2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 Liqui Moly 5w-40 4,000 miles, 24K

Status
Not open for further replies.
car was driven hard this time, lots of pulls and general ******ery. Currently filled with Castrol 0w-40, we'll see how it performs

[Linked Image]

q50-24K-oil-report.jpg

Originally Posted by nighamreuki
car was driven hard this time, lots of pulls and general ******ery.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm wondering about those silver numbers.

Your car, your money.

There's your answer......
grin.gif

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Originally Posted by nighamreuki
car was driven hard this time, lots of pulls and general ******ery.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm wondering about those silver numbers.

Your car, your money.

There's your answer......
grin.gif

I was figuring that as well. I was reminded of an old Subaru saying, " silver and lead, she's dead."

No lead in the report but we hardly ever see silver numbers, especially that high.

We don't know the silver level of the previous UOA with a different make, so we'll have to wait & see till the next one comes in.
I sincerely doubt that that was caused by LM

As others said we need more data to establish a trend but it's odd, VQ's and VR's aren't known for bearing issues unless making big horsepower and torque, 550+. Are you running the stock map or is the car tuned? If the car is stock I'd run the Castrol this time but going forward run either Redline 0w40 or Mobil1 FS. Both have long track records of working well under hard use in the VQ and VR engines. If it is tuned to make big HP, speak with the tuner both about their recommendations and maybe about checking their work, then start saving for the "popped my engine fund".

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
So you returned to the Jug that costs half as much your next UOA is going to be interesting.

yup, it definitely didn't like the LM, i'll do another sample @ 4K miles

Originally Posted by GZRider
As others said we need more data to establish a trend but it's odd, VQ's and VR's aren't known for bearing issues unless making big horsepower and torque, 550+. Are you running the stock map or is the car tuned? If the car is stock I'd run the Castrol this time but going forward run either Redline 0w40 or Mobil1 FS. Both have long track records of working well under hard use in the VQ and VR engines. If it is tuned to make big HP, speak with the tuner both about their recommendations and maybe about checking their work, then start saving for the "popped my engine fund".

engine 100% stock, only has axleback exhaust

Last edited:
I have had great luck with Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 oil in my Subaru's. I hope it works well for your application. Lived in Germany for three years, found Liqui-Moly to be very average.

GZRider I don't agree that Mobil 1 0W-40FS is a good way to go for a motor that might have a problem. Too light at 12.9 cSt. I would use Redline or AMSOIL if the Castrol run still shows high Silver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Razorsharpe
GZRider I don't agree that Mobil 1 0W-40FS is a good way to go for a motor that might have a problem. Too light at 12.9 cSt. I would use Redline or AMSOIL if the Castrol run still shows high Silver.

hopefully this was a fluke, if theres a bearing problem no oil can fix that. we'll see whats happening in few thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back