Regretted Selling a Car?

I tend to get attached to my cars, so IF I were to sell them, I'd probably regret it. That's why I haven't sold them. I've never really sold a car in my life. I've traded in a couple of my wife's cars. I never really got attached to those. Other than the financial sting, I didn't regret it.

I had two cars that I should've never bought. I was glad to see both of those go. I didn't really sell them though. One got totaled in an accident (does "selling" to the insurance company count as selling?) The other one I parted out and I let someone come over to haul the bare carcass off to the scrapyard.

I've kept cars soooooo long(years & mileage) that getting rid of them was actually a blessing. Mostly because they were used up or just too much trouble to keep any longer. But, there were a couple of them that I wished I had never bought.

Maybe once, a 1972 Mustang. Now that I think of it, it was a POS and it was a smart move.

Most recent regret is trading my '17 Mustang V6 for an '18 Ecoboost. Ecoboost is faster, but that V6 sounded so much better, and the 6-speed auto was MUCH smoother than the 10 in the Ecoboost. Still don't know why I did it.

2008 CR-V. Probably the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever had, bought it brand new. 120,000 miles, never a check engine light, no rust, interior was spotless, and it was paid off. Only thing I ever had to repair on it was a cracked nylon bushing on the hood prop rod. Must have been smoking something and thought I would trade up to a larger vehicle, a used 2010 Traverse. Big mistake. Went from the most trouble-free to the most problematic vehicle. When the timing chains wore out on the Traverse at 170,000 miles, it was going to cost more than it was worth to fix it, and I'm sure the CR-V would have easily outlasted it.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I regret trading in my 04 S60R.

I think your the first person in history who's regretted trading in a Volvo.
May I ask what particularly did you like or favor about it that isn't available in other cars in the segment?

I couldn't wait to get out of my 03 S60 SE.
Best decision I ever made.
Only things I missed was the front seat comfort and the "built for the Arctic" heaters.
Everything about that car screamed "comfy" and "old person".

Originally Posted by AZjeff
A little bit right now. Last evening I sold the 1986 Samurai tintop we've had for 17 years. Had lots of fun with it and it held memories and sentimental value but we just haven't been using it and the new house doesn't have a place to keep it inside. Upside is the new owner is thrilled with it.

How much did you get for it if you don't mind me asking? I have a stock 87 tintop and they seem to be bringing ridiculous amounts of money these days..

My 2011 Kia Forte Koup. First car I ever bought... I miss it... lots of memories in that car. I was young and dumb (20) when I decided to trade it in for the Durango, which I do not miss.

I remember buying a new 1994 Honda Civic coupe. It was a white manual. Kind of felt like a go cart after the 1983 Cutlass Supreme I had as a first car. I couldn't wait to get rid of it being so small. But after trading it in I missed it a bit. It was ultra reliable and fun to drive. Only had 45k miles on it. Back in the day it only took $11 or so to fill it up. The 99 Accord coupe I bought seemed to double the fuel cost to fill up. Gas prices rose around that time and the fuel tank was bigger in that car.

My 2001 BMW M5, which I traded on my 2014 SRT8 Charger. I should have just kept it, I didn't keep the Charger, ended up trading it on the 2016 SRT Jeep. I could have kept the M5 and just bought an SRT Jeep and skipped the whole Charger thing. I could have had the door bottoms fixed (passenger side, had some rust bubbling) and got a driveshaft for it from the states, which would have been fine to wait on if it was parked. It would have been a great summer-only car, and was a hoot to drive.

I had a manual Acura Legend. I traded it in the late 90s for my then-wife to get a Pathfinder. I miss it, it was a good driver and would do speeds well in excess of 100mph drama free, no shakes or rattles or anything. Had comfortable leather seats. It wasn't fast by today's standards but the stick helped it get the most out of it's 230HP. Very reliable. Just a great Honda from the greatest era of Hondas.

69 Chevelle 2dr post sedan. Was originally a 6 cyl and 3 on the tree. Really rare and unusual car. I put a 302 in it. It was a real screamer! It ran a 14.47 in the 1/4 mile with a 2bbl carb. I put a 4 bbl on it but never ran it at the track with it.

me? MAYBE my 87 Olds, but only for sentimental reasons, it was my late grandfather's car.. every so often i have dreams where I've somehow reacquired it. and the Y2k Sonata I had after it... so maybe 2.. no dreams about the Neon or Sable yet, bu the neon is still around. It Belongs to My buddy's Little brother, who is currently serving in Korea, so it's at my buddy's house.

now I know 2 that my brother regrets b/c he loved them both, and he took a big $$ hit in the whole process..

He Traded in, a '13 Challenger (R/T+, blacktop) on a new '16 EB Mustang.

He LOVED the Mustang. it just had too many issues. had to replace a tire the first week he owned it (road hazard), then after a month or so it developed a driveline vibration that no one could track down...typical "oh.. they all do that..." kind of responses from the dealer...

after 3 months he was fed up, and traded it in on a 2015 Challenger R/T+.

shortly after that he moved back up here from TX, and after the move he's hardly driven the Chally. I doubt it's gone 1k mi in the last 4 yrs.( and it crossed the 2k mi mark when I took it out for a quick spin the night the transport Driver dropped it off here)
(oh, he paid cash for both, and the dodge dealer tried to say they could only give him $16 for the 3 month old, mustang w/ less than 3k on the dash.. he talked 'em up to $20... they turned around and listed it for $27k, which was more than HE paid for it in the first place..)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I regret trading in my 04 S60R.

I think your the first person in history who's regretted trading in a Volvo.
May I ask what particularly did you like or favor about it that isn't available in other cars in the segment?

I couldn't wait to get out of my 03 S60 SE.
Best decision I ever made.
Only things I missed was the front seat comfort and the "built for the Arctic" heaters.
Everything about that car screamed "comfy" and "old person".

The S60R was a gem of a car. 300hp, 300ft-lb torque, 6 speed manual, AWD, 4 pot Brembos on all 4 corners, Active suspension. Plus it was quiet, which is completely opposite of the Mustang, but was nice because I could still fit in with the econoboxes.

Originally Posted by provels
Sure, my 1966 Vette, 427/390. And I regret not buying my neighbor's 1962 Fuelie for $10K.

Originally Posted by Bud
65 and 72 Corvettes.
C2 Corvettes and a big block no less, yikes! This is what I came to see!

Back