Standard Cab Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe my eyes when the Chevrolet commercial came on yesterday while watching football but it was a Standard Cab.

I guess I don't watch a lot of commercials since I DVR every thing so this may not be news to some.

Last edited:
Standard cab are still highly used in commercial and delivery applications. Given the obnoxious cost of modern full size trucks, why would any entity like that pay for more truck then they need?

For private, and especially family type use, the crew cab really is where its at... If you want a bed and not an SUV.

I always thought that the short bed, single cab truck looked neat. We're at the the point in the economy where personal use vehicles are going to be financed (since the typical American buyer isnt actually rich enough to buy it outright) for "fun". So a single cab, short bed pickup for all those offroad trips that the usual suburbanite does, is appealing. Spoken as one, who bought their first vehicle (outright) as a single cab, short bed pickup, btw, back in '98. If the marketing folks can appeal to a broader set of consumers, of course they will.

I was only a tot, but I recall single cab, short bed pickups to be all the rage in the early 80's. Especially ones with upsized tires and light bars (KC lights, IIRC?). Now those folks who were in their teens and 20s back then are coming free of kids and having more disposable income, and they sure might want one of those trucks while gas is cheap... I dont think short beds are available much anymore with regular cabs, but that overall design is still probably appealing to some, even if long bed.

[Linked Image from carphotos.cardomain.com]

My dad is a farmer and has owned dozens of pickups over the years, three at a time or so in recent years. Always standard cab, long bed (or flatbed). Doesn't need passenger space, does need bed space for dirty stuff including a tool box and fuel tank.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Standard cab are still highly used in commercial and delivery applications. Given the obnoxious cost of modern full size trucks, why would any entity like that pay for more truck then they need?

For private, and especially family type use, the crew cab really is where its at... If you want a bed and not an SUV.

I always thought that the short bed, single cab truck looked neat. We're at the the point in the economy where personal use vehicles are going to be financed (since the typical American buyer isnt actually rich enough to buy it outright) for "fun". So a single cab, short bed pickup for all those offroad trips that the usual suburbanite does, is appealing. Spoken as one, who bought their first vehicle (outright) as a single cab, short bed pickup, btw, back in '98. If the marketing folks can appeal to a broader set of consumers, of course they will.

I was only a tot, but I recall single cab, short bed pickups to be all the rage in the early 80's. Especially ones with upsized tires and light bars (KC lights, IIRC?). Now those folks who were in their teens and 20s back then are coming free of kids and having more disposable income, and they sure might want one of those trucks while gas is cheap... I dont think short beds are available much anymore with regular cabs, but that overall design is still probably appealing to some, even if long bed.

[Linked Image from carphotos.cardomain.com]

^^^^78/79 is the last year Ford made a good looking truck, I had a 78 Bronco that I wish I still had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Standard cab is just a 2 door pickup?

Yes sir, I guess some call them single or regular cabs.

I remember back around 2002 or 2003 my dad was looking to buy a truck. He didn't really care which brand he got; he just wanted a half-ton with a regular cab, short bed, and 4wd. He thought those were the best-looking trucks, and he was firmly against buying any extended cab or crew cabs. I went with him to several Ford, Dodge, and Chevy dealers and nobody had a truck like that on the lot. Shortly after, he got promoted at work and they gave him a company truck to commute in, so he never did buy a truck. I think of him every time I see a regular cab, short bed, 4wd truck though. RIP, Dad.

Originally Posted by brages
My dad is a farmer and has owned dozens of pickups over the years... Always standard cab, long bed (or flatbed). Doesn't need passenger space, does need bed space for dirty stuff including a tool box and fuel tank.
Yep, that's the most efficient configuration for people, including farmers, who need a pickup truck to be used as a truck. My dad had two of them while farming, a '55 Chevrolet and a '66 F-100, which my brother kept until only a couple of years ago.

I blame the death of the single cab truck on the GMT400. When those came out, none of them were single cab. All extended cabs. Fords and Dodges still sold tons of single cab trucks.

The standard cab configurations are rated to tow more than their extended and crew cab brethren. Not sure I caught the commercial, but if it was about towing and they threw out a towing capacity, that's probably why they showed a regular cab truck.

Is this the one you're talking about?

Originally Posted by Miller88
I blame the death of the single cab truck on the GMT400. When those came out, none of them were single cab. All extended cabs. Fords and Dodges still sold tons of single cab trucks.

Have to disagree-I've had two 6.2 diesel ones, a '92 C1500 & the '93 C3500 SRW 6.2/4L80E in my sig, guy down the street has a '95 C3500 350/NV4500 single cab-they exist & are MUCH less rust prone than the extended ones are.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
The standard cab configurations are rated to tow more than their extended and crew cab brethren. Not sure I caught the commercial, but if it was about towing and they threw out a towing capacity, that's probably why they showed a regular cab truck.

I saw this one, about cracked up when the driver said "Is there a trailer back there?"-like a 15K+ gooseneck wouldn't weigh ANYTHING down!

Originally Posted by cpayne5

Yes sir. I was so exited they showed a standard cab I didn't notice how ugly it is, what were they thinking with that front end.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
[
Yes sir. I was so exited they showed a standard cab I didn't notice how ugly it is, what were they thinking with that front end.

It looks like one of those Transformer toys that were all the rage. And why is the hood so much higher?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Yeah, that hit every branch falling out of the ugly tree. Look at the tiny little Chevy bowtie on the left side of the grill. That's different.

Owning 3 Chevy trucks (well, 2 trucks and a Colorado) I really wish I could disagree with you. But I can't with a straight face.

I still haven't figured out why they take an engine that fits in my 2002 Camaro and put it into an engine compartment so large you need ladders and scaffolding to work on it. Add a front end with the aerodynamics of a brick to complete the package.

But not everybody needs 4 door truck. My 2018 RAM 1500 reg cab is perfect for me. It has a really big and nice storage tray behind the seat. This past summer the wife and I took it to help move my Granddaughter, both suitcases and small a case fit perfectly behind the bench seat without moving the seat forward or tilting the seats forward.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Yeah, that hit every branch falling out of the ugly tree. Look at the tiny little Chevy bowtie on the left side of the grill. That's different.

Owning 3 Chevy trucks (well, 2 trucks and a Colorado) I really wish I could disagree with you. But I can't with a straight face.

I still haven't figured out why they take an engine that fits in my 2002 Camaro and put it into an engine compartment so large you need ladders and scaffolding to work on it. Add a front end with the aerodynamics of a brick to complete the package.

Cooling capacity. The grill needs to be large to fit the cooling system necessary to cool the engine and trans, when it's towing at it's maximum rated load, up a 6+% grade, on a 100+° F day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back