What oil for a new VW Beetle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by widetrax
Got a new VW convertible, with approx1,800mileson it,what oil to use to change it? The Mobile 1, or what else is out here?

Brand is about the last thing that is important, the required approval is foremost. Once you know that, buy the least expensive oil you can find which has the required approval. Grade and brand are irrelevant.

The owners manual says '' use VW 508 '' [ or something ] but I'm not sure what type of oil this is, Anybody here know?

The owners manual says: das beste öl, nicht scheiße für volkswagen, dieselöl funktioniert am besten

Last edited:
The owners manual says '' use VW 508 '' [ or something ] but I'm not sure what type of oil this is, Anybody here know?

There are several threads in the Euro forum about this new spec.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Got a new VW convertible, with approx1,800mileson it,what oil to use to change it? The Mobile 1, or what else is out here?

Brand is about the last thing that is important, the required approval is foremost. Once you know that, buy the least expensive oil you can find which has the required approval. Grade and brand are irrelevant.

This. If it meets the speed it's good to go.

If it calls for 508.00/509.00, you won't be getting that oil at Walmart or your local parts house. See the European oil section of Bob Is The Oil Guy.

I use VW spec 508 in my 2019 Passat. It is a 0W-20 oil and is REQUIRED to maintain warranty coverage. All oil meeting this spec has a greenish color and apparently the VW/Audi folks lookr this if there is engine trouble. I get my oil changed at the dealer with the Castrol Professional stuff meeting this spec. You can easily buy it at the parts window of any VW dealer. There are indeed other oils that meet this spec but the Castrol at the dealer is the easiest to find.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I use VW spec 508 in my 2019 Passat. It is a 0W-20 oil and is REQUIRED to maintain warranty coverage. All oil meeting this spec has a greenish color and apparently the VW/Audi folks lookr this if there is engine trouble. I get my oil changed at the dealer with the Castrol Professional stuff meeting this spec. You can easily buy it at the parts window of any VW dealer. There are indeed other oils that meet this spec but the Castrol at the dealer is the easiest to find.

100% on every point.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Boomer

100% on every point.

Yup

Dealer oil is also among the cheapest...

NAPA may have Liqui Moly (Top Tec 6200 I believe), they can get it if they don't have it...

The M1 meeting spec is allegedly available from Porsche dealers

Go to Mobile then,,,, Why not change the oil early, it sees best to me,,,

People will argue this vehemently both ways... IMO why not is because it is not necessary. In case you're wondering if I will put my money where my mouth is check out the UOA section.

The factory oil in my jetta was the best oil it had. Keep it at least 7K.

The car has a filter. And a really high bypass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back