Selling the VW need a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ram_man
I have found a couple accords with the k24 and a 5sp manual. They all have 170-200,000 miles. All around $3500.
At that mileage is it even worth considering?

Yes, they will be still good cars
smile.gif

The Echo and Yaris are good choices, too

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I have found a couple accords with the k24 and a 5sp manual. They all have 170-200,000 miles. All around $3500.

Yes, they will be still good cars
smile.gif

The Echo and Yaris are good choices, too

While really good choices mechanically/reliability, it may not be really comfy for 5 hours with a car seat, adults, stroller, + othr kiddos.

Up the mazda 3 suggestion to a Mazda5, pre 2011, to get to your price point.

I have an 09 vw rabbit that we are selling. It's a joy to drive. However it's not the easiest to work on. Some jobs on it make me cringe thinking I may have to do them at some point. I expect to get around $3500 for it.
I plan on taking that money and buying a 4 door car.
My only requirements are 4 doors, manual transmission and parts that are easy and plentiful to get. This car will be doing a 5 hour round trip once a month sometimes twice a month. So parts availability if something were to happen is important.
I'd love to own a Honda but they hold there value so well. Is it worth spending 3500 for a Honda with 150,000 miles give or take?
What are some cars I should look into? I want something that can last a long while and be reliable.
We were going to buy a new van or small SUV but I just couldn't bring myself to sign up for a higher car payment and for a longer amount of time. I look forward to hearing suggestions and input from everyone.

A quick search on cars or autotrader for manual/stick and under $5,000, 100 miles radius gives you what?

I took a 1998 Accord from 175k to 295k... Paid about that for it. Very little work required on it, still ran fine when I sold it. This was F23 motor, I mean "engine", though.

Good fuel economy, too, typically around 28mpg for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
So you're selling a car that's running fine because it might be trouble some day?

Pretty odd justification.

Saturn S-series is your ride to the prom.

+1

I'd keep the rabbit. Not sure what repairs are scary or difficult. I kind of regret getting rid of ours... loved that car

MK4 time for you, my boy. MK4 City Golfs in good shape should still be plentiful, and they are solid as a rock with the 2.0. I'm not sure what your expectations are in terms of old cars, but if you like VWs you will like a MK4 and they are as cheap as any other contemporary compact car to fix. There are still so many of them still around because of their corrosion resistance, so they are cheap to purchase.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Why a requirement that it's a stick shift? Sounds silly to me.

I guess it's silly just my preference. I'm a purist in that regard. I don't like automatics. And manual's are more reliable and simpler.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
So you're selling a car that's running fine because it might be trouble some day?

+1

I'd keep the rabbit. Not sure what repairs are scary or difficult. I kind of regret getting rid of ours... loved that car

If it was a 4 door I would keep it. It's a joy to drive. The scary part is the part houses don't have much for it without ordering parts. The timing chain looks like a bear the water pump is also kind of burried. Other than that nothing is that bad I suppose. I just hate the 2 door aspect. It makes getting a car seat in and out , particularly a pumpkin seat a bear

Originally Posted by JHZR2

+1

If it was a 4 door I would keep it. It's a joy to drive. The scary part is the part houses don't have much for it without ordering parts. The timing chain looks like a bear the water pump is also kind of burried. Other than that nothing is that bad I suppose. I just hate the 2 door aspect. It makes getting a car seat in and out , particularly a pumpkin seat a bear

Missed the two door part. Yeah that's a real pain.

I'd look for a Jetta wagon or rabbit/golf 4dr MT honestly. Certainly over a nearly 200k mile Honda. That thing will need repairs, not sure how scary their timing belt is compared to the vw. You can measure timing chain wear (good call recognizing that chains too need to be replaced) to see if it needs to be done. Never had to look at wp on our 2.5...

Edit: yeah the lift/drop of the wp looks a bit scary. But sucking it up and taking that job to the dealer, on a 4dr hatch/wagon if it checked the other boxes, IMO, isn't the end of the world.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5260006-Water-pump-change-How-to

Last edited:

Yeah, getting rid of a car because it COULD have problems, and limiting the new(er) car budget to what you sell the old car for, is peculiar.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl

Yeah, getting rid of a car because it COULD have problems, and limiting the new(er) car budget to what you sell the old car for, is peculiar.

Somebody didn't read the whole post.

Baby on the way, you need to get something safe and reliable. 3500$ wont get you that. Sounds like money is tight, am I right? How many vehicles do you have? Dart, Ram, and VW Rabbit? Why so many? Personally, I would ditch all 3 and put the proceeds into a sane yet reliable recent-ish used car. Guessing you would save also on insurance and registration too from cutting back to just one. Id get something with under 60k miles. Corolla, Camry, Civic, Accord..many others also come to mind. Just my .02 cents.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I want something that can last a long while and be reliable.

For $3500?

Is there a reason you'd be driving a $3500 unknown car on 5 hour round trips with a baby on board and leave the 2014 Dart in your sig at home? A quick look on our local Craigslist shows Japanese compacts with 150k plus miles and 15 years old. Or Crown Vics. You're rolling the dice.

+1

OP; Whats wrong with the dart, couldnt you use that?

Get the van if you're going to be hauling more than 1-2 people. I didn't want the payment either, was going to pay my Caliber off and the 300 was going to stay on family car duty. I am eternally grateful my wife talked me into selling it and buying the van.

Yeah, I'm stuck with that payment for now... but I have a now 2 year old family van with 45k worth of warranty left that is crazy comfortable to bomb down the highway in.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Baby on the way, you need to get something safe and reliable. 3500$ wont get you that. Sounds like money is tight, am I right? How many vehicles do you have? Dart, Ram, and VW Rabbit? Why so many? Personally, I would ditch all 3 and put the proceeds into a sane yet reliable recent-ish used car. Guessing you would save also on insurance and registration too from cutting back to just one. Id get something with under 60k miles. Corolla, Camry, Civic, Accord..many others also come to mind. Just my .02 cents.

Money isn't really tight we are doing a lot this year so I guess it's tighter than normal but it's more about not wanting more of a car payment. I'd like the car that's paid off to make the long trips that way the dart isn't racking up the miles and dropping like a rock in value. The fact it says fca on its sticker hurts the value enough, me driving it a lot just kills it more.

I'm a relatively frugal guy. Also in Missouri 3500 buys a decent car. When I bought the VW it needed a few little things but I did the work and now I'd drive it anywhere. I mean that to I'd hope in it and drive it to Florida. Same way I'd be with a new car after going through it and getting it all up to snuff.

As far as cars go I have the dart the VW the old ram and my 90 Chevy truck. The Chevy truck is used for work. The dart is the misses daily driver. The ram was my papas so it'll be around forever. I plan to have it in decent shape by may so it can be a family hauler when needed. I don't need all 6 seats to often but when I do I'll have it.
The plan as of now is to sell the VW so I have a car easily capable of hauling children and hopefully by August or so of this year we can pay the dart down enough to not have the negative equity in trade in. We will be paying extra toake that happen. Once we are even on its value then we are going to look into trading it for a newer van or dodge journey something like that. But right now I'd have to roll over almost 4,000 and I don't want to do that. There are also a few things on my fiance's credit report that she needs to dispute and then a couple small Medical bills lingering that she needs to handle once that's done we can trade the dart but I don't want to trade it and have a higher payment.
So short term goal is to utilize the ram when the room is needed. Long term goal is to trade the dart for a more suitable family car.
The vw is my daily driver and it's a good fun little car but it being a 2 door makes it less than ideal for a baby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back