1.8t 0w40, plus a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone new here been lurking here and vwvortex trying to learn about oils for my 2014 1.8t jetta se.

ok so!

I ran some quality platinum pennzoil in it for 13k instead of 10k when the car was hitting about 53k. Anyways it was 3k past the sticker. I was on leave and let it sit about a month and looked at the stick it had some blackened debris on the tip.

So at my new duty station I got it changed it was running rough to just around town and got some new oil in it that day. I wasnt sure what to get but told the guy to put the pennzoil ultra platinim or whatever (realized now this is the 0w40 european premium playinum pennzoil whatever with the light blue line on it) anyways the guy put high mileage 5w40 (maybe 30 wretch) in it. At this point I realized I needed to take control of my engines wellbeing and quit relying on randoms.

I've let the high mileage run through careful to warm it up and not push it for long periods, no burn on stick again yet, looks good. I've got maybe 4k on this new oil, it needs to get out though.

Plan is to get some t6 0w40 run it with 2-5oz of seafoam and get the bigger filter (any reccomendations). Then after maybe 2k miles switch to straight up t6 then after another 2k most likely switch back to the 0w40 pennzoil european car formula, or possibly amsoil ss 0w40, I've also considered liquimolly,dont want to use mobil1 or castrol at this point just well because.. and I feel like the t6(ik its not 502 but not outstandingly concerned unless some can tell me why it's a bad idea other than that it's not 502, feel like the bigger filter will mitigate it) will help get out those detergents from the high mileage, maybe I'm crazy?

I definitely like to run it hard and I live in NJ. Recently realized the 87 on the gas cap was a lie and run 91 or 93 now what a game changer. Also I run 1 to 2 bottles of seafoam in it every 2 to three fill ups. Seems to make everything smoother shifts better more responsive.

I'd appreciate any input on any of this and thank you for dealing with my long winded situation. So summary oil filters plan for transitioning back into 0w40 and 0w40 recommendations off what my plan contains.

Thank you!!!

The 40 weight may be a bit heavy for a happy vvt actuator imo. I would find a 502/505 5W30 and run that. I think VW recently changed the spec to 504/507 for most of its engines including the 1.8t.

I have been running Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40 since the 2nd oil change on my Jetta in signature. Any Pennzoil product is great oil from the get go. Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus is outstanding oil and feel secure/safe using it moving forward all day & nite.

I would choose a good quality oil that meets the specs for your car and run it. No need for additives, and no need to switch oils to "get out those detergents ".

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I would choose a good quality oil that meets the specs for your car and run it. No need for additives, and no need to switch oils to "get out those detergents ".

I'll 2nd that recommendation
smile.gif

Originally Posted by WMNN1988
So at my new duty station I got it changed it was running rough to just around town and got some new oil in it that day. I wasnt sure what to get but told the guy to put the pennzoil ultra platinim or whatever (realized now this is the 0w40 european premium playinum pennzoil whatever with the light blue line on it) anyways the guy put high mileage 5w40 (maybe 30 wretch) in it. At this point I realized I needed to take control of my engines wellbeing and quit relying on randoms.

Plan is to get some t6 0w40 run it with 2-5oz of seafoam and get the bigger filter (any reccomendations). Then after maybe 2k miles switch to straight up t6 then after another 2k most likely switch back to the 0w40 pennzoil european car formula, or possibly amsoil ss 0w40, I've also considered liquimolly,dont want to use mobil1 or castrol at this point just well because.. and I feel like the t6(ik its not 502 but not outstandingly concerned unless some can tell me why it's a bad idea other than that it's not 502, feel like the bigger filter will mitigate it) will help get out those detergents from the high mileage, maybe I'm crazy?!

Learning to use spell check is a big first step here, it helps the reader piece together either the point you're trying to make or the question you're trying ask.

The required approval for your oil is far more important than the brand or the listed grade. VW specifications require a minimum HTHS and that will be met regardless of what grade is printed on the label. To dismiss Castrol or Mobil 1 "just because" is wrong. Approvals are what matter here and little else in this situation.

And you're saying that a larger filter somehow makes up for lack of approval? Lol that's a new one.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Learning to use spell check is a big first step here, it helps the reader piece together either the point you're trying to make or the question you're trying ask.

The post needs more help than spell check can provide..."no burn on stick" is a new one for me. ...‚

There used to be a frequent "new user" on Bitog that lived in NJ, maybe this is him. The rambling, "ask 30 half-questions" style is certainly similar.

Yeah well there was burnt black residue before the change and none has resurfaced was my point.

That was a side thought. I feel like castrol and Mobil 1 have more additives zinc and magnesium and what not, I feel like the t6 is more standard quality less gimmicks but I'm no oil expert, professional input would be appreciated. Anyone can talk [censored]..

anyways what do you think about seafoam 5oz 1 per each quart for 2k miles, or would I be better off doing like 100 miles? I'm trying to get rid of the high mileage and residue from the oil burning, does anyone have recommendations for that?

How likely is it that I may need to drop my oil pan it I'm not seeing any burnt particles on my dip stick? I want this engine and hopefully transmission(maybe dreaming) to beat 300k miles or more.

Anyways no one said anything abou6 amsoil ss I dont mind spending oil change at a dealer money instead of 40 bucks doing it myself if it means I give my car the best chance at longevity.

Man be constructive I'm in the navy and I've met some salty maintenance techs but [censored] boy dont cook me out the gate theres a lot of angles and emotions in me fixing an egregious mistake on my first new(ish) car I've bought, ask me anything about this situation I will gladly give info!!!

I've heard oil reports for the t6 are supposed to be incredible with this engine on the vwvortex, any oil needs gonna toss in I love being told science or reasoning and experience not oh do this easy cop out replies.

Sorry to contribute to saltiness but i just had my afternoon coffee.

Ty everyone for your time btw also!!!

Last edited:
Nah I just didnt have much time to post sorry it wasnt more coherent.

Than wait until you do have more time. I don't mind wasting my time here helping folks but I gave up on yours because it was difficult to read. A spelling or punctuation error here and there is no big deal but I figure if you can't put in the effort to at least make halfway coherent sentences, why should I?

Best of luck...

Last edited:
That was a side thought. I feel like castrol and Mobil 1 have more additives zinc and magnesium and what not, I feel like the t6 is more standard quality less gimmicks but I'm no oil expert, professional input would be appreciated. Anyone can talk [censored]..

anyways what do you think about seafoam 5oz 1 per each quart for 2k miles, or would I be better off doing like 100 miles? I'm trying to get rid of the high mileage and residue from the oil burning, does anyone have recommendations for that?

How likely is it that I may need to drop my oil pan it I'm not seeing any burnt particles on my dip stick? I want this engine and hopefully transmission(maybe dreaming) to beat 300k miles or more.

Anyways no one said anything abou6 amsoil ss I dont mind spending oil change at a dealer money instead of 40 bucks doing it myself if it means I give my car the best chance at longevity.

Man be constructive I'm in the navy and I've met some salty maintenance techs but [censored] boy dont cook me out the gate theres a lot of angles and emotions in me fixing an egregious mistake on my first new(ish) car I've bought, ask me anything about this situation I will gladly give info!!!

I've heard oil reports for the t6 are supposed to be incredible with this engine on the vwvortex, any oil needs gonna toss in I love being told science or reasoning and experience not oh do this easy cop out replies.

Sorry to contribute to saltiness but i just had my afternoon coffee.

Ty everyone for your time btw also!!!

30 more half-questions, most of which have already been addressed in the thread.

Joseph?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Wmnn1988: how about edge 0w40 and no additives? Just a uneducated thought
wink.gif

No, that is a very educated response. Carries actual VW 502 00 approval.

Kschachn: Thank You, and would the EDGE 5w40 also have the VW 502 00 Approval or I should ask would it be ok to use that also?

Thank You

Last edited:
Again, any approved oil (meets spec) from Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc will be great. No need for additives. I have no idea what it means to "get rid of the high mileage", but if you mean HM oil, you simply drain it.

whatever you do, don't trust ANY oil to 13000 miles
shocked2.gif
in a small hard driven engine even 10K is too long imho. Forget what the OM says.
grin2.gif

I prefer to be on the safe side and use PP but dump it at 6K +/- Also use M1 EP and dump it @7.5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back