2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Subaru 5w-30 6447 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I didn't know they still made the 6 cylinder.

2019 was the last year.
May the mighty H6 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Ken42

2019 was the last year.
May the mighty H6 R.I.P.

Long live the FA24DIT :p

Originally Posted by gathermewool

2019 was the last year.
May the mighty H6 R.I.P.

Long live the FA24DIT :p

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
It's really too bad Subaru has stuck with their crappy fake-shift logic in their CVT's recently. This is the main reason we'll likely not upgrade from our FXT with a CVT-that-behaves-like-a-CVT to something like the 2020 Outback XT, with its wonky fake-shifting CVT. Well, that and the stupidly large, laggy touch screen display, which is an absolute turn-off for me. I'm in my 30s and can't stand touch-screens. What the heck is wrong with tried-and-true BUTTONS?

If it were me, I would consider a better oil than the "Subaru 5w30 ", unless the dealer is giving it to you free. Most of my vehicles show less iron and copper.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
If it were me, I would consider a better oil than the "Subaru 5w30 ", unless the dealer is giving it to you free. Most of my vehicles show less iron and copper.

All ready switched. Vavoline 5w-30 synthetic

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

All ready switched. Vavoline 5w-30 synthetic

Was this a synthetic or conventional?

Good call. That oil doesn't seem to be doing its job very well. If it can't stay in grade for 6k miles and the TBN down to just above 2, time for another oil. I'd love to see a VOA on this. It must start around 10 cSt and 5ish for the TBN. Can't believe subaru would put they're name on that. I can't see that engine being that hard on oil. IL be doing a UOA on my inlaws 2016 3.6R soon, I'll keep you posted.

I have a 17 H6 and have had excellent results with 10k OCI on Mobil 1 5-30 EP and Fram Ultra filter.

The CVT in mine shift programming is very soft and I have come to like it. I had a 2008 Maxima and that CVT (although it lasted without issue) felt horrible. CVT in the H6 has been great so far.

I have 72k on mine and I would buy another Outback BUT NOT with the current engine offerings.

Synthetic
If you look under VOA's I posted a analysis of the
Subaru 5w-30 oil.
Ken

Lol. I was pretty much bang on with the cSt. But the TBN @ 7.1 is surprising. Calcium is quite high in this oil too.

Nevertheless it's poor compared to most name brand ots synthetics available.

My wife's 2018 Outback with the 3.6R has been smooth as silk. We have been using the dealer for all maintenance and they have been using 5W30 syn oil at around 5K-6K OCI's... 30K total miles so far and mostly all highway miles. Very impressed with the Outback... I may start doing the OCI's myself and probably will use 5W30 Valvoline full syn HM with Maxlife technology. Have used this oil in other vehicles and been very happy with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back