Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40, CK4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shared for those who care.

[Linked Image]

Looks fine - a shame its not more economical. I suspect that's the reason for it not being more popular.

You're welcome!

I got a gallon for 12 bucks at Wally World. Not the cheapest but not too pricey for the average Joe.

My closest Rural King is a couple hours away
frown.gif

That's where I get Delvac ESP on the cheap, though!

Good to know for the GTX. Heck, this GTX tests almost identically to the ESP except for its lack of Boron compared to the ESP synth.

Last edited:
The formulation of Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 appears to meet all the CK4 requirements. The only source for this HDEO near me is Walmart, and the price is $12.37/gal which is inline with other major oil blenders. However, most of the major blenders offer rebates throughout the year making their net price much lower than Castrol GTX Diesel. In my opinion, Castrol needs to offer rebates on GTX Diesel as an incentive for customers to try this HDEO. Based upon the formulation of Castrol GTX Diesel and current retail pricing, there are no compelling reasons to try this oil.

Originally Posted by rileyc
The formulation of Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 appears to meet all the CK4 requirements. The only source for this HDEO near me is Walmart, and the price is $12.37/gal which is inline with other major oil blenders. However, most of the major blenders offer rebates throughout the year making their net price much lower than Castrol GTX Diesel. In my opinion, Castrol needs to offer rebates on GTX Diesel as an incentive for customers to try this HDEO. Based upon the formulation of Castrol GTX Diesel and current retail pricing, there are no compelling reasons to try this oil.

Well it more than "appears" that way, it does show up on the API EOLCS Directory.

Good to see an oil with a decent additive package and a nice dose of moly, where many of the 15W40's are switching to a 800ppm zinc/phos package, even a recent Delvac 1300 UOA looks lean on additives. May try this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fraser434
Good to see an oil with a decent additive package and a nice dose of moly, where many of the 15W40's are switching to a 800ppm zinc/phos package, even a recent Delvac 1300 UOA looks lean on additives. May try this oil.

That's basically what I was thinking.

I don't mind paying a few dollars extra per gallon for a little more additive-heavy oil.

I may run it this spring/summer and see how it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back