Larger filter for 19 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I've been searching around for information on a larger filter for my 19 Ram. I currently use the suggest size Fram Ultra, but I was wondering if there is something similar that has a bit more capacity to it and fits in the limited space available?

I have no input as far as what filter is larger but I'd love to know what benefit you think you're going to accomplish by using a larger filter.

? Fram Ultra is a 20K filter.

A new vehicle is 7.5K, 10K OCI?

Are you using the filter for (2) OCs; if not, why need a higher capacity filter when the one you're using is rated for twice what most people use it for....

JMO

Originally Posted by Schwifty
Hey all,

I've been searching around for information on a larger filter for my 19 Ram. I currently use the suggest size Fram Ultra, but I was wondering if there is something similar that has a bit more capacity to it and fits in the limited space available?

Assuming your's is the same as my 13 Ram Hemi, I am currently using a Fram TG2. I believe it is the biggest filter available for this application and I would assume, without looking, that an Ultra will also come in this size as well.
Check out the Fram filter site. Tells you/shows you all the filters made for your vehicle(s).
https://www.fram.com/parts-search/

Last edited:
Summit, Amsoil, etc all sell remote filter kits and you can then use whatever size you want or even a dual filter setup.

Just a FYI, in the rare event you have a oil filter failure that causes damage, the dealership regardless if using a non Mopar filter is going to defer you the filter manufacturer. The aftermarket filter manufacturer will have grounds to deny you their warranty for using a filter that they do not catalog for your application.

Very few vehicles have any benefit from going oversize on the filter other than a placebo affect the owner may think having a few ounces more of oil running around the sump.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Just a FYI, in the rare event you have a oil filter failure that causes damage, the dealership regardless if using a non Mopar filter is going to defer you the filter manufacturer. The aftermarket filter manufacturer will have grounds to deny you their warranty for using a filter that they do not catalog for your application.

Very few vehicles have any benefit from going oversize on the filter other than a placebo affect the owner may think having a few ounces more of oil running around the sump.

I've thought of this and have decided to stick with the factory spec Fram Ultra. I guess more isnt always better...

I run oversize filters on all three of my vehicles, 83 Silverado, 08 Malibu LTZ and 17 Regal GS 2.0T, get an extra half to one qt of extra oil in the sump and with the larger filter more filter surface to clean the oil, and yeah, sleep better at night.
lol.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
I run oversize filters on all three of my vehicles, 83 Silverado, 08 Malibu LTZ and 17 Regal GS 2.0T, get an extra half to one qt of extra oil in the sump and with the larger filter more filter surface to clean the oil, and yeah, sleep better at night.
lol.gif
cheers3.gif

Well this was the norm along with a solid oil cooler on my boosted builds. I suppose it isnt necessary on "regular" vehicles. But I suppose I like the though of having more surface area for filtering and a bit more oil capacity as you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back