Security Camera upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Hello fellow bitogers.

I decided to upgrade my front security camera for one with a wide angle lens. I bought a Q-See system that came with four bullet type cameras and an NVR. No complaint about the system, it has been so far very reliable and have been running none stop for about two years now. However, the bundled cameras don't have the viewing angle I nee for the front of the house.

I bought an Anpviz 5MP IP dome camera. It has good reviews on Amazon and I wanted something inexpensive as I was not sure if Q-see will accept other brands of cameras. It does, but I could not get the camera to work when connected directly to the NVR. I had to hook it up to the same router the NVR is connected to, give it a static IP and it was picked up no problem. Motion detection and recording all work just like with q-see branded cameras. So it's a bit of a mixed bag as far as compatibility.

Here is the new camera

[Linked Image]

Here is the view from the old camera
[Linked Image]

View from the new one. Much better coverage. I'm pretty happy with the results.
[Linked Image]

Nice. I also have a Q-see system that included 8 cameras. I need to add a few more and would like a wider view as well. I don't use a router though. Sounds like I'll need to do some more research on what, if any will work being plugged directly into the NVR. My system works well but I occasionally have to reset it for some reason to get it to show the cams on the mobile app.

How wide is the field of view on the new camera?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Nice. I also have a Q-see system that included 8 cameras. I need to add a few more and would like a wider view as well. I don't use a router though. Sounds like I'll need to do some more research on what, if any will work being plugged directly into the NVR. My system works well but I occasionally have to reset it for some reason to get it to show the cams on the mobile app.

How wide is the field of view on the new camera?

It is listed at 108 on amazon.

If you can use the app to view the feed, then your system is connected to a router, could be the modem/router from your ISP. All you need is a poe injector to provide power through the cat 5 cable and connect the camera to that same router of you have free ports left.
I didn't so I bought a poe 4 port poe switch that also provides power.

Thanks. I still have 8 ports available on the NVR and really only need 2, maybe 3 more cameras.

Nice upgrade. I had to set my mom's place up with cameras after some jerks decided they needed her stuff more than she did, which was just before Black Friday (I find the irony in that, but then again, it wasn't my stuff), and Lorex had a great sale. Got a 1TB camera and 6 4K night vision cams for $389. But then I had to run all of those lines thru the attic and crawlspace, and I had a terrible reminder that I'm not as young as I used to be even though my wife says I act like it sometimes.

If I do any more systems I'm going wireless, your camera looks like it will do a great job. Congrats!

Originally Posted by alarmguy
How about the night vision, is it easy to make out details like a face?

Superior to Q-see ones.
The first thing I noticed last evening was that while the q-see cameras switched to infrared mode, the new one stayed on daytime mode. So it appears to have a bigger aperture.
These q-see cameras are quite terrible, now that I have some basis for comparison.

This was just about when the switch happened:

[Linked Image]

Here is where it was later in the evening.

[Linked Image]

And this is late at night.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good post, thanks for the photos.
A couple months back I installed 3 wifi cameras, if anything, just for fun, the cost was stupid low @ $39 on sale, so figured why not.
They are made by a Hikvision owned company called EZ Viz C3WN.

They work good enough daytime video is terrific, night time video is bright yet would never be able to make out anyones face.
Having installed more professional cameras in the past, the biggest disappointment is the motion detection and honestly think that it the case for the vast majority of WIFI cameras out there.
They use contrast motion detection which is super sensitive and will bookmark or record any bug flying by or the shadows of trees blowing int he wind.
I think ideal would be PIR then again, its harder I think for someone to "beat" contrast motion.
Anyway, I would prefer PIR motion also the IR lights on the cameras seem to attract their fair share of flying bugs at night and well, kind of stupid that you end up with a ton of video clips on motion because the IR lights are attracting bugs.
I leave the IR off now as the cameras will record when my motion activated spots light come on, anyway, just annoying.

Using the wifi EZ VIZ C3WN I dont use a NVR/DVR. It records clips of motion on a 128G micro sd card. The app on the phone works great, the motion recording works like a more professional system in that it will record about 10 seconds prior to the motion actually being activated. So lets say if someone is walking up your driveway, it will capture 10 seconds before they actually trigger the motion.
Being I did this for fun Im not too concerned about identifying people at night or ever, this was a fun project, I never had any type of crime in our area. In 15 years one home got broke into 2 years back.,
If ever I find a wifi camera that does everything these EZ Viz C3WN cameras do very well, meaning excellent video, excellent app, excellent wifi range, excellent nighttime IR range too, rock solid performance (so far) with the bonus of having a better, more stable, motion PIR system then I would upgrade.

Since I got these cameras at such a great price it was a no brainer, to run the wires for power etc and I would recommend them to anyone who wants something simple and inexpensive, I dont think they can be be at the price for a non DVR/NVR wifi camera system but I would be glad to spend more if I could get true PIR motion instead of contrast. Even with that said, one must keep in mind, with extreme hot temperatures the PIR motion will not be as effective.
Ill post photos of the video I get when time in the coming day. Its really nice, just so many darn clips recorded because of flying bugs and trees blowing in the wind, which isnt a big deal as you will have video if something happens at your house for sure.

Last edited:
Wow, well, you just made my day. Wow, you are correct, they are now $70. I cant believe it, at $59 I thought they were on sale but then price was lowered to $39 back in Nov. I thought maybe they were clearing them out.
I purchased them from Walmart online and first order from Electronics Express (indirectly through Walmart) and then went down to $39 @ Walmart online directly.

Ironically, I just installed 2 of them at my sons house yesterday, they bought the slightly more expensive version with two way voice which to me is a nothing but was to his wife.
We also have the interior pan-tilt camera for indoors which will only be powered while we are away or if we ever want to see what our dog does while we are out. Those are still on sale at $39. I haven't hooked mine up yet but my sons wife was impressed with it at their house.

Yes, correct, has a cat 5 connector and was impressed that it did, though, I guess it would not make sense to pay for a camera with wifi and then use the CAT unless you found out range was an issue, simply because would seem that the wifi would make it more expensive if not needed, then again the price it was great to know it had the CAT as if I had a range issue I could have used it. I am unclear though, if it is POE at this price.

With that said, I wish the motions worked more like a PIR vs contrast detection, like said this was a fun project, was more interested in seeing what set off our motion spotlights in the middle of the night, so far its was a raccoon, possum, neighbor cat or too and think around this time of year we may see a deer or too.
Also curious if any community kids cut through our yard *L*

Ill post photos soon, gotta get to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back