3 Fram Ultra's Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are cut open pics of the latest 3 Fram Ultra oil filters from 3 of our vehicles.

#1) XG8A - 2007 4.0L gas Toy w/196k miles - 11.5k miles in 11 mths - oil Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40
[Linked Image]

#2) 2012 3.7L gas MKX w/115k miles - 9.5k miles in 8 mths - oil Mobil 1 EP 0w20
[Linked Image]

#3) 2007 6.2L gas Yukon w/149k miles - 7.8k miles in 5 mths - oil Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the c&p and what a nice list of toys !!!

96 Prevost XL40 12.7
51 Chevy 5w PU Resto 5.3
92 TopSportsman Firebird w/604
241" 4link Dragster w/565
83 Glasair! TD
90 Ez-Go 2-cysle GC

Thanks for showing the media spread out with oil drained off well enough for us to see what it captured. That's much more interesting than multiple views of it intact and still drooling excess oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Thanks for showing the media spread out with oil drained off well enough for us to see what it captured. That's much more interesting than multiple views of it intact and still drooling excess oil.

I'll have to do that with the XG2 that's on my MGM now when I change it-in another 15,000 miles (has 7500 so far)!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Looks like excellent filtering performance there, thanks for the C&P
thumbsup2.gif

What do you base your opinion on that the filter performance was excellent? Compared to what? It appears the filter media is still intact, at least the small portion seen in the pics. That is good start. The damage along the edges appear to be caused by removal of the media. No obvious large metal particulates or other hard contaminants, which is a good sign the engine is not about to throw a rod or spin a bearing. Looks like it captured some of the larger oxidized oil molecules and carbon as shown in the crevices on two pics. Agree with CR94 that the pics are better than showing an intact filter dripping with oil.

Help me understand how to judge the excellent performance of these filters by a single picture? I have used Fram for many years, even when an army of DIYrs on youtube, self proclaimed experts, repeatedly condemned Fram for not using metal end caps.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
I have used Fram for many years, even when an army of DIYrs on youtube, self proclaimed experts, repeatedly condemned Fram for not using metal end caps.

There are a lot of people on YouTube that don't know what they are talking about 99% of the time.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
It's catching debris, looks like it could have caught a lot more!

Yep, I recall that contaminant holding capacity for the depth media is one of the main selling points touted by MotorKing (Jay) when he was active on here and working for FRAM. Though it would appear that much of what we can see, which is primarily carbonaceous material, is still sitting on the top layer. Hard to gauge though just based on pictures. This is a filter that is 99% efficient at 20 microns and 94% at 10 microns per Jay, so it really does offer some excellent filtration performance, I believe best in class for a spin-on full-flow.

One of the things I've noticed with the synthetic media filters is that the sediment tends to stay on/in the media versus ending up in the bottom of the can like with a cellulose filter. So not only do you get a higher level of filtration performance, but the retention of contaminants is better, which, IMHO, these pictures evidence to some degree.

Yes. Thank You!!! Maybe this will start a better way to really show what the media looks like.
cheers3.gif

I put my old elements in baggies and save them. Why?? Why not? I guess so I can compare one to another down the road if I want.

The digital camera over exposed the first picture, causing it to be light/white. I assure you it's the same color as the others.

I hang the element vertically for a week and let gravity do its thing, then it's easy to see what is what. The Toyota and the Yukon are higher mileage vehicles. I ran Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 in both and it looks to me like its cleaning things up internally a little. I am also running a bypass filter setup on both the Toyota and Yukon that utilizes a remote mounted Amsoil EaBP90 filter. This increases the sump capacity by about 3/4 of a qt.

I always run synthetic oil, I've done 11 UOA on the Toyota 4.0L over the last 11 yrs. History has proven it's a great engine, and it's easy on oil. It doesn't consume any. I have always extended the oil change intervals from the factory recommended 7.5k miles, out to between 10k and 18k miles, depending on the oil I'm using.

The Yukon I bought used wo/mx records 15 mths ago. Its 380 hp gas 6.2L all aluminum L92. It doesn't have the AFM/DOD system. It's hard on oil. I've done 2 UOA on it so far. About as far as I'm willing to take the OCI w/this oil is 8k miles. The digital information center(DIC) indicated 20% remaining at the first 8k mile change, and 30% remaining at the second. It doesn't consume any oil either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jetman
I hang the element vertically for a week and let gravity do its thing, then it's easy to see what is what.

I've been doing the "paper towel wick trick" method for years ... faster and better removal of oil from the media than hanging them. Makes cutting the media off the center tube less messy too.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... I've been doing the "paper towel wick trick" method for years ... faster and better removal of oil from the media than hanging them. ...
I've done similar wicking-out for 3+ years, although not using rubber bands. This technique is potentially much more thorough than the hanging method (especially if the media isn't pulled out before hanging), but I wouldn't call it fast.

... I've been doing the "paper towel wick trick" method for years ... faster and better removal of oil from the media than hanging them. ...
I've done similar wicking-out for 3+ years, although not using rubber bands. This technique is potentially much more thorough than the hanging method (especially if the media isn't pulled out before hanging), but I wouldn't call it fast.

Faster than hanging cut out media ... but still not "fast" (relative term here). Using the paper towel wick trick takes most oil out of the media in 24 hours. Be sure to use 4 or 5 layers of very absorbent paper towels so it holds more wicked oil. If you really want to dry out the media, change the paper towels after a day and let it wick another day with fresh paper towels.

Tearing the glued on media away from the metal ends is a messy pain, then I hang it.

I'm retired, so I'm not in a hurry. I put it in the vise and go take a nap or something
coffee2.gif
21.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can just fold the media after cutting it and use the vise you have on the background to squeeze the remaining oil out of the media....particles will remain on the filter media to see - if any.

I have used Fram for many years, even when an army of DIYrs on youtube, self proclaimed experts, repeatedly condemned Fram for not using metal end caps.

There are a lot of people on YouTube that don't know what they are talking about 99% of the time.

Jay, aka MotorKing, self proclaimed youtube video mechanic, Fram rep, was forced to admit the GM Oil Filter study that cost millions, was worthless, after citing it for years on youtube and this forum. Where is the independent filter testing with Soutwest Labs he promised?

Sooooooo .... We can infer that YT has a 99% efficiency rating at illuminating idiots?
grin.gif
lol.gif

Sorry Zee - couldn't resist.

As to the filters the OP posted; they look exactly like what'd I'd expect. Well made, no obvious failure points and generally sound. Typical Ultra C&P.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back