Nissan Titan any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Killer boat !!!! Sweet

What engine is in your boat ?

Thanks - 700HP V10 Viper engine marinized by Ilmor.

UD

IMG_1833.jpeg

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Killer boat !!!! Sweet

What engine is in your boat ?

Thanks - 700HP V10 Viper engine marinized by Ilmor.

UD

HOLY 💩 !!!!
That's a lot of Motor !
Proud for ya my friend ! That's sweet !

My titan get almost 100% towing duty.

the trans is super soild - Ive been yanking a 7500lb boat around since 09 through the 110+ dessert heat and hills.

You just cant overheat it which if you are careless can happen if one starts lugging it on hills - just rock eth box and watch trans temps plummet

manually shift from 5-4-3 in teh hills and the console version is super slick with easy gates allowing up and downshifting with no chance of going to 2nd accidentally.

the rear end needed more cooling and an aftermarket Stillen cover provided that- and as far as I know thats all Nissan changes was the actual cover, but mayne not - so far not a hint of any trouble from the engine trans,

I take better care than most because of my hard duty cycling of teh rig it gets regular drain and fills, great oil at between 5-7K, top line filters, oil and magnets everywhere I can get them.

I havent leaked it down but it still gets the same mileage as when new and doenst burn or leak a drop.

UD

Is this with factory oil/trans coolers? Is there a trans temp gauge?

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by super20dan
I also cringed when I had to replace the optional Michelin tires on my tundra. 1200$. had to replace at 50k not because wore out but dry rot from florida heat and sun

How OLD were the tires? I have several vehicles that the tires will age out (become hard and dry-rotted), long before they wear out.

I think I was about a grand when I did the LTX's on my truck, six years ago. Some tire they were, expensive, not nearly as good in snow as people claim, and they did dry rot. [I'm still bitter as you can tell.]

Big tires cost big money. It's good to think about that before buying a new vehicle, since so many come with crummy OEM tires. Go in with the eyes wide open.

Originally Posted by dfarr67

the trans is super soild - Ive been yanking a 7500lb boat around since 09 through the 110+ dessert heat and hills.

You just cant overheat it which if you are careless can happen if one starts lugging it on hills - just rock eth box and watch trans temps plummet

manually shift from 5-4-3 in teh hills and the console version is super slick with easy gates allowing up and downshifting with no chance of going to 2nd accidentally.

the rear end needed more cooling and an aftermarket Stillen cover provided that- and as far as I know thats all Nissan changes was the actual cover, but mayne not - so far not a hint of any trouble from the engine trans,

I take better care than most because of my hard duty cycling of teh rig it gets regular drain and fills, great oil at between 5-7K, top line filters, oil and magnets everywhere I can get them.

I havent leaked it down but it still gets the same mileage as when new and doenst burn or leak a drop.

UD

Yes they have factory oil and trans coolers. Not all earlier models had the trans temp gauge but many of them do have it including my 2013.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I also cringed when I had to replace the optional Michelin tires on my tundra. 1200$. had to replace at 50k not because wore out but dry rot from florida heat and sun

How OLD were the tires? I have several vehicles that the tires will age out (become hard and dry-rotted), long before they wear out.

tires were 10 years old had 2 blow outs in 1 month. got 4 new tires. tires after all the add ons and fees were 300$ each! got them at a goodyear dealer. its my business truck so I needed the tires right away. sams only had one in stock. Michelin LT tires 245 16 , next time I am getting the cheapest tires I can find as I only put 2000 miles a year on truck now.

They were well past the age most tire manufacturers recommend replacement due to age alone. Most recommend replacement due to age at 5-6 years.

UD

Yes the " big tow" option adds a larger trans/ oil cooler and temp gauge and higher rear end ratio -

That option give the crew cab 4x4 a towing rating of 9500 LB.

Pressing tow/ haul mode does not " automatically" lockout of 5th when towing though, but raises the upshift point.

UD

Last edited:
All 1st gen Titans have the same oil and trans coolers.
They even have a power steering fluid cooler.

The Big Tow trucks have 3.36 axle gears vs the standard 2.94 gears.

UD

Yes the " big tow" option adds a larger trans/ oil cooler and temp gauge and higher rear end ratio -

Pressing tow/ haul mode does not " automatically" lockout of 5th when towing though, but raises the upshift point.

UD

You can't pull the max tow capacity specs in a half ton. You will hit maximum payload (generally) FIRST. It's a game all the truck manufacturers pay with "towing capacity"

Don't know how many times I have repeated this.....................

Last edited:
my tundra came with the ltx tires as a package. I knew they were going to be really expencive to replace -that's why I stretched their life to 10 years when I should have replaced eailer. sadly the replacements are now 7 years old. there tires wear like iron and make the truck drive really well. next set will be cheapies

Originally Posted by CKN

UD

UD

You can't pull the max tow capacity specs in a half ton. You will hit maximum payload (generally) FIRST. It's a game all the truck manufacturers pay with "towing capacity"

Don't know how many times I have repeated this.....................

Dont see that anyone asked the question

It's up to the OP to manage his loads and stay within the vehicles limits.

Since he was asking about titans they are not all created equal and its relevant to inform him of what order spec it takes to get the factory max tow rating.

With J2807 it less of a game than it was before, but thats a different discussion.

UD

Last edited:
Dont recall anyone asking you the question.

It's up to the OP to manage his loads and stay within the vehicles limits.

Since he was asking about titans they are not all created equal and its relevant to inform him of what order spec it takes to get the factory max tow rating.

With J2807 it less of a game than it was before, but thats a different discussion.

No it's not. It's easy to compare truck to truck with J2807-but the "payload verses max towing" game is still there.

I don't tow seriously- don't do enough to feel comfortable either, mostly interested in local firewood and off road- but since I'm not ordering new, will keep an eye out for the relevant options. When towing serious like- I'll rent a U-haul 3/4 or 1 ton.

Would like to know more about the early differential issue and although 'fixed' with more fluid capacity, cooling, fluid type- what makes a diff run hotter in the first place? When breaking in a new gear set, it will run hot for a time until the gears are mated. I run TruTracs in both the chev and Toy- other than very warm, have not given me any trouble. Just seems to me that Nissan put a band aid on the issue- I guess it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

No it's not. It's easy to compare truck to truck with J2807-but the "payload verses max towing" game is still there.

Hence my reply " less" of a game.

UD

I don't tow seriously- don't do enough to feel comfortable either, mostly interested in local firewood and off road- but since I'm not ordering new, will keep an eye out for the relevant options. When towing serious like- I'll rent a U-haul 3/4 or 1 ton.

Would like to know more about the early differential issue and although 'fixed' with more fluid capacity, cooling, fluid type- what makes a diff run hotter in the first place? When breaking in a new gear set, it will run hot for a time until the gears are mated. I run TruTracs in both the chev and Toy- other than very warm, have not given me any trouble. Just seems to me that Nissan put a band aid on the issue- I guess it works.

The factory fluid capacity was never increased.
Early titans came from the factory with 80w90 conventional gear Lube.
In mid 2005 they changed the spec to synthetic 75w140 and added the finned cover. It helped but wasn't enough. The early trucks also had 2 spider gears.

08+ axles had some minor internal changes with the most significant one being the move to a 4 spider gear design. 08+ trucks don't have many rear axle worries.

TruTracs are Also available for the Titans and well a known upgrade that eliminates any prior durability problems.

That being said axle issues shouldn't be a big worry for 08+ trucks. My 2013 has seen its share of heavy towing and it isn't showing any signs of weakness at the 80,000 mile mark.

good info on eh details of the changes - thanks.

Ive got a 1st gen axle and Ive been towing heavy since day 1, so far no leaks or anything (knock on wood) but I dd put a stolen cover on that had a bit more capacity and better finning.

Back in the day I spent a ton of time on titntalk - most of the guys with axle problems were in 4x4 low - really working it hard - harder than even heavy towing use.

UD

Last edited:
Good to know- makes me feel better. Any issues I've had with diff's in the past were an automatic $1500.

As far as towing goes- still thinking Frontier or Taco are still in the mix.

Originally Posted by Anthony

The factory fluid capacity was never increased.
Early titans came from the factory with 80w90 conventional gear Lube.
In mid 2005 they changed the spec to synthetic 75w140 and added the finned cover. It helped but wasn't enough. The early trucks also had 2 spider gears.

08+ axles had some minor internal changes with the most significant one being the move to a 4 spider gear design. 08+ trucks don't have many rear axle worries.

TruTracs are Also available for the Titans and well a known upgrade that eliminates any prior durability problems.

That being said axle issues shouldn't be a big worry for 08+ trucks. My 2013 has seen its share of heavy towing and it isn't showing any signs of weakness at the 80,000 mile mark.
The Dana Super 44's used in the early Titans also had sintered spider gears which were brittle and subject to fracture with heavy shock loads. Installing a TruTrac has always been the best (and least expensive) fix.

Stopped and had a chat with my local mech shop owner- it was enlightening. A big part of the economy here is the oil patch with lots of contractors running around the backwood logging/oil/gas access roads- pickup trucks are abused and pretty much disposable due to hard use and high mileage. He has serviced a few of these trucks and his comments were:

- due to being beat on- the suspension is weak where Nissan used pressed metal instead of forged steel/alum and most guys step back into the Toyota's. But- with my regular driving, this would likely not be an issue if I bought a lightly used truck.
- due to Nissan's emissions programing, if there is any emission issue, the truck will not engage 4x4.

Other than that he rates the truck good to go.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple newer models stranded on the shoulder..something with the rear wheels locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back