2.4L GDI Turbo available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the import scene, always told myself I wouldn't. But, having to drive an hour to work, one way, decided it was time to get something a bit more economical. I've been looking all over the interwebs, searching for turbo kits for my 2014 K5 Optima. Everything I've found tells me they're only available for the 2.0L. My question is 2 fold; Is there a reasonably priced turbo kit anyone knows of? And, what are the chances the intake manifold is the same for the 2.4L as it is for the 2.0L? Thanks to those that respond, over & out.

It would probably be a much safer bet to sell the car you have and buy one with the 2.0 turbo. There is more to it than just slapping a turbo on. I'm not certain of the exact differences between the 2.4 and the 2.0T but I don't think the 2.4 was built with turbochargers in mind so it is probably not quite as stout.

This isn't something I'm dead set on doing, I'm just looking into it to see what the options are. Is it affordable, what else would need to be done to the engine to sustain the boost in power, etc.. I appreciate the replies.

You asked about a "cheap turbo"
Question 1. Do you have enough money for a replacement engine if the turbo causes the current one to pop?
Question 2. Do you have an extra car to use?
If you answered no to either of these questions, forced induction isn't right for you.

You will be far ahead $$wise if you sell your car and get a turbo car. Remember, your oil changes maybe cut in half from what you are doing now. Some 2.0T Hyundai's have spark plug issues where they crack porcelain upper and lower or drop insulation shields and tank motors. If you buy them used you don't get the 100,000 miles drivetrain warranty and with your daily mileage you will kill that in quick order. Then getting back to your 2.4, you are susceptible to the Hyundai rod bearing issue that maybe exacerbated with a turbo. Hyundai has had this issue for the last 8 or so years and they have not a clue why it is happening. Even though they say it is fixed because of not having the engine machine chips that they said was the issue, to this day, there are many motor rod bearing's falling to some gremlin in the motor they have not found.

An engine should be designed with a turbo to start with, not put on later. Durability, heat issues, torque (bearing loads), fuel maps, emissions, etc. are not simple. Sure it can be done, yet is it a good idea to kit one on?
Hyundai's new '20 Sonata (great styling) will have a 2.5L turbo in a few months. "Based on the Sonata's new 2.5-liter inline-four, the N-Line version adds a turbocharger, a different cylinder head, and unique internals. " -- car and driver.... ... Notice the engineering changes to their 2.5L non-turbo they have to go thru.

And zillions of 2.0L turbos are out there on every make and model practically as you know, as a cheap option.

Not sure if "more economical" and "add a turbo" live in the same space.
More power = more fuel used, and you run the risk of damaging an engine not built with the turbo from the factory.
Had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L (same powertrain as your ride) and found that car to be amazingly good on fuel use.
Easy 40 mpg on the highway when driven at reasonable speeds. (70 mph or less)

Modern turbo engines use tricks to ensure longevity. Squirting oil on the underside of the pistons as an example. And things like the connecting rods, pistons and piston rings are typically stronger. The aftermarket turbo kits have low boost because they would granade an engine quick otherwise. Dont waste your money.

Is there a reason you are starting with the 2.4? Is it something you already have? I have experience with both the Kia 2.4(wife's car) and turbocharging a non-turbo car.

If this is a high mileage DD, DO NOT DO IT. the fastest way to find weak points of an engine is to boost it. Yes there are kits that range from $3-7K and the lower end ones are not plug and play. As others have mentioned your best selling and buying a turbo. Kia, Honda, Ford, and others have factory turbo options.

My best advice for a DD that I wish I would have listened to years ago. Don't do anything but maintenance. Find a cheap project car for things like turbo kits.

Thanks for all of yall's replies. Like I said, new to the import/small motor scene. I was just hunting for ideas. I think I'll leave the motor as is and enjoy the good mileage. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to yall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back