Standard Cab Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Yeah, that hit every branch falling out of the ugly tree. Look at the tiny little Chevy bowtie on the left side of the grill. That's different.

Owning 3 Chevy trucks (well, 2 trucks and a Colorado) I really wish I could disagree with you. But I can't with a straight face.

I still haven't figured out why they take an engine that fits in my 2002 Camaro and put it into an engine compartment so large you need ladders and scaffolding to work on it. Add a front end with the aerodynamics of a brick to complete the package.

Cooling capacity. The grill needs to be large to fit the cooling system necessary to cool the engine and trans, when it's towing at it's maximum rated load, up a 6+% grade, on a 100+° F day.

True, but you'd think they could overcome that (to some extent) with ducting. I realize high speed cars can take advantage of ram effect, but they churn out high horsepower too and thus have to shed heat too.

Then again, maybe frontal area matters less than how air falls off on the backside of the truck--and quite often, the worst loads are when pulling trailers, where the aerodynamics of the tow vehicle seem to matter little.

Huge grilles are in vogue now. It would be interesting to open the hood and see how much empty space is back there.

Grill size is ok. It's the stupid grill shutters "behind" the grill that is the problem. I took 2 of the grill shutters out on my 2018 "3.6" reg cab 2wd. Now the water temp has never gotten over 203° and the oil temp now never gets over 196°.
If I had the HEMI I would take 4 of them out.
Before if you were doing 70+ on the interstate not towing/hauling the water would be 212-218° and the oil would get to 205-212°.
Zero difference in MPG.

My FIL just bought a new 2020 Silverado 2500 Regular Cab 4x4. It is hideous, but at least his has a chrome bumper to offset all that black grille. It is a basic work truck with just power windows and locks and I believe the window sticker was $42k and he got it for $38k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back