Briggs Intek Leaking Crankshaft Oil Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 20hp Briggs Intek engine that leaks at the shaft oil seal. I replaced it an seated the seal down to the inner shoulder, because that's where the old seal was. It began leaking again. I looked around on the internet and saw that the seal should not be seated that deep, so I replaced it again. This time I seated just below flush. I ran the engine a bit over the weekend, but noticed it leaking again last night. There is an oil re-circulation hole below the inner shoulder, so the seal was not interfering with that in either situation. Does anyone know what may be going on? I saw a product by Blue Devil that is supposed to fix leaky seals. Has anyone tried it? Thanks for any advice!

Originally Posted by Eddie
Is the crankcase pressurizing because of the vent hose being plugged? Ed

+1

Also these engines like to blow head gaskets, and it could be pressurizing the crankcase. Does it burn any oil?

Originally Posted by Eddie
Is the crankcase pressurizing because of the vent hose being plugged? Ed

On a new-to-me snowblower I found it kept kicking out the seal under the flywheel. Some 179cc Briggs. After pushing the seal in a second time I poked around and found that the breather hose from engine to airbox didn't have a hole in the airbox. Like it was casting flash over the hole. I zipped in a hole and no more issues.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by edwardh1
wonder who makes the airboxes- sounds like a manufacturing defect

Probably 5 letters long, starts with sea...

did you mean 6 letters?

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by edwardh1
wonder who makes the airboxes- sounds like a manufacturing defect

Probably 5 letters long, starts with sea...

did you mean 6 letters?

C.H.I.N.A. I believe that is the direction subie was going. Some 8yr old may loose their job at the factory because of this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back