Selling the VW need a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 09 vw rabbit that we are selling. It's a joy to drive. However it's not the easiest to work on. Some jobs on it make me cringe thinking I may have to do them at some point. I expect to get around $3500 for it.
I plan on taking that money and buying a 4 door car.
My only requirements are 4 doors, manual transmission and parts that are easy and plentiful to get. This car will be doing a 5 hour round trip once a month sometimes twice a month. So parts availability if something were to happen is important.
I'd love to own a Honda but they hold there value so well. Is it worth spending 3500 for a Honda with 150,000 miles give or take?
What are some cars I should look into? I want something that can last a long while and be reliable.
We were going to buy a new van or small SUV but I just couldn't bring myself to sign up for a higher car payment and for a longer amount of time. I look forward to hearing suggestions and input from everyone.

Last edited:
So you're selling a car that's running fine because it might be trouble some day?

Pretty odd justification.

Saturn S-series is your ride to the prom.

My Camry is a great highway cruiser. Dead reliable too. Mid 30's highway.

The Lexus ES300 is the same car too, can find good deals on them too. The V6 can hit 30 on the highway too.

If you have the German assembled Rabbit/Golf with the 2.5 and a stick, that is one of the more reliable VW's and not a piece of junk some would think.
Based on your past post ram_man concerning tire vibrations....., I highly recommend getting something comfortable first and foremost. Find a Ford Fusion with a stick. Sticks were available in the first generation
and the Fusion is a decent car.

I'm amazed nobody has suggested a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car yet! LOL!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Look for a 2006-08 Sonata. Not too many with sticks but they are out there. Cheap and easy to work on.

Had a 07 Optima. Pre DI World engine. Gave me absolutely no trouble for four years. They have to be give aways now. This was the only generation of Optimas/Sonatas that didn't share platforms.

BTW- think the Rabbit was the best looking Golf by far. Liked looking at it but anything VW is too fussy for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by atikovi
Look for a 2006-08 Sonata. Not too many with sticks but they are out there. Cheap and easy to work on.

Had a 07 Optima. Pre DI World engine. Gave me absolutely no trouble for four years. They have to be give aways now. This was the only generation of Optimas/Sonatas that didn't share platforms.

Actually, I second this one too.

My great-aunt had an 06' Sonata 2.4L. That car was rock solid! It was totaled at 150k miles a few years ago and the only issues she ever had was a leaking power steering hose and a squeaky idler pulley. That wreck was it's 4th accident I believe.

Sold the Saturn sc a little while back. I'm not selling the VW because it may have issues some day I'm selling it because it's a 2 door and I don't want to have to fight a car seat all the time with that car since we have a baby on the way. The hard to work on comment was because we will be driving a lot and it is a harder vehicle to work on and many parts are not readily available. If it was a 4dr I'd keep it though it's been a good little car.
I was going to trade our dart for a minivan but I just can't do the payment the thought of it makes me Ill. I have my old ram that I'm going to use when on we all have to go somewhere together.
I replaced the cab mounts in the ram I plan to do tires brakes all the fluids a windshield the top part of the dash ect to get it ready to be a useable vehicle again.
So that leaves the VW a two door car that is a pain to get a car seat in.

Originally Posted by ram_man
Sold the Saturn sc a little while back. I'm not selling the VW because it may have issues some day I'm selling it because it's a 2 door and I don't want to have to fight a car seat all the time with that car since we have a baby on the way. The hard to work on comment was because we will be driving a lot and it is a harder vehicle to work on and many parts are not readily available. If it was a 4dr I'd keep it though it's been a good little car.
I was going to trade our dart for a minivan but I just can't do the payment the thought of it makes me Ill. I have my old ram that I'm going to use when on we all have to go somewhere together.
I replaced the cab mounts in the ram I plan to do tires brakes all the fluids a windshield the top part of the dash ect to get it ready to be a useable vehicle again.
So that leaves the VW a two door car that is a pain to get a car seat in.

if you like VW's I'm sure there's lots of four door Golfs/Rabbits out there.

Last edited:
I have found a couple accords with the k24 and a 5sp manual. They all have 170-200,000 miles. All around $3500.
At that mileage is it even worth considering?

I want something that can last a long while and be reliable.

For $3500?

Is there a reason you'd be driving a $3500 unknown car on 5 hour round trips with a baby on board and leave the 2014 Dart in your sig at home? A quick look on our local Craigslist shows Japanese compacts with 150k plus miles and 15 years old. Or Crown Vics. You're rolling the dice.

I have found a couple accords with the k24 and a 5sp manual. They all have 170-200,000 miles. All around $3500.
At that mileage is it even worth considering?

4-1/2 years ago my 00' Camry was $2,100 at 194k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back