Duramax traditionally low Fe numbers, because of a magnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched and could not find an answer, so I thought I'd ask here due to the knowledge available. I've had a few dmaxs and they always have had very low iron numbers on UOA. Recently I had to repair a lower oil pan and was surprised to find a large round magnet inside. It had a little metal on it that it's attracted over the last 230k miles. My question is, do the other Diesel engines like cummins and ford use magnets in their oil pans these days? Also, how much will a magnet skew the true Fe readings of a UOA?

Removing the Fe from circulation should reduce wear and if its not circulating the UOA is correctly reporting what the engine is seeing.
But as an indicator of increasing or changing wear you are correct, you might have to inspect the magnet or rely on other means.

Originally Posted by NVRENUFF
I've searched and could not find an answer, so I thought I'd ask here due to the knowledge available. I've had a few dmaxs and they always have had very low iron numbers on UOA. Recently I had to repair a lower oil pan and was surprised to find a large round magnet inside. It had a little metal on it that it's attracted over the last 230k miles. My question is, do the other Diesel engines like cummins and ford use magnets in their oil pans these days? Also, how much will a magnet skew the true Fe readings of a UOA?

It depends on the particle size. But yes, it is certainly possible.

Never seen one in an oil pan. The 48RE transmission actually has one in the transmission pan, it seems to catch some iron bits. I've always thought magnets on the oil filter, either a Filtermag or old hard drive magnets, were a better idea-then it's easy to cut the filter & see what's going on.

Originally Posted by NVRENUFF

According to a thread Gary Allen either wrote or replied to a pan mag won't affect a standard UOA much if at all.

A filter mag likely won't either, but if one pays for a particle count they claim its good for between 1 and 3 iso code drops which is a fairly significant reduction.

As long as it stays put it certainly isnt hurting anything and is a good diagnostic tool letting you keep and eye on what me be getting worn off.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back