Advice on UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an APC 650ES with dead battery from my office, it had to go into recycling, bought a new battery for it for $25 and it's running my PC and some stereo stuff at home.
We get brownouts once in a while and my PC was restarting, no longer.
My UPS is an older version of this:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-BE650G1-...-UPS+650VA&qid=1579639915&sr=8-1

Keep in mind regardless of what UPS you get - eventually you'll need to replace its battery and APC or compatible batteries are easy and relatively cheap to get.

Don't believe every review you read on Amazon. There is a LOT of "funny business" going on with Amazon reviews. ALL UPS's return to line power when the power interruption ends.
I have used a large number of UPS's from many different manufacturers at many different price points over the years, some better than others. For commercial grade UPS's APC has been the best IMO. For consumer grade UPS's Tripp Lite has been the best followed by APC and then Cyberpower. I have never had an Eaton. One thing that I have found is that not every model from a given manufacturer is as good as some of their other models, APC is guilty of this on their consumer models. I have one consumer grade Tripp Lite 500VA and two APC Back-ups BK500's (the old style metal cabinet model) still in use that are over 20 years old.
For your purpose you do not need a pure/true sinewave UPS, a modified/simulated sinewave UPS will be fine, and 350VA will be big enough. One important thing that you should research is what battery or batteries it uses. For a 350VA to 600VA size UPS look for a single 7AH to 9AH 12v battery, stay away from one that uses a smaller battery (some only have a 5ah battery or less). Since they are the same physical size you can replace a 7AH battery with a 9AH battery which will get you a more run time for just a little more money. From my experience you can expect to replace the battery at about 3 year intervals, sometimes less.

I have a 650VA UPS from APC that is 14 years old and still on its original battery. During a recent power outage, the battery functioned well, at least for the 3 minutes I needed to shut everyrthing down.

Since this thread is revived.. I just replaced my 7 year old apc backup 1300 battery.

it had a 7ah, the replacement is 9ah.. cost $58

working good again. I have very few long outages but tons of dips and 2-5sec blackouts.

I have everything plugged in to the battery backup side except the second monitor and laser printer.

computer, monitor, switch, router, modem, NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back