when did handsfree and bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Wolf359
My 2008 Mercedes E-350 had all that. Heated seats, both driver and passenger and 3 memory position power seats for both also. Plus duel climate control. And bluetooth for voice.

Ehhh, my 2008 G35 has all that same stuff (except only 2 seat memory positions). Have no trouble connecting any devices from an iPhone 8, iPhone X?, or Galaxy S10.

My 2001 M5 had 3-position memory, navigation, heated seats, TPMS, Climate Control, remote ventilation, Auto up/down on all windows, DSC, auto-levelling HID's, F/R parking sensors, auto wipers and probably a few other things I'm missing, but it amusingly didn't have Bluetooth, which would have been about 2 years old at the time. BMW had their own proprietary phone interface, so you had to buy a specific phone if you wanted hands-free
lol.gif

I don't understand those options--my seats get heated every time I sit in them and they always remember where I last put them.
21.gif

Originally Posted by supton
I don't understand those options--my seats get heated every time I sit in them and they always remember where I last put them.
21.gif

My wife is REALLY short, so it's nice to have memory seating, as we have very different settings.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
21.gif

My wife is REALLY short, so it's nice to have memory seating, as we have very different settings.

Heh, I was being silly.

I got lucky and my wife is my height, actually a smidge taller than me now. We generally don't adjust each other's seats; at most it's one click and done. When the kids start driving it could be different... one is 5" shorter and the other is apt to be 4" taller. Then again they won't be allowed to drive our nice cars.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
21.gif

Heh, I was being silly.

I got lucky and my wife is my height, actually a smidge taller than me now. We generally don't adjust each other's seats; at most it's one click and done. When the kids start driving it could be different... one is 5" shorter and the other is apt to be 4" taller. Then again they won't be allowed to drive our nice cars.
smile.gif

Those heated seats come in very handy during the cold weather. My back is a mess and it's great to get some warmth back there.

I never had any of this stuff before but now I'm spoiled.

My 2008 Escape did not have BT but my 2010 does have Bluetooth for both streaming audio and talking. I ended up replacing literally every component of the factory stereo anyway...

Originally Posted by PimTac

Those heated seats come in very handy during the cold weather. My back is a mess and it's great to get some warmth back there.

I never had any of this stuff before but now I'm spoiled.

Yeah, I did like the heated seats in my VW. I'd turn 'em on in October and turn them off in May... With 5 settings I would get in and set to 5 (flamethrower) so as to heat up quickly, then set back down to 2 or 3, depending on my wants. But never off... Couple of times I turned them on after a nice long hike and it sure did feel good!

I've actually devolved in my vehicle options. I had a car with mpg, fun, manual trans, leather, sunroof, auto up/down, heated mirrors. Now I have none of that!

Toyota made Bluetooth a standard feature on the 2nd gen Prius beyond the base model - it was just handsfree calling.

Bluetooth should be standard fare in most cars now with the base infotainment, and a cheap upgrade in a base car if an aftermarket radio can be installed.

Originally Posted by nthach
Toyota made Bluetooth a standard feature on the 2nd gen Prius beyond the base model - it was just handsfree calling.

Bluetooth should be standard fare in most cars now with the base infotainment, and a cheap upgrade in a base car if an aftermarket radio can be installed.

Or just pair a set of Bluetooth ear pieces with the phone and go that route.

around 2010 for bluetooth integration?

I'll admit, carplay is the bees knees when using nav. music, podcasts, streaming music, and a moving map are all right there, without paying for vehicle nav. Sync 3 from Ford is a really nice implementation. It only has two glaring deficiencies I've seen so far - custom ringtone volumes are uncontrollable and LOUD, and screen brightness is excessive at night (dims with phone instead of vehicle settings).

With Bluetooth 5, wireless carplay is supposedly possible, but early reviews suggest the power draw is enough that the phone will need to be plugged in anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meep

With Bluetooth 5, wireless carplay is supposedly possible, but early reviews suggest the power draw is enough that the phone will need to be plugged in anyway.

Pioneer has been supporting wireless CarPlay/Android Auto on their higher-end NEX series decks. A friend has a AVH-4500NEX and it works over the wifi radio in the deck. Same deal with JVCKenwood - JVC's $400 deck supports wireless CarPlay/Android Auto but only the higher-end Kenwood does. It's all done over Bluetooth for device control and wifi for media.

The Samsung Galaxy S9/S10 and the Google Pixel series are the only phones that support Android Auto wirelessly currently. Wireless CarPlay is supported from the iPhone 7 and beyond, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back