Oil for Honda Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SimpleGuy48
Do you still have this mower? I have the same one - 10W30 conventional it's entire life and still going strong after 29 years!

Yes, I still have it. Using M1 0W-40 in it (and in my 30+ year old air compressor)

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I hoping to give my GCV160 a good start. Last season i started using Amsoil 10W30/30W.

Well 11 years later it's still going strong. I've ran T5 the last 3 years.

Wow! I'm not sure when the shift occurred, but the HRM21/HRS21 with the GXV110 motor really has a quality feel to it that is lacking in year 2000 and up motors. I'd have thought after 25+ years of seasonal use that a valve or bearing would have gone awry by now, but this has not been the case. I'm just going to keep maintaining mine as it has always been maintained. I'd swear this machine is better than contemporary commercial small engines.

Lot of Honda GXV users! Droooolll... I'm jealous. Ugh. I have two HRX217 plastic deck mowers. One has a GCV190, the other has a Predator 173 (long story). I've generally used Amsoil DEO 5w-40 in them. I buy a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs of it a year. The GCV190 has also had leftover Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 TDT as well. They don't care. Darn things run like they were built yesterday.

Originally Posted by SimpleGuy48
Wow! I'm not sure when the shift occurred, but the HRM21/HRS21 with the GXV110 motor really has a quality feel to it that is lacking in year 2000 and up motors. I'd have thought after 25+ years of seasonal use that a valve or bearing would have gone awry by now, but this has not been the case. I'm just going to keep maintaining mine as it has always been maintained. I'd swear this machine is better than contemporary commercial small engines.

Honda WAY overbuilt those mowers 25 to 30 years ago. To buy the same quality today, you would have to spend $1000 or more to get a similar mower.

I bought my 30 year old Honda aluminum deck HR214SXA mower in 1989, and paid $560 for it. About 2 years ago I replaced the carb, with a genuine Honda part, and also replaced the asymmetric, dual diameter fuel line. No other repairs have been necessary. Still on the same catch bag. Still runs well. I kept the old carb, as rebuild kits are still available form Honda.

In contrast to that, I had to prematurely mothball my 13 year old Stihl string trimmer because of a bad shaft bearing that Stihl USA chooses to no longer stock as a replacement part.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

In contrast to that, I had to prematurely mothball my 13 year old Stihl string trimmer because of a bad shaft bearing that Stihl USA chooses to no longer stock as a replacement part.

Did you check for that part on the internet? (Ebay? )

Unfortunately lots of parts are no longer available for Stihl. My dad has at least eight old Stihl trimmers hanging in the garage that he can't get parts for.

My 2 year old Honda GVC 160 -- I use T6 Multi Vehicle Rotella 5W30 and change at the beginning of every season. Hoping to get 17 years out of this mower like I did my Lawn Boy with the Tecumesh engine gave me. Lawn Boy deck rotted out at too many places but the motor still started every year with the first pull.

Originally Posted by RyanY
[...Unfortunately lots of parts are no longer available for Stihl. My dad has at least eight old Stihl trimmers hanging in the garage that he can't get parts for.

Planned obsolescence from Stihl.

My log splitter has a Honda engine.

5/10w30 and SAE 30 depending on temperature. It stresses not to use too thick of oil in colder weather because it could damage the cylinder walls.

I realize this is for a mower that'd typically be used in moderate to warmer weather, but this just goes to show how things change throughout the years. 10w40 year round to too thick of oil could cause damage. Lol.

The owner's manual for my 20 year old Honda mower, with the GXV120 engine, specifies a 10W40 oil for all temperature use. For the last year I have been using Rotella 10W30 in this old mower. Are the latest Honda mowers still using 10W40, or is Honda recommending a lighter oil for their latest mowers?

The 1985 owners manual for the GXV160 asks for 10w40. The 2005 manual asks for 10w30 or straight 30. The 2014 owners manual asks for 5w30, 10w30 or straight 30.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back