Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
None lab results
Can't make this stuff up in a controlled lab room

None lab results

I was trying to figure out what type of vehicle this is, which was rear ended? I am not sure it is a pickup truck. The only clue are the wheels.

Any guesses?

Prayers for the occupants.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Rolled up by the big rig ? I'm guessing Chevy

It is a half ton Silverado.
It has 6 lug wheels. So any half ton Chevy vehicle. Based on the length of the word on the door I am going Silverado.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Best F100
None lab results

None lab results

I was trying to figure out what type of vehicle this is, which was rear ended? I am not sure it is a pickup truck. The only clue are the wheels.

Any guesses?

Prayers for the occupants.

Full size Chevy
Two deceased

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I looked for 3/4 ton and up. I guess they don't crash test those?

I found a few videos on F-250's

Originally Posted by 4WD

A big issue in ladder frames, was getting them to where they crushed more and still offered some protection. The really old trucks ? When they hit something solid, just as well be in a tank.
The driver took the hard hit. They made them all to crush now - stuff airbags everywhere.

Thank advances in metallurgy and engineering. While GM was the first to hydroform aluminum for structural elements of the Corvette, Ford took that technique along with HSLA steel(that Mercedes and Volvo used a decade before) to form the frame on the later Panther cars. It allowed the frame to be designed to be strong yet yield in a crash.

Crumple zones are engineered to fail in the interest of hopefully keeping the occupants inside of a car from getting seriously injured in a crash.

Yeah, 6 lug/5 spoke common on 1500 Chevy … 6/6 on the GMC

Can also see the boxy wheel wells some folks just love.
I find they make it easier to wash sand and mud out

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by 4WD

A big issue in ladder frames, was getting them to where they crushed more and still offered some protection. The really old trucks ? When they hit something solid, just as well be in a tank.
The driver took the hard hit. They made them all to crush now - stuff airbags everywhere.

Thank advances in metallurgy and engineering. While GM was the first to hydroform aluminum for structural elements of the Corvette, Ford took that technique along with HSLA steel(that Mercedes and Volvo used a decade before) to form the frame on the later Panther cars. It allowed the frame to be designed to be strong yet yield in a crash.

Crumple zones are engineered to fail in the interest of hopefully keeping the occupants inside of a car from getting seriously injured in a crash.

What with all the recalled Toyota frames one got a chance to look closely at the scrap piles at the Toyota dealers. Those ladder frames are anything but straight--by not making perpendicular but giving all sorts of angles, I think I can see how they can be stiff in one direction yet yield easily in any other.

Originally Posted by 4WD

It has 6 lug wheels. So any half ton Chevy vehicle. Based on the length of the word on the door I am going Silverado.

Originally Posted by 4WD

I believe you are correct. That photo was posted on another forum. The pickup is believed to be a 2014 or 15 Silverado.

It's hard to find fault in the Silverado construction. A tractor trailer of that size, weight and speed could crumbled a Mercedes or Volvo to the same extent.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
So Ford, RAM and Nissan all get a "1", Chevy gets a "2" and Toyota gets a "3" is that the intended takeaway?

You be the judge and jury, I just posted the pics for kicks and giggles. Pics don't lie

I was going by the comments, as that's what they seem to convey.

I'd say 4 look pretty good to me. But there's one thats called most reliable truck in the market failed terribly in my opinion.

yep most reliable......not safest.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back