Amsoil ATV/UTV Powertrain Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody else come across this? It's brand new and is apparently one product meant to replace two previous products. This is designed for Polaris machines that spec different fluids for the front and rear differentials. Amsoil previously made separate products for these purposes. However, they have stopped production of those and now recommend this one fluid designed for both. I am a little leery of using one fluid for both differentials, as this is quite a bit different than what Polaris specs. Thoughts?

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...rain-fluid/?code=AUPTPK-EA&zo=515729

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I am a new user on the website, but have been a long-time reader. I have found lots of valuable information here.

Amsoil usually exceeds requirements by a good margin, and generally does not combine multiple recommendations into a single fluid if there is a need for multiple fluids. Meaning, the one fluid probably far exceeds both requirements and makes the second one redundant. I'd use to their recommendations and not think twice.

Yeah I typically don't doubt Amsoil's products and I know they are generally very high quality. I guess I'm just naturally a little leery of using a fluid that on paper is a compromise for both of the existing products. I'm sure Amsoil does their research and testing, but couldn't the same thing be said for Polaris? Surely they have their reasons for specifying different fluids right? It seems as like if one fluid was fine, Polaris would have been recommending that for a long time now.

Last edited:
IMO, a manufacturer who requires and sells a "specific" spec fluid is always going to maintain as many separate selections as possible, and market them as non-interchangeable, because there are multiple streams of income to be had regardless of the ability to be used in multiple situations.

Just as a tongue-in-cheek question, how do you KNOW Polaris's fluids are different? Are there UOAs of each fluid? There are other components of a fluid that will not show on a UOA, so it will be tough to determine overall compatibility between the two applications.

I guess I don't have any hard facts, but when changing the fluids on my RZR I've always noticed the front diff fluid was very thin. As I said above, Amsoil use to sell separate fluids designed specifically for the Polaris machines. They have only been on the market for a few years so I guess I'm surprised as much as anything that they are pulling the plug on those and going with one single fluid when they already had products available for Polaris owners.

I am on my 3rd RZR.. and have serviced about 30 others.

Front Diff- Demand Drive Fluid. $15 should last you years.. You can chase amsoil or john deere oils... ive never heard of a failure due to oil...no benefits to be had buying anything else that i can see.

Rear Transmission- I use 75w90 and a few buddies also use 75w90... there is one guy that uses 5w20 that i know.. the rest use AGL. There are no benefits to using any of these.. they all lubricate the same.. its just gears and bearings.

The Front diff in a RZR holds about 8.5oz. So a quart should last you awhile depending on how you service it. Im never a fan of oem oils but this one is a no brainer for the money.

Looks to be a lot thinner than the other two products they offer.

I'm an Amsoil guy and own multiple polaris ATVs. I guess I'm kinda confused with all their new ATV specific oils myself.

If you use to thick of an oil in the front diff, it will engage the front wheels intermittently even with the AWD switch off. I forget what I used but it was probably 10w-30 or something similar I had laying around. EDIT: maybe I used gear oil

I had the "marbles in a can" sound issues and was trying to quiet it down. I ended up moving the pinion shim to the other side of the pinion and that helped the most. I refilled with ATF4. And its been fine since.
I use gear oil in rear/trans. I don't recall off hand what I use, 75w-90 most likely. I have all the maintenance records down in my shop.

Im not an amsoil user, just because Im not going to pay the premium for it. But if it was given to me Id have no issues using it.

Last edited:
Iowa:

Sir, you misunderstood Amsoils intent. I get it, their marketing people are getting too involved. The fluid you question, as regards Polaris, is not intended for the front. Their Demand Drive alternative is a different product. That said, KrisMoriah is on point. I've never seen it fail either. Regular maintenance is more important that what oil.

Here's discussion on Poo oils and what I think is the best options for us. I've asked that site to move the last (summary) to the front, but that's TBD, so check opening and closing posts if you just want the net.

https://www.rzrforums.net/threads/amsoil-agl-alternative-not-safe.547784/page-3#post-5992524

Originally Posted by dafish
Iowa:

Sir, you misunderstood Amsoils intent. I get it, their marketing people are getting too involved. The fluid you question, as regards Polaris, is not intended for the front. Their Demand Drive alternative is a different product. That said, KrisMoriah is on point. I've never seen it fail either. Regular maintenance is more important that what oil.

Here's discussion on Poo oils and what I think is the best options for us. I've asked that site to move the last (summary) to the front, but that's TBD, so check opening and closing posts if you just want the net.

https://www.rzrforums.net/threads/amsoil-agl-alternative-not-safe.547784/page-3#post-5992524

I disagree. Amsoil clearly intends for you to use this fluid for both the front and rear differentials. And from what I can tell they have discontinued their former Front Drive fluid, which was their version of Polaris Demand Drive fluid. If you search a Polaris machine in the Amsoil website, it lists the ATV/UTV Powertrain fluid as their product for both the front and rear differentials. Also, here is their press announcement that states it too.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/articles/new-powertrain-fluid/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back