Best ear plugs for concerts,clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Anyone here go to concerts and or clubs on a regular basis? If so,what are the best ear plugs to use?

Ear plugs at concerts? Why? Don't you go there to LISTEN to the music? That's kinda like turning on your radio but having the volume on mute. What's the point?

To avoid damaging your hearing if you sit too close to the loudspeakers.

Then don't sit too close to the loudspeakers.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Pew
Not concerts or clubs, but we were required to buy and wear the Surefire EP4s for the mk153 SMAW shoots during training. They worked but they sure don't stop the concussive blast!

Interesting hear protection. Question, did you use them with the plugs inserted in the center or open?

Anyone here go to concerts and or clubs on a regular basis? If so,what are the best ear plugs to use?

Ear plugs at concerts? Why? Don't you go there to LISTEN to the music? That's kinda like turning on your radio but having the volume on mute. What's the point?

It's more like listening to a radio with a broken volume knob, and it's stuck at maximum volume. So you find an alternate way to reduce the volume hitting your ears.

Concerts are loud enough that you can still hear the music perfectly fine even with earplugs in.

Originally Posted by exranger06

It's more like listening to a radio with a broken volume knob, and it's stuck at maximum volume. So you find an alternate way to reduce the volume hitting your ears.

Concerts are loud enough that you can still hear the music perfectly fine even with earplugs in.

Actually, I've found that these ear plugs from menards are very comfortable. The noise reduction is fair- fine for outdoor shooting but if you are going to go to an indoors range best watch out for ANY rifles.

You should try high fidelity earplugs that reduce volume but maintain fidelity. They start at around $15.

NONE! Do like I did at 18. Stand right next to the stage speakers!
J/K! I was a sound tech for a few local bands when I was 18-19, before going into the service. Yeah, it was loud, but we didn't believe in headphones and ear plugs back in the 80's.

I've been using the foam earplugs, (roll them up, stick them in your ears and let them expand) since the 80's. Motorcycles, loud concerts, loud trucks, loud race vehicles, blown fuel cars, and I still have very good hearing for my age. At least according to an audiologist. I always have a pair of earplugs with me.

Oh you'll appreciate it at some point in later life I PROMISE. No way around it..........

Originally Posted by Driz

Oh you'll appreciate it at some point in later life I PROMISE. No way around it..........

If it's a loud concert (are there quiet rock ones?) then definitely. I've tried to protect my ears over the years but I am starting to notice the loss. I keep asking people to repeat what they are saying (doc's office did a quick test and said I was fine, the problem must be in my head).

Heh, I leave the radio on in my car and usually drive with the volume set to zero. Easier than figure out the power button on one of them (some fancy aftermarket system).

Originally Posted by supton
but I am starting to notice the loss. I keep asking people to repeat what they are saying (doc's office did a quick test and said I was fine, the problem must be in my head).

Same here.

It's usually my wife that has to repeat things to me multiple times. I think the term is "selective hearing." The older I get, the more selective it becomes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Patman
I have been to a ton of heavy metal concerts in my life (some of them had my ears still ringing two days later!), and I listen to my music loud in the car and loud on my headphones all day at work, but I've been extremely lucky that I still have amazing hearing at age 50. In fact, there is a small portable vacuum that we have at our house that emits this high pitched sound when it's charging and I'm the only one in my house who can actually hear it.

Do you have tinnitus? I'm half deaf due to metal concerts and clubs during youth but can hear plasma TVs or CRTs when they are on.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by supton
but I am starting to notice the loss. I keep asking people to repeat what they are saying (doc's office did a quick test and said I was fine, the problem must be in my head).

Same here.

It's usually my wife that has to repeat things to me multiple times. I think the term is "selective hearing." The older I get, the more selective it becomes.
smile.gif

Ya, I think that is definitely going on too.
smile.gif

Actually I think it's worse than that, something going on, and I suspect not for the good. Age has not been good to me... I've been listening to more music lately, and while I am careful to keep it turned down to the point that I can still have a conversation even with my earbuds in and the music playing, there's something amiss. I long ago got into the habit of not listening to music while driving, as I noticed my hearing would seem to be off after a long drive; I still do that today. I downloaded an app onto my phone to measure noise level and verified that my car isn't too bad on the highway, about 70dB (if a completely uncalibrated result is to be trusted). I have not tried to play music to see how loud I need to have it at.

A friend recommended Alpine MusicSafe plug that weren't bad, but I ended up with Earasers. For me the Earasers were more comfortable didn't sound quite as muffled.
The first big test was right up against a speaker at an Iron Maidens concert and they performed well.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Shooting plugs block overall sound. Concert plugs work to block instrument and voice range decibels. I have one pair-each, depending on activity.

Would shooting plugs block the absolute most sound? That's what I'm looking to do.

Also am looking for some that I can just walk into a store and buy vs ordering online.

The earplugs I wear at work say "not suitable for use around firearms or percussive sound" or something like that, but they work good enough. They are rated for 32 or 33 NRR. There is also a chart with how well they performed in each frequency range... I'll snap a picture for you when I get to work later.

Has anyone ever used mineral oil or baby oil on the ear plugs to help them go into your ear canal more effectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back