8 Utes on test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Very cool. I recall New Zealand and Australia leading the way in small 4 door pickups before they arrived in North America.

exactly, those are small 4 door pickups, not Utes.
a Ute, short for Utility, or Coupe Utility is a car Chassis with a pickup type bed.
a Vehicle class we used to have here in the states, Vehicles like the Chevy El Camino, Ford Ranchero, Dodge Rampage, VW Rabbit Pickup/Golf Caddy/Caddy to name a few examples.

Hrm... the Wikipedia page for Ute(Vehicle) seems to say that I'm wrong... I Stand Corrected...

"Historically, the term "ute" (short for 'utility vehicle') has been used to describe a 2-door vehicle based on a passenger car chassis, such as the Holden Commodore, Australian Ford Falcon, Chevrolet El Camino and Subaru BRAT. Australian produced utes were traditionally rear-wheel drive and with the cargo tray integrated with the passenger body (as opposed to a pickup truck, where the cargo tray is separated from the passenger body).

In the 21st century, the term has become more broadly used, for any vehicle with a cargo tray at the rear (which would be called a pickup truck in other countries)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_(vehicle)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupé_utility

It WAS a good test. A bit surprised that the Mitsu won...but then again Mitsubishi is a dying brand here in the US.

One thing I really liked was they had the same rubber on every vehicle.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
It WAS a good test. A bit surprised that the Mitsu won...but then again Mitsubishi is a dying brand here in the US.

One thing I really liked was they had the same rubber on every vehicle.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I liked this test because they really tried to make it even starting point.

By picking the 2.0 twin turbo for the Ranger, the other engine option was in the BT50, so no double up on the 5 cyl. The Ranger is the most popular here, followed by the Hi Lux and Triton, but the Triton is so much better value for the money it's an easy win.

Interesting, unfortunately we can't get any of them in the States. The closest would be the Colorado and Ranger.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought the reaction would either be total lack of interest because they aren't available in the US...or, some interest in what they can't get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back