2020 Dodge Durango GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in Miami now for some days off with the family and got a subject car as a rental (shouldn've been VW JETTA but they didn't have any at the time i was picking the car up so works for me). Back to the topic, i'm actually quite impressed with the truck, plenty of power for 3.6, transmission shifts quite smooth and effortless, very nice minimalistic interior, comfy leather/alcantara seats etc. What i'm really curious about is a long term experience with these rigs. Can anyone share how's the reliability etc? How often do you guys visit dealer for any repairs etc? Just all that jazz about FCA products on this platform makes me wonder...

How many of the negative comments are from members that don't own a current FCA product? One thing to note about the Durango and it's cousin, the Jeep grand Cherokee, is that the platform is old.
The vehicle is still based on the 2011 platform. It's been tweaked over the life of the platform however. I would assume some things have been sorted out and the vehicle isn't as bad as a Toyota only worry wort
would think.

And if it matters, Consumers reports says lots of negative things about the 2020 Honda Passport in the handling department while they are positive about the Durango in it's ride, handling and how stable of a tow vehicle it is.

My aunt has a '16 Grand Cherokee and I haven't heard her complain about it. If there were issues with it, I would definitely hear it. She previously had a '14 4Runner and she would talk about this brake pedal squeak that nagged her continuously.

Only real issues we had with our 2016 was the failure of a section of the rear LED light and the rear USB ports got snow packed in them, shorting them (kids). Other than that it was pretty problem-free.

Wish I would have bought a 2014 V6 instead of the 2011 v8 I had.

2016+ models got the Pentastar upgrade engine, which has stop start, revised VVT as well as variable lift, among other tweaks. On the Durango pages, there seems to be less issues with v6 models than there are for the 5.7's. Burnt out center/hatch tail lights are pretty common, ~$650 if you buy a new OEM part and install it yourself.

Pretty tried and true iteration for the Pentastar and the transmission. They have has about 8 years to iron out the bugs. I really like the looks of the current Durango in white with blackout features. Looks like a criminal would drive it.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
How many of the negative comments are from members that don't own a current FCA product?

33.gif

So now you have to own one in order to comment on them.
Many people I know specifically avoid an FCA product because of their history of high repair costs and problematic reliability.
There are plenty of (reasonably) reliable places to look that document FCA's bottom of the barrel repair history. Like all automakers, some models are better than others, but in general the consumer is taking a higher risk when choosing FCA.

As always, good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
How many of the negative comments are from members that don't own a current FCA product?

33.gif

Many people I know specifically avoid an FCA product because of their history of high repair costs and problematic reliability.
There are plenty of (reasonably) reliable places to look that document FCA's bottom of the barrel repair history. Like all automakers, some models are better than others, but in general the consumer is taking a higher risk when choosing FCA.

As always, good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

And how many times do fanboys of other brands point out "you don't even have one! Have you even driven one lately? You can't comment on it!" Or "I had one a decade or 2... or 3... or 4... ago and it was horrible!"
coffee2.gif

My grandpa has a 14' Grand Cherokee Limited (basically same platform) that he's had for 3 years and 19k miles. We drive him in it.

Overall, eh, it's ok I guess. We bought it as a desert off-road vehicle and it does that great. Reliability though?

Radiator has failed, thermostat housing leaked, electronic power steering rack leaks a little, transfer case control module failed (4x4 control was dead too), oil pressure switch failed which required the intake manifold to be removed, 1 headlight bulb replacement at my friend's shop was $180 ($100 bulb, his cost), and it's had evap codes off and on the past year or so. Now they're solid and won't go away. Inner cover for panoramic sunroof is getting stuck and doesn't want to close all the time, so we stopped using it. My mechanic's fancy Snap On scan tool shows all sorts of stored codes with the electronic lift gate, the radio, and all sorts of other stuff.

But it serves its off-road purpose, so it'll stay for now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

33.gif

As always, good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Yes, the old my brother's friend's cousin's roommate once knew someone who had one.

33.gif

As always, good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Says the dude driving his grandma's Mitsubishi. Truly the bottom of the heap. You still living in her basement and playacting Star Trek? Thought so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Says the dude driving his grandma's Mitsubishi. Truly the bottom of the heap. You still living in her basement and playacting Star Trek? Thought so.

Hey, thanks for the personal attack. It really expands the discussion.
The ongoing experiment with the car in my sig is to see how long I can keep it running before the rust demon evaporates it. I readily admit that it's a beater.
Now, back on topic.

Do you have anything to add to the FCA reliability discussion?

Do you have anything to add to the FCA reliability discussion?

Well let's see...he owns a couple FCA products, I'd say he brings much more to the discussion than you.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Well let's see...he owns a couple FCA products, I'd say he brings much more to the discussion than you.

Oh, how so?

33.gif

As always, good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Considering the OP appeared to be soliciting the opinion of and feedback from people who have owned and operated the vehicle in question, I'd say yes, ownership or at least long-term experience was pretty much a prerequisite.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Considering the OP appeared to be soliciting the opinion of and feedback from people who have owned and operated the vehicle in question, I'd say yes, ownership or at least long-term experience was pretty much a prerequisite.

Hmm, that's funny because I read the OP stating this

Originally Posted by parshisa
What i'm really curious about is a long term experience with these rigs. Can anyone share how's the reliability etc?

Which seems open ended.
So I shared that the reliability of a lot of FCA products is demonstrably quite poor.
So then someone dinged me with a personal attack.
And now we're here.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:

What i'm really curious about is a long term experience with these rigs. Can anyone share how's the reliability etc?

Which seems open ended.
So I shared that the reliability of a lot of FCA products is demonstrably quite poor.
And now we're here.
cheers3.gif

You conveniently left out the next sentence.
cheers3.gif

Which seems open ended.
And now we're here.
cheers3.gif

Except directly following that he stated:
Can anyone share how's the reliability etc? How often do you guys visit dealer for any repairs etc?

Which implies actual experience with the vehicle in question.

I have experience with a 2016 Durango which we owned before we bought a truck, and I've owned two GC's, a 2016 SRT and my current 2020. I feel I can provide at least some useful insight here from an owner's perspective. Anybody can read Consumers Reports or some other generic reliability data, one doesn't need to create a thread to find that stuff out.

Anybody can read Consumers Reports or some other generic reliability data, one doesn't need to create a thread to find that stuff out.

Except this happens all the time here.

The OP asked about Dodge Durango reliability.
You can provide a perspective from an owner's standpoint, others can provide equally valid commentary without actually owning the product.
If anything, ownership bias places too much weight on a singular experience versus a comprehensive evaluation of the overall product performance.

But hey, what do I know, I don't own one after all...
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back