More on Cord Cutting - costs going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just signed up for IPTV, I can't believe how many channels you get. The only downfall is no PVR functionality, but If I'm saving close to $80 I'll trade that off anyday!

I've also got Amazon Prime, so I get to watch the Amazon content. Plenty to watch and not enough time to do so!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
I just signed up for IPTV, I can't believe how many channels you get. The only downfall is no PVR functionality, but If I'm saving close to $80 I'll trade that off anyday!
I subscribed to several different IPTV services over the course of a year and didn't have any luck with them. They ALL had constant problems with freezing, buffering, low quality, out-of-sync audio/video (or no audio), channels listed that were actually some other channel, and channels that flat-out didn't work. They were never interested in fixing the problems, in other words, ZERO customer service. It was very aggravating. I found that it was not a satisfactory substitute for cable TV, satellite TV, or commercial streaming services. It was a waste of time and money (I got what I paid-for). For anyone tempted to try this, you need to understand that IPTV is pirated and illegal, so you are dealing with off-shore criminal elements and the potential of NAPSTER-style legal issues. Also, I strongly advise that anyone accessing or downloading pirated content over the Internet should be using a VPN service. Curious individuals can get IPTV for free on an Android device with Mobdro and see for yourself how this works. https://www.mobdro.bz/index

Originally Posted by wag123
Curious individuals can get IPTV for free on an Android device with Mobdro and see for yourself how this works. https://www.mobdro.bz/index
And one should be very cautious about installing an app which is not offered via Google Play store, and one that needs permission to start on boot.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by wag123
Curious individuals can get IPTV for free on an Android device with Mobdro and see for yourself how this works. https://www.mobdro.bz/index
And one should be very cautious about installing an app which is not offered via Google Play store, and one that needs permission to start on boot.
Agreed.
Although Mobdro can be installed on an Android smartphone, I would personally advise that it be installed on an Android set top box instead.

I give entertainment an extremely low priority and am not willing to spend a whole lot of money on it. To this end the primary source is a rooftop antenna. Mainly to keep the wife happy this is augmented with a couple of inexpensive streaming channels and a bunch of free stuff available on inexpensive Roku set-top boxes.

Originally Posted by Saabist
I give entertainment an extremely low priority and am not willing to spend a whole lot of money on it. To this end the primary source is a rooftop antenna. Mainly to keep the wife happy this is augmented with a couple of inexpensive streaming channels and a bunch of free stuff available on inexpensive Roku set-top boxes.

I find guys running all over town for 25 cent oil ( to add to their 400 quart stash) amusing-saves me a cable TV bill-that and a OTA antenna!

I finally cut the cord this week. Dumped the IP home phone and Cable TV package.

Nice to be saving $125 month. I also went with Nexflix as well. Better options that what Cable offers.

We cut it out last year with Charter; we were paying it $125; now we are paying $60 now for internet only

Originally Posted by JC1
I finally cut the cord this week. Dumped the IP home phone and Cable TV package.

Nice to be saving $125 month. I also went with Nexflix as well. Better options that what Cable offers.

Congratulations!
We dumped pay TV about 8 years or so ago, losing track of time. We still have way too much TV to watch for $20 a month. Netflex and Hulu+

Add to that, my daughter who lives in another state shares her Amazon username with us, so we get Prime free too and we share our Netflex with her.
On top of that, I have a free year of Apple TV for fun. Plus all our local channels through our attic antenna to all our TVs plus over 5 Roku players.

Way, way to much, as Americans, we get fat on everything, including TV. people still pay for it, when literally hundreds of channels are free and all your local channels are in higher quality through a TV antenna!
Anyway, as you found out, if your complaining about the cost of pay TV, as Americans we can simply get off our butts and do something about it but far too many rather complain.
Go figure :eek:)

Last edited:
Unfortunately my wife won't give up her xfjnity so $50/month for cable. She likes ability to DVR , watch offline and on her ipad so stuck.

The $80/month internet is pocket change as wife and I each have 6 figure job with me 100% work from home and her a few days per week.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Unfortunately my wife won't give up her xfjnity so $50/month for cable. She likes ability to DVR , watch offline and on her ipad so stuck.

The $80/month internet is pocket change as wife and I each have 6 figure job with me 100% work from home and her a few days per week.

Everyone has priorities in life and spend money accordingly on what gives them the most satisfaction.
But since you posted the other stuff about DVR, off-line and such, I can see you dont know everything that is out there. AS it stands, we have way, way, way to much programming to watch in much the same fashion and most likely far more then you currently have. Its not about a 6 figure income at all, its choosing who to give my money too, I too have all the money I need in life, right up until "the day" comes ... *LOL* hopefully that is a long time away!

Last edited:
I stay with Cable because some popular weekly TV Shows cannot be viewed live & current, without a Cable subscription.
Also, the only professional sports team that can be watched here for free are the Detroit Lions NFL. Our Tigers MLB, Pistons NBA and Red Wings NHL must have some-sort of a prepaid subscription to watch live.

To me, Cable TV is worth the additional $2 per day, added to a package that already includes Internet and Landline Phone. I pay $150 for all three.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I stay with Cable because some popular weekly TV Shows cannot be viewed live & current, without a Cable subscription.
Also, the only professional sports team that can be watched here for free are the Detroit Lions NFL. Our Tigers MLB, Pistons NBA and Red Wings NHL must have some-sort of a prepaid subscription to watch live.

To me, Cable TV is worth the additional $2 per day, added to a package that already includes Internet and Landline Phone. I pay $150 for all three.

I get major network and non major networks shows live and current through an attic antenna (approx 30 channels) so I can view anything live and current. We can also record with all options including things like "new episodes only", view the program guide of all the channels same as a pay TV box. Fast forward, reverse etc.

The thing is, its becoming rare that we watch it, we feel far, far better shows on Netlfex and Hulu+. We also have Prime and Apple TV (up and coming) Our primary subscription is Netflex and Hulu+, Netflix has killer shows, our cost is $20 a month or less for TV.
The prime, our daughter shares her account with us so we get it free and the only reason we bother with it, we share our Netflex with her. Apple TV is just a 1 year free trial. We are 100% good with Netflex and Hulu+, always have been but since the others are free, why not.

Our Phone service is the same as Spectrum, Uverse or any pay service. We use Ooma, unlimited everything, free after buying the device that plugs into the router for less the $99.
You do pay monthly tax of $5.

Our actual payment per month is $90 for TV, Internet (100mbps) and phone. We happen to be lucky though, my wifes company pays $65 a month for our internet so our actual cost if only $25 out of our pocket, actually a bit less.

Ok, so here is the big catch, if you are a sports fan, then you have to pay for sports which you do. We aren't, other then college stuff and of course, major events like the Super Bowl are broadcast.
We all pay for what makes us happy. when it comes to TV we cant possibly be more happy and have way too much but for those who really are into sports, then you will pay more.

Last edited:
Alarmguy is right. I dont have cable, darn sure dont miss it either. Have my ROKU and that's it. May get amazon fire stick or Netflix. Comcast internet isnt bad but I'm getting a reliable internet router very, very soon

I don't have a cable subscription and I can watch live TV shows including sports, just a matter of learning how and installing the right apps.
56.gif

49.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

I don't have a cable subscription and I can watch live TV shows including sports, just a matter of learning how and installing the right apps.
56.gif

49.gif

Cable offers a massive convenience for a price over scattered approach at little to no cost.

Originally Posted by madRiver

56.gif

49.gif

Cable offers a massive convenience for a price over scattered approach at little to no cost.

I get the same channels as the Cable service provider has available without the outrageous cost, plus I can choose for myself what channels not to watch since they have no content worth watching anyways.

Works for me
thumbsup2.gif

49.gif

56.gif

49.gif

Legally?

Do you run all over town for .49 cent oil too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back