How happy are you in your profession ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound like ZZman...
I ask cause I've met lots of people in different career field are unhappy.

Just wondering on a scale from 1 to 10 how happy are you in your profession ?

What would make it better (besides more $$$) ?

Hahaha, honestly, I'd rate a 4/10, even as much as I complain, because I get a fair amount of time off and am paid well. Take those away, and I'd disappear from my field before the meeting/email was concluded.

Realistically, nothing will make it better. Nor do I expect it to be.

When you reach financial independence, it enables you to make a choice to pursue your passions.
Living below one's means is the fastest and only way to achieve lasting financial independence.

Then you get to to do exactly what you want.

With respect to the original question, I'd put my job satisfaction at a 9+ right now. Interesting, stimulating, rarely repetitive, well paying and I get to travel the world. The only thing that would make it better would be a better home base. I'm running out of patience for cold winters.

I was happy for the first 21 yrs with one company and less so the last 17 yrs with the other.
With the latter, not only did I have a noose around my neck, I had another around my balls. This is the way of the future and has been for some time. Those who don't feel this way in today's work society are blessed.

high pressure, repetitive, dealing with general public who are not responsive, not trustworthy, and most hate me and what I represent without a cause
lots of freedom, lots of travel by road and by air, money barely okay
3/10 - better than no job, surprised i lasted this long...
i'm ignoring my duties and responsibilities as I browse BITOG

Just made a change for quality of life. From being away from home 20+ days a month to being home 20+ days per month. Almost the same pay. What I do for pay is not work to me, so it is the right thing.

+1 to Imp4's financial independence post. Headed that direction.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Love the job.
Hate the company that I work for.

This is what caused me to retire early, the B.S bucket was more than another full time job. I know get to be a Lazy Dog if you asked the wife.
banana2.gif

I'm really getting tired of auto repair. The new cars are too complicated to fix without a huge investment. I never was very good at electrical. Now it seems that 90% of car problems are electrical.

When I started this career I never dreamed that I would be chasing electrical problems every day.

I work in IT, specifically networking, servers, security, etc. Job is a 7 most of the time. It was an 8 or 9 when I was on the job-site more often. I had to cut back hours since my wife is now full time so I'm behind a desk more often than not. Company is a solid 9 however. Probably slightly underpaid but you can't underestimate working for an awesome company that gives a crap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm really getting tired of auto repair. The new cars are too complicated to fix without a huge investment. I never was very good at electrical. Now it seems that 90% of car problems are electrical.

When I started this career I never dreamed that I would be chasing electrical problems every day.

you sound like Scotty Kilmer
eek.gif

don't get me wrong, I like the guy, just too drawn out for some tidbits of insight...

I give my job a 9/10. I am an IT Incident Analyst, so I get to work on puzzles all day. Figure out the problem and work around it or find resolution, then everybody loves me. Been here almost 22 years, so I know the systems inside out and backwards. Management respects me and my input. I get nearly 6 weeks PTO each year. The money could be better elsewhere, but I I'm not hurting. My company is still growing and there is security in that.

I do custom, large scale database development. Design and implement business need solutions from back end (SQL Server) to front end (Visual Studio) using the Microsoft stack.
I have been lucky to have the opportunity to work with leaders in Silicon Valley in the SEMI and then Security arenas.
I have been challenged, traveled, and been rewarded.

I am more than happy, I am thankful.

I work for a DOD Contractor at NAVWAR San Diego. I love my job. Outside everyday. My Boss is great and lets me do my job my way. Money could be a little better but isn't that always the case. 9/10

Mines probably a 6/10. Not so bad to motivate me to take a risk to find better, but good enough. I am 58 and very much looking forward to retirement.

9/10 for me.

Healthcare has too many idiots making bad decisions at all levels of any organization (profit / not for profit).

The bigger the organization.... the bigger the problems.

I have worked on the IBM mainframe for 4+ decades. Current company is trying to sun-set the mainframe. Not interested in being part of the sun-setting party. Retirement could be months away is a big plus in attitude.

9/10 in my profession as Cloud Application architect/Development lead working 100% remotely from home. More money would be nice.

I learn new things every single day and can use new tech constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back