Castrol Edge 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought three 5 qt jugs of this on amazon for about $55 shipped / $16.55 each plus tax.
It was advertised at $17.49 each but at the checkout the lower price showed up so I bought 3 instead of just 2.

I'm going to run this in the Prius starting in the Spring.

Good price.

I ran it in the fiancee's 18 Civic 1.5T this last fill. 6200+ miles. I took a sample - just need to find time to get it sent off.

During the time it was in there, she was working only about 3 miles from home, so, I'm not expecting a great UOA.

VME 0W-20 I got on clearance from AZ went in this time.

I've never run castrol except when I raced motor cross in the 90's using their 2 cycle which was king back then. I did however score a bunch of maxlife 0-20 synthetic for $1.92 a qt that I'm gonna back spec in my 09 Nissan 2.5 as an experiment to slow down consumption or blow it up.

I used to run Castrol conv in my '94 Honda Civic that I bought new and put 255k miles on.
I did a Castrol conv 10w30 or 5w30 + Honda OEM filter change with it every 3k miles and it seemed to do a great job.

Hi friends. I'm a long time reader and first time poster.

Hoping there are a few oil gurus here that can weigh in. I have a 2019 range rover evoque and like many, I would like to change my own oil more frequently than every 16K miles indicated in the manual.

Of course the manual specifies using oil that complies with the STJLR.51.5122 spec which is:
CASTROL EDGE Professional E 0W-20 (Product Code: 468056) $15 per Quart
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...018025845100071859/$File/BPXE-A9VG8C.pdf
Ingredients from the Safety Sheet:
- Synthetic base stock. Highly refined base oil (IP 346 DMSO extract < 3%). Proprietary performance additives.
- Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic â¥75 - â¤90
- Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic â¤5
- Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic â¤3

However, I also found this oil for only $7 per quart which complies with the Audio/VW 508/509 spec:
Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 (Product Code: 469279)
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...5E802582F3006B6939/$File/BPXE-AKE6LY.pdf
- Synthetic base stock. Highly refined base oil (IP 346 DMSO extract < 3%). Proprietary performance additives.
- Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic â¥25 - - 1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated â¥10 - â¤25
- Dec-1-ene, homopolymer, hydrogenated Dec-1-ene, oligomers, hydrogenated â¥10 - â¤25
- Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic â¤10

As you can see they are fairly similar but the LL IV FE obviously has more additives/ingredients however:
Both are Castrol Edge Professional
Both have this Titaniam FST (whatever that is)
Both are the same weight.

So although they are not the exact same, does one product or the other appear to be superior? Should I just pay the $15 per quart for the E version or is the LL IV FE product inferior and hence why it is $7 per quart?

Thanks for your input:
Brian200001
2019 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Landmark Edition
1999 Porsche Boxster

seems a way more high-end formulation with up-to 50% PAO

Originally Posted by Brian200001

Hoping there are a few oil gurus here that can weigh in. I have a 2019 range rover evoque and like many, I would like to change my own oil more frequently than every 16K miles indicated in the manual.

Of course the manual specifies using oil that complies with the STJLR.51.5122 spec which is:

However, I also found this oil for only $7 per quart which complies with the Audio/VW 508/509 spec:
- Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic â¥25 - - 1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated â¥10 - â¤25
- Dec-1-ene, homopolymer, hydrogenated Dec-1-ene, oligomers, hydrogenated â¥10 - â¤25

As you can see they are fairly similar but the LL IV FE obviously has more additives/ingredients however:

So although they are not the exact same, does one product or the other appear to be superior? Should I just pay the $15 per quart for the E version or is the LL IV FE product inferior and hence why it is $7 per quart?

Thanks for your input:
Brian200001
1999 Porsche Boxster

Just a future reference for something this specific you should make your own threat.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser

Thanks for your input:
Brian200001
1999 Porsche Boxster

Just a future reference for something this specific you should make your own threat.

What Threat is he making?

Sorry, didn't mean to threaten anyone.
smile.gif

Actually I thought this was a Castrol EDGE Professional oil thread. My bad.

Thanks for your input:
Brian200001
1999 Porsche Boxster

I don't have the HTHS viscosity to run a calculation, but it's very likely that LL IV FE 0W-20 is made from a considerably thinner base oil and it contains considerably more viscosity-index improver (VII). These are evident from a higher KV100 and a higher VI.

LL IV FE also has a weaker additive package (less sulphated ash).

As a result LL IV FE will result in more engine wear and more engine deposits than E C5 in a demanding engine like a Jaguar engine.

I wouldn't get the cheap LL IV FE 0W-20, even if it contains PAO.

If cost is an issue, there are other oils that have the Jaguar specs, such as the Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20.

I hope this helps. Some OEM 0W-20 specs are very strict, and most 0W-20 oils don't satisfy them.

Yes of course. Just my dry sense of humor.

Gotta remember, society is overly sensitive in this day and age. Lots of folks don't get humor.

Sorry, didn't mean to threaten anyone.
smile.gif

Actually I thought this was a Castrol EDGE Professional oil thread. My bad.

lol.gif

Thanks for the reply and your knowlege.
It looks like Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 is also not readily available.
I'm fine with buying the Castrol EDGE Professional if I need to but really only see it online at rover parts for nearly $16 a quart which is more than outrageous.

I've seen some other oils which also have the STJLR.51.5122 spec such as:
- Liqui Moly Special Tec LR 0W-20
- Motul Specific 5122
- Revenol

But those are all climbing high enough in price where I may as well go with the Catrol product. I was really just trying to find a Castrol product that was of the same or better quality which was MORE readily available and not just from a one or two sources.

The only other Castrol Edge Pro alternative I was eyeing that appears to check almost every box is
CASTROL EDGE HIGH MILEAGE - ADVANCED FULL SYNTHETIC which was about $10.
- Superior protection in direct injection engines, including GDI Turbo, FSI, SIDI and EcoBoost (My car has a turbo)
- Exceeds API SN Plus, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A1/B1 C5, GM Dexos1 Gen 2, Ford WSS-M2C947-B1

I'm fine with buying the Castrol EDGE Professional if I need to but really only see it online at rover parts for nearly $16 a quart which is more than outrageous.

- Motul Specific 5122
- Revenol

But those are all climbing high enough in price where I may as well go with the Catrol product. I was really just trying to find a Castrol product that was of the same or better quality which was MORE readily available and not just from a one or two sources.

The only other Castrol Edge Pro alternative I was eyeing that appears to check almost every box is
- Superior protection in direct injection engines, including GDI Turbo, FSI, SIDI and EcoBoost (My car has a turbo)
- Exceeds API SN Plus, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A1/B1 C5, GM Dexos1 Gen 2, Ford WSS-M2C947-B1

You can find the Castrol for much cheaper than $16 a qt...

The fist image is for a complete oil change kit, including the filter and drain plug...

Capture.PNG

- Motul Specific 5122
- Revenol

Don't go with any oil that doesn't have the Jaguar spec. As I explained the oils with the Jaguar spec have less viscosity-index improver (VII) and likely a stronger additive package. It'll also probably void your warranty if you use off-spec oils.

As a side note, the more the VII content is, the better the fuel economy is because the oil runs thinner throughout the operating-temperature region and temporary-shears more in higher-shear scenarios. This is why the other, cheaper flavor is called "FE." However, you sacrifice the engine-wear protection and increase the engine and turbocharger deposits.

At the end of the day, we really do not know if the Castrol LL IV FE or Castrol E C5 is a better oil. As I said earlier, I could have run a calculation if I had the HTHS, but Castrol doesn't provide it.

Actually if I plug in HTHS = 2.6 cP for both, I get 50% more VII in the E C5, which makes the LL IV FE a better oil from an engine- and turbocharger-deposits point of view, especially considering that the LL IV FE has a good amount of PAO. So, the Jaguar spec could be a marketing ploy from Castrol that they like to have separate oils for separate OEMs. If Jaguar owners are willing to pay more for oil, why not take advantage of it and make more money?

Despite what I said earlier, you would probably be A-OK with the LL IV FE, but you are stuck with Jaguar-spec oils because of warranty issues.

The OP was looking for an oil for his Prius.....

The one we all are commenting on was looking for oil for his Range Rover Evoque.....

Why would he need a specific 'Jaguar spec' oil?

from the oils its very apparent which one is the more high-end oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back