Sirius radio Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has had a version of Sirius radio in her sewing room for about 9 years. Late last year, she found she was no longer listening to it and decided to end her subscription. That is when the "fun" started.

She called and after several hours of being bounced around from person to person, they would NOT let her discontinue her subscription. The last person she talked to said, "Good luck with that!" So she called the credit card company and had them refuse to pay Sirius anymore. They agreed and apparently we were not the first to go this route.

Then the calls started. Ten or more times a day from Sirius. Then the letters in the mail. Finally after about 6 weeks, this has slowed to a trickle. I have to say, this is a company I would NEVER do business with. They appear to be unethical and unreasonable. If you are thinking about joining with a subscription, BEWARE!

Someone previously posted to never give them your credit card info . He said he insist they send him a paper bill via snail mail .

This is the Sirius standard. I went through this about 8 years ago on my Duramax. The way I finally ended it was I had to contact my bank and shut off the billing on my Visa. The people are thugs not businessmen in good standing. It seems most States are putting up with this thievery I've seen no States that's AG's have taken them to task.

I bought a used Ridgeline from a dealer 3 months ago. A 6 month subscription to Sirius/XM was included. Because I like it I called and negotiated to continue for a year beyond the 6 months for $60 + fees. It took a little time. I just kept saying no to the offers. The difference here may be that they didn't have my CC #.

Interesting. We just renewed our subscription at a reduced rate and they sent us an Amazon Echo Dot for being a long time customer.

I call in to cancel all the time and have no problem. Of course they offer a huge discount so I keep the service, but they always seem willing to cancel and I never wait on hold.

Just cancelling the card isn't a good idea, you still were subscribed to the service and they will bill you for it.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I call in to cancel all the time and have no problem. Of course they offer a huge discount so I keep the service, but they always seem willing to cancel and I never wait on hold.

Just cancelling the card isn't a good idea, you still were subscribed to the service and they will bill you for it.

Same here. The problem seems to be if you call the regular number. There's a separate number you can call for cancellations and they seem to handle it without the hard sell.

I have cancelled multiple times without issue on multiple radios. Never had a problem.
Just call the cancellation number, tell them I want to cancel, tell them no to their offers, and it is done.
I do get e-mails and snail mail with offers, but those are easy enough to ignore.

With the integration options of cell phones and car radios, using Pandora/Spotify/Amazon Music makes more sense than satellite unless you do a lot of traveling in areas with poor cell service.

I have a personal beef with them, too. After the trial period on my new Camry, I changed to one of the mid-tier plans. The one without Stern. I like Stern, just didn't want to pay the extra scratch every month for him. That was fine. The billing was amateurish and surprising coming from a big company like that. One day I received an email that I could download their app to have access to their channel listings and special programs. Based on that, they bumped me up to their top-tier plan and sent me a bill. I never agreed to a more expensive plan so I called them up and bumped down to their cheapest plan. It's ok. Could use a few more stations. It's like $5.50 a month.

They need some way to buffer the broadcast so that you don't lose it every time you drive under an overpass.

I use paper billing with them and the price negotiating is easy. I've heard different stories about leaving them. Some people say it's a 5 minute call and some it's a three month ordeal.

With nearly every AM and FM frequency taken around here, it shows you that all terrestrial radio as a listenable product is dead. I'm not paying for streaming only based service, so it's either SXM or free streams.

I've got it active in 2 vehicles and just call to threaten to cancel each year right before they renew me at full price. I think it works out to just over $6.00 a month per radio which is fine. I don't have Stern but do have the online access included for that price.

Originally Posted by Boomer
So what is the cancellation number?????

I've always used 866-635-5027. As others said you can normally do their discount rate of $60 for a year or about $30 for 5 months. They will probably offer you $99 for a year first and maybe some other discount before that. But their best goes down to the $30 or $60 offer. I just call and tell them to cancel if you can't do the $60 for a year and they do it every time even though they might say it was just a one time deal. Got it down to about 5 minutes as several of those minutes are of them reading the terms to you.

A good source for info is www.xmfan.com for SAT radio. I have never tried to cancel-I have been getting a discounted rate since they have started business. Yes-they start out with their highest rate-but after I say I will cancel with their first offers-the offer usually gets down to the $5.00ish dollar a month for their "Select Package".

For those of us who travel in the great expanses of "The West" this is a great service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Interesting. We just renewed our subscription at a reduced rate and they sent us an Amazon Echo Dot for being a long time customer.

Same. My rate dropped from ~$7/mo to ~$6/mo and the $6 includes the new phone app allowing you to stream siriusXM anywhere. I didn't get any 'free' swag though.

I hate the idea of paying for radio, but there's a few talk shows I really like and I like a bunch of the music stations.

If I ever do cancel, I'll go the CC company route. My yearly calls to them to renew are quick, easy and professional. I always start by going the "I wish to cancel" route, but I would imagine cancelling for real isn't so quick and easy.

Originally Posted by JTK
... but I would imagine cancelling for real isn't so quick and easy.

It really is quick and easy.
Call and say "I want to cancel my service and do not want any other offers, please do not extend this call longer than cancelling my service". If they start a sales pitch, again say I just want to cancel and that is all.
Less than 5 minutes and you are done.
No idea why so may have issues with it?

I had a portable rig that I used in my vehicles before they started coming with radios that were ready for satellite, and when I called to cancel it was quick and painless. Could be because I already had a plan on the Sonata...not sure.

The other thing I have noticed is once you get a deal it's easy to get that same deal again, I just flat out tell them when I call if they don't give the same deal I want to cancel. The last time though I really was going to cancel, I told the lady I was tired of having to call every 5 months to get a good deal, she came back and gave me the $6 a month for a year, with taxes and fees it's like $6.29 a month. I can deal with it once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back