Chromium-based Microsoft Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an old i5 desktop today and decided to play with the new Chromium-based Edge before removing the HDD and sticking Ubuntu on a new one. They've dressed it up pretty nicely and have well-integrated a (as-yet not quite feature complete) Microsoft sync service. It looks like with the flip of a switch you can allow Edge to use Chrome extensions (the option, if I recall the wording correctly, was to use extensions "from other stores"). It also appears as though they have some anti-malware stuff baked in there as Google does.

That pretty much competes a clean sweep of most major browsers using Chromium as a base; leaving Firefox to stand alone.

Last edited:
There's always Maxthon.

Seriously, the best thing about Edge getting Chromium is the crippled enterprise Windows workstation has a better chance of talking to modern external web sites.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
I bought an old i5 desktop today and decided to play with the new Chromium-based Edge before removing the HDD and sticking Ubuntu on a new one. They've dressed it up pretty nicely and have well-integrated a (as-yet not quite feature complete) Microsoft sync service. It looks like with the flip of a switch you can allow Edge to use Chrome extensions (the option, if I recall the wording correctly, was to use extensions "from other stores"). It also appears as though they have some anti-malware stuff baked in there as Google does.

That pretty much competes a clean sweep of most major browsers using Chromium as a base; leaving Firefox to stand alone.

The latest EDGE Chromium browser is pretty good and fast. I did import Chrome bookmarks to see how it would look. Unfortunately EDGE still wants to put bookmarks in alphabetical order, which some might like, but I do not.

Originally Posted by TTK
Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

The latest EDGE Chromium browser is pretty good and fast. I did import Chrome bookmarks to see how it would look. Unfortunately EDGE still wants to put bookmarks in alphabetical order, which some might like, but I do not.

You can manage your "Favourites", as Microsoft still insists on calling them, manually by dragging them into the order you wish; at least on the version I toyed around with. Ctrl+Shift+O or click the "Favourties" icon and select "Manage Favourties".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back