Recent Topics
Have we reached the ceiling in improvents to PCMO?
by Speak2Mountain - 02/25/20 11:59 AM
International travel for pleasure
by Pew - 02/25/20 11:42 AM
maxi scooter - should i change the oil now?
by alex_at - 02/25/20 11:05 AM
Toyota NA vs Toyota Global...
by mv6845 - 02/25/20 10:11 AM
How to determine Group II, III or IV
by Drew7a - 02/25/20 09:41 AM
Pulling axle question
by supton - 02/25/20 07:50 AM
Sams Club gas
by dbvettez061 - 02/25/20 07:44 AM
2019 Ram Battery Issue
by NYEngineer - 02/25/20 06:00 AM
belt squeaking suddenly
by dogememe - 02/24/20 11:45 PM
Is Mobil 1 advanced synthetic a full synthetic?
by apollo18 - 02/24/20 11:08 PM
what stocks to buy?
by daves66nova - 02/24/20 08:55 PM
I thought Windows 7 would be insecure now?
by atikovi - 02/24/20 08:48 PM
When to replace struts
by ram_man - 02/24/20 08:40 PM
Fluid Film + Cayenne Pepper
by pitzel - 02/24/20 05:22 PM
Ford Focus RS Oil Advice!
by fastsvo - 02/24/20 04:23 PM
Cleanest wheels on same axle or same side of car?
by atikovi - 02/24/20 04:13 PM
Mixing 2 stroke oils
by Hirev - 02/24/20 03:57 PM
Insa Turbo Ecosaver Plus
by faramir9 - 02/24/20 03:45 PM
Newest Members
EarlT500, Newbie111, Boris_Be, NHR, zip15
70798 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (Anduril, ammolab, 1978elcamino, alex_at, Aichiguy, 28oz, 10 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,906
Posts5,205,144
Members70,798
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. #5328594 01/21/20 09:25 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
W
WMNN1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Hello everyone new here been lurking here and vwvortex trying to learn about oils for my 2014 1.8t jetta se.

[/b]ok so![b]

I ran some quality platinum pennzoil in it for 13k instead of 10k when the car was hitting about 53k. Anyways it was 3k past the sticker. I was on leave and let it sit about a month and looked at the stick it had some blackened debris on the tip.

So at my new duty station I got it changed it was running rough to just around town and got some new oil in it that day. I wasnt sure what to get but told the guy to put the pennzoil ultra platinim or whatever (realized now this is the 0w40 european premium playinum pennzoil whatever with the light blue line on it) anyways the guy put high mileage 5w40 (maybe 30 wretch) in it. At this point I realized I needed to take control of my engines wellbeing and quit relying on randoms.


I've let the high mileage run through careful to warm it up and not push it for long periods, no burn on stick again yet, looks good. I've got maybe 4k on this new oil, it needs to get out though.

Plan is to get some t6 0w40 run it with 2-5oz of seafoam and get the bigger filter (any reccomendations). Then after maybe 2k miles switch to straight up t6 then after another 2k most likely switch back to the 0w40 pennzoil european car formula, or possibly amsoil ss 0w40, I've also considered liquimolly,dont want to use mobil1 or castrol at this point just well because.. and I feel like the t6(ik its not 502 but not outstandingly concerned unless some can tell me why it's a bad idea other than that it's not 502, feel like the bigger filter will mitigate it) will help get out those detergents from the high mileage, maybe I'm crazy?

I definitely like to run it hard and I live in NJ. Recently realized the 87 on the gas cap was a lie and run 91 or 93 now what a game changer. Also I run 1 to 2 bottles of seafoam in it every 2 to three fill ups. Seems to make everything smoother shifts better more responsive.

I'd appreciate any input on any of this and thank you for dealing with my long winded situation. So summary oil filters plan for transitioning back into 0w40 and 0w40 recommendations off what my plan contains.

Thank you!!!

Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328608 01/21/20 09:55 AM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,286
sloinker Online Shocked
Online Shocked
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,286
The 40 weight may be a bit heavy for a happy vvt actuator imo. I would find a 502/505 5W30 and run that. I think VW recently changed the spec to 504/507 for most of its engines including the 1.8t.


'16 Tiguan TSI Vaico 5W40
'15 VW Golf TDI Ravenol VMP 5W30
'15 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI VMP 5W30
'14 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6 Red Line Blue Label 5W20
'64 Plymouth Fury440 Red Line Blue Label 10W40
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328637 01/21/20 10:40 AM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 722
B
BAJA_05 Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 722
I have been running Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40 since the 2nd oil change on my Jetta in signature. Any Pennzoil product is great oil from the get go. Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus is outstanding oil and feel secure/safe using it moving forward all day & nite.


2017 VW Jetta SE TSI 1.4L Turbo (hers)
PP Euro 0W40 & FU (42K)
2008 Acura TL 3.2L PPPP 0W20 & FU (114K)
2005 Subaru Baja AWD 2.5L N/A 5spd.
T6 MV 5W30 & FU (103K)
2000 Ram 4X4 5.2L (93K) T6 MV 5W30 & FU
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328666 01/21/20 11:21 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,104
Z
zrxkawboy Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,104
I would choose a good quality oil that meets the specs for your car and run it. No need for additives, and no need to switch oils to “get out those detergents “.


"Think of all the Ford owners who will someday want an automobile." John Dodge

Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: zrxkawboy] #5328668 01/21/20 11:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,659
53' Stude Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,659
Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I would choose a good quality oil that meets the specs for your car and run it. No need for additives, and no need to switch oils to “get out those detergents “.



I'll 2nd that recommendation smile


2009 Toyota Camry LE

161,669 miles

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w20 Dexos 1 Gen 2 SN+
Fram tough guard 4386 filter
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328669 01/21/20 11:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
Originally Posted by WMNN1988
So at my new duty station I got it changed it was running rough to just around town and got some new oil in it that day. I wasnt sure what to get but told the guy to put the pennzoil ultra platinim or whatever (realized now this is the 0w40 european premium playinum pennzoil whatever with the light blue line on it) anyways the guy put high mileage 5w40 (maybe 30 wretch) in it. At this point I realized I needed to take control of my engines wellbeing and quit relying on randoms.

Plan is to get some t6 0w40 run it with 2-5oz of seafoam and get the bigger filter (any reccomendations). Then after maybe 2k miles switch to straight up t6 then after another 2k most likely switch back to the 0w40 pennzoil european car formula, or possibly amsoil ss 0w40, I've also considered liquimolly,dont want to use mobil1 or castrol at this point just well because.. and I feel like the t6(ik its not 502 but not outstandingly concerned unless some can tell me why it's a bad idea other than that it's not 502, feel like the bigger filter will mitigate it) will help get out those detergents from the high mileage, maybe I'm crazy?!

Learning to use spell check is a big first step here, it helps the reader piece together either the point you're trying to make or the question you’re trying ask.

The required approval for your oil is far more important than the brand or the listed grade. VW specifications require a minimum HTHS and that will be met regardless of what grade is printed on the label. To dismiss Castrol or Mobil 1 "just because" is wrong. Approvals are what matter here and little else in this situation.

And you're saying that a larger filter somehow makes up for lack of approval? Lol that’s a new one.


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: kschachn] #5328685 01/21/20 11:55 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,905
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,905
Originally Posted by kschachn
Learning to use spell check is a big first step here, it helps the reader piece together either the point you're trying to make or the question you’re trying ask.

The post needs more help than spell check can provide..."no burn on stick" is a new one for me. 😂

Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5328689 01/21/20 11:59 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
There used to be a frequent "new user" on Bitog that lived in NJ, maybe this is him. The rambling, "ask 30 half-questions" style is certainly similar.


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5328697 01/21/20 12:09 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
W
WMNN1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Yeah well there was burnt black residue before the change and none has resurfaced was my point.

Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: kschachn] #5328698 01/21/20 12:09 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
W
WMNN1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Nah I just didnt have much time to post sorry it wasnt more coherent.

Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: zrxkawboy] #5328705 01/21/20 12:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
W
WMNN1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
That was a side thought. I feel like castrol and Mobil 1 have more additives zinc and magnesium and what not, I feel like the t6 is more standard quality less gimmicks but I'm no oil expert, professional input would be appreciated. Anyone can talk [censored]..


anyways what do you think about seafoam 5oz 1 per each quart for 2k miles, or would I be better off doing like 100 miles? I'm trying to get rid of the high mileage and residue from the oil burning, does anyone have recommendations for that?

How likely is it that I may need to drop my oil pan it I'm not seeing any burnt particles on my dip stick? I want this engine and hopefully transmission(maybe dreaming) to beat 300k miles or more.


Anyways no one said anything abou6 amsoil ss I dont mind spending oil change at a dealer money instead of 40 bucks doing it myself if it means I give my car the best chance at longevity.

Man be constructive I'm in the navy and I've met some salty maintenance techs but [censored] boy dont cook me out the gate theres a lot of angles and emotions in me fixing an egregious mistake on my first new(ish) car I've bought, ask me anything about this situation I will gladly give info!!!

I've heard oil reports for the t6 are supposed to be incredible with this engine on the vwvortex, any oil needs gonna toss in I love being told science or reasoning and experience not oh do this easy cop out replies.


Sorry to contribute to saltiness but i just had my afternoon coffee.


Ty everyone for your time btw also!!!

Last edited by WMNN1988; 01/21/20 12:18 PM.
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328709 01/21/20 12:19 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,905
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,905
Originally Posted by WMNN1988
Nah I just didnt have much time to post sorry it wasnt more coherent.

Than wait until you do have more time. I don't mind wasting my time here helping folks but I gave up on yours because it was difficult to read. A spelling or punctuation error here and there is no big deal but I figure if you can't put in the effort to at least make halfway coherent sentences, why should I?

Best of luck...

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 01/21/20 12:20 PM.
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328713 01/21/20 12:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,659
53' Stude Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,659
Wmnn1988: how about edge 0w40 and no additives? Just a uneducated thought wink


2009 Toyota Camry LE

161,669 miles

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w20 Dexos 1 Gen 2 SN+
Fram tough guard 4386 filter
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: WMNN1988] #5328725 01/21/20 12:31 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
Originally Posted by WMNN1988
That was a side thought. I feel like castrol and Mobil 1 have more additives zinc and magnesium and what not, I feel like the t6 is more standard quality less gimmicks but I'm no oil expert, professional input would be appreciated. Anyone can talk [censored]..

anyways what do you think about seafoam 5oz 1 per each quart for 2k miles, or would I be better off doing like 100 miles? I'm trying to get rid of the high mileage and residue from the oil burning, does anyone have recommendations for that?

How likely is it that I may need to drop my oil pan it I'm not seeing any burnt particles on my dip stick? I want this engine and hopefully transmission(maybe dreaming) to beat 300k miles or more.

Anyways no one said anything abou6 amsoil ss I dont mind spending oil change at a dealer money instead of 40 bucks doing it myself if it means I give my car the best chance at longevity.

Man be constructive I'm in the navy and I've met some salty maintenance techs but [censored] boy dont cook me out the gate theres a lot of angles and emotions in me fixing an egregious mistake on my first new(ish) car I've bought, ask me anything about this situation I will gladly give info!!!

I've heard oil reports for the t6 are supposed to be incredible with this engine on the vwvortex, any oil needs gonna toss in I love being told science or reasoning and experience not oh do this easy cop out replies.

Sorry to contribute to saltiness but i just had my afternoon coffee.

Ty everyone for your time btw also!!!

30 more half-questions, most of which have already been addressed in the thread.

Joseph?


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: 1.8t 0w40, plus a situation. [Re: 53' Stude] #5328731 01/21/20 12:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,569
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Wmnn1988: how about edge 0w40 and no additives? Just a uneducated thought wink

No, that is a very educated response. Carries actual VW 502 00 approval.


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™