Bough NGK Ruthenium sparkplugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wifes Nissan Quest recently rolled 100k miles, so I have been spark plug shopping. Rockauto had NGK Ruthenium for $7.90 each, which was cheaper than iridium, so I pulled the trigger and ordered them, along with a plenum gasket, since it has to be removed to access the 3 rear plugs.
Here are some pics if anyone was curious.

1579652076000-1065970541.jpg

1579652112971-1774923087.jpg

15796521391141622208132.jpg

interesting plugs.....NGK has not let me down yet - when I change plugs I will look for these to see as they are getting harder and harder to replace as cars get newer...

I just used these in my Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.0L. I always like trying out new tech and these were cheaper than the laser iridiums my car calls for. They are running nicely.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I just used these in my Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.0L. I always like trying out new tech and these were cheaper than the laser iridiums my car calls for. They are running nicely.

[Linked Image]

Same here, I have used laser iridium for quite a while in most of my fleet, but these were cheaper and supposed to be the latest and greatest, so figured I'd give them a try.

How's the car running with them? I just did the laser iridiums because AA was out of the standard irridiums and didnt have these yet. I personally think what ngk charges for the laser iridium is a crime. My 09 altima came with Nissan branded irridiums and my wife's 2018 rogue has densos.

Originally Posted by D1dad
How's the car running with them? I just did the laser iridiums because AA was out of the standard irridiums and didnt have these yet. I personally think what ngk charges for the laser iridium is a crime. My 09 altima came with Nissan branded irridiums and my wife's 2018 rogue has densos.

Yeah, i paid ~20/each for my Honda Civic.

Anyone know the tech as to why they are so expensive? I'm willing to pay it since they seem to last without issue, but would like to understand why i'm paying so much.

NGK takes advantage of people who think since they are the OEM plug, you HAVE to use them. Newsflash... you don't. My Honda van calls for laser iridiums too and I used $4.99 Denso Iridium TT's. Guess what, Van has run great since they've been in 30K miles ago. Just stick with Denso or NGK and you'll be fine. NGK also makes an iridium plug that is around $5, I think it's the IX series.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I was left out. My sig car shipped with Laser Platinums and they do not offer a Ruthenium plug for my application!

Just run a Denso or NGK IX iridium plug for $5/each. Iridium is already a nice upgrade from platinum.

Originally Posted by Davejam

Yeah, i paid ~20/each for my Honda Civic.

Anyone know the tech as to why they are so expensive? I'm willing to pay it since they seem to last without issue, but would like to understand why i'm paying so much.

The Laser series has precious metals on both firing ends, Pt in both versions. Honda also calls for an projected tip plug and 12mm threads on their newer engines.

Iridium IX only has one precious metal firing tip, same thing with G-Power. That means while the OEM plug can and do hit the 60-100K mark with no issues, the IX/G-Power series don't last as long.

Originally Posted by Davejam
There is a difference according to NGK.
https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/iridium-ix-vs-oe-iridium-spark-plugs
Additionally seems like OE have higher copper core for improved heat transfer versus nickel core in IX.

So, there is a difference...whether that is worth the $ is up to you.

Correct. The difference is not in performance but in lifespan.
In your link, NGK states:
Originally Posted by NGK
These two plugs perform similarly, due to their fine-wire tip design, but the service interval is different; the Laser Series are typically designed to last 80 to 100 thousand miles, where as the Iridium IX® spark plugs are designed to last 40 to 50 thousand miles.

And the same can be said for Ruthenium as well. No increase in performance but super extended life.
Likely the choice for transverse V6's with difficult to reach rear banks, just like the OP has opted for.

But if you're servicing a 4-banger it becomes a matter of preference in easy to perform service intervals only.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Where do you get iridium plugs for $5 each?

Rockauto has several brands in iridium flavor that cost around $5
[Linked Image]

Also, the Denso Iridium TT's product sheet shows 100K mile lifespan, platinum ground electrode and all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back