Reason for new car problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason for Hemi and Chrysler problems perhaps, I wouldn't generalize every car make in the same category.

This pertains to all the new cars and trucks. Junk parts that are not made in house and in the manufactures country. And is why everything is junk now.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
This pertains to all the new cars and trucks. Junk parts that are not made in house and in the manufactures country. And is why everything is junk now.

Didn't watch the video. But now I wonder: did people in the (1930's? 1940's? 1950's? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? 1990's?) sit around and chat about how wonderful their cars were, how long lived and how well designed, and how they never failed, etc?

Originally Posted by supton

Didn't watch the video. But now I wonder: did people in the (1930's? 1940's? 1950's? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? 1990's?) sit around and chat about how wonderful their cars were, how long lived and how well designed, and how they never failed, etc?

Good point. If everything is junk now, when weren't they junk?

When I was a Pup , a car was more or less worn out / due for replacement by 100,000 miles . Needed a tune up around every 10,000 miles .

On the whole , they seem to be lasting longer / better , these days .

But they cost 10 or 20 times as much! I remember when everyone used to trade every 2-3 yrs nobody leased so reputation of product was important.
Now with leasing, all the manufacturers care for is getting over the warranty period, that's also reflected in the maintenance schedule, after that it's not their problem.

Originally Posted by Pelican
But they cost 10 or 20 times as much!

We've had threads about this--the price of a mid size has more or less tracked inflation. The number might be 10x but so is one's income, give or take.

But you may have a point--these days, people have more places to spend their money--cell phones and fancy vacations, cable TV and who knows what else. Thus it's all the more tempting to lease or use long loan periods, especially after rolling in some negative equity. Then again, the fact that banks will offer such long loans means that they know that cars hold their value longer than ever (in case of default the bank gets the vehicle, and the house always wins--they know how to "bank" their bets so that they always win). That gets us right back to where we were--are cars actually worse off?

True , but everything is affected by inflation .

Purchase good used vehicles at a good price & then drive it until it lays down and dies . Repeat .

Originally Posted by Leo99

I personally thought that around the advent of commonly available EFI (1988-1990 or so), until around 2004-5, seemed to be the sweet spot for reliability. Then all kinds of useless gee-gaws like TPMS, DPF on diesels, enhanced emissions, and other potential trouble seemed to arrive.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Purchase good used vehicles at a good price & then drive it until it lays down and dies . Repeat .

I need to make that my sig!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I personally thought that around the advent of commonly available EFI (1988-1990 or so), until around 2004-5, seemed to be the sweet spot for reliability. Then all kinds of useless gee-gaws like TPMS, DPF on diesels, enhanced emissions, and other potential trouble seemed to arrive.

Indeed. In terms of reliability... the 90's seem like a sweet spot. Low number of things yet computer control was pretty good. At the very least diagnosis and debug was easier, the computers got rid of miles of vacuum lines, made the engine run better (and longer), and the option level on most cars wasn't too bad. Not saying it's all gone now but it feels like there was an intersection of curves in that decade.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

People were up in arms when EFI came out. They wanted their trusty carburetors. Not this newfangled computerized stuff that was something to break and impossible to troubleshoot.

Time will tell if new cars today are the next golden age.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Excellent philosophy!

People were up in arms when EFI came out. They wanted their trusty carburetors. Not this newfangled computerized stuff that was something to break and impossible to troubleshoot.

Oh I remember those days. Nobody liked it. But I still wonder if this current vintage will age as well as the 90's vintage--time will tell.

Oh I remember those days. Nobody liked it. But I still wonder if this current vintage will age as well as the 90's vintage--time will tell.

The 90's cars aged well??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back