Will You Jump Someone Else's Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five years ago I was on a boy scout camping trip with my son. One of the other dads had to leave at 5 am. It was about midnight. He asked if I would jump his car. I said why don't we do it in the morning when you leave? I forgot why he wanted to do it now but we walked across an icy parking lot to go do it. I slipped and broke my ankle.
Now, I will measure the circumstances more carefully before I do anything for anyone.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
No. I don't want to be falsely accused of screwing up their already screwed up electronics. Especially if I were driving my 4-series.

Except if you were stranded and needed a jump.

I helped a couple of day workers a few years ago who needed a jump at the local recycling center. They had apparently dropped off some waste materials but couldn't get their beater sedan started. So they rolled it out of the way, opened the hood, held some jumper cables, and stood there looking needy as car after car just drove past them. I dropped off my recycling, then to their surprise I drove right up to them and popped my hood. The language barrier didn't really get in the way since it was obvious what they needed and it didn't hide the fact that they were obviously grateful. I was happy to do it. Good karma points.

Years past, I had no problems giving anybody in need a jump. Nowadays, unless I seem somebody stuck in Timbuktu, I let them figure it out and call whomever. Too much of this "Stranger Danger" mindset ingrained with women nowadays and the last two young women I helped acted like I was gonna to do something to them the whole time. Exceptions are immediate friends and family.

Only if I know them. With every one having a cell phone and towing services just a call away these days I don't feel bad about saying no either.

I've gotten to the point in life I don't like asking for help for something like a jump from a stranger, I would feel bad if it broke something on their vehicle.

I've received many jump starts over the years and I remain willing to pay it forward as needed. I carry 20 foot long 4 gauge cables in all my vehicles. They may go years between uses but they are always there and ready.

Only if I know them. Never again a stranger. Got in trouble with the last person I didn't know.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Only if I know them. Never again a stranger. Got in trouble with the last person I didn't know.

What kind of trouble?

Originally Posted by tig1
No. I don't want to be falsely accused of screwing up their already screwed up electronics. Especially if I were driving my 4-series.

Answer: AAA

Not that I'd ever get stranded because of a bad battery. I'd have to be down right lazy since me vehicle gives me ample warning of a weak battery.

Last edited:

Not that I'd ever get stranded because of a bad battery. I'd have to be down right lazy since me vehicle gives me ample warning of a weak battery.

It won't give you a warning if it shorts circuit.

Is this true? How does it work?

unless one of the cars is a Audi BMW, MB or VW.

Some of them require a trip to the dealer after a battery failure/rundown.

Rod

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
One more reason to carry one of those lithum battery jumper pack.

I was flagged down this morning by someone needing a jump - he had his trunk open where the battery in his beamer wagon supposedly. He asked me to pull up behind him, so he could hook up his cables. NOPE! No more cables for me!

He looked frustrated when I declined and told him I'd be back with a jump box after I found a parking spot. He then looked a bit skeptical when I actually came back with a small hard-case containing my NOCO GB70. Hookup to his under-hood jump points took a couple of seconds; he didn't even wait before cranking, but the car started immediately and he was on his way.

He mentioned that he was going to get a new car next Summer, so it wasn't worth buying a new battery.
21.gif

It won't give you a warning if it shorts circuit.

+1

Or you leave something on or something fails and maintains a draw.

Another good reason to have a jump box. I've got a NOCO for our main vehicle and a MUCH cheaper Tacklife box for the second vehicle.

In my old car, I did. I don't do it now, roast the step-down device that supplies 12V in a Toyota hybrid and you're looking at replacing an inverter.

I have a Li-Ion jump pack I carry now but I feel it's more appropriate for a Prius or Fit.

Originally Posted by nthach

I have a Li-Ion jump pack I carry now but I feel it's more appropriate for a Prius or Fit.

Those will start full size pick-up trucks with ease!

Originally Posted by brages

Is this true? How does it work?

I get a dash notification. My vehicle has stop/start technology and it will fire a warning when the battery is at the point where the feature may not function. This is in addition to the typical long cranks associated with a failing battery. Plus I'm well aware of the age of my battery.

I've been driving for well over 20 years and the number of times I've needed a jump. Answer: Zero.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

No.

Same here. No...unless it is immediate family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by PimTac

No.

Same here. No...unless it is immediate family.

In that case I would but only after stopping off somewhere to buy a jump box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back