castrol 5w30 c3 for an LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am deciding what to use in my freshly rebuilt 20 year old LS1. The Castrol 5W30 C3 has a good list of standards, but it's supposedly meant for diesels. I can't find a 5W30 with better "specs" on paper, except maybe Mobil 1 ESP (is that right?) which only comes in quarts so it's ridiculously expensive. Plus Walmart carries it. I don't want to use an Xw40, since that's what I was using before the rebuild and it's slightly possible that could be the cause of some cylinder wear it had (there's no other likely explanation), and also the original owner's manual specifically says not to use a 40 weight. So looking for opinions on whether the Castrol C3 would be a good choice.

Being that its rated for VW 502, that oil should work just fine for your LS1. I'm thinking the cause for upper cylinder wear you saw
has something due to the air filtration system. Dirty air made its way into the engine somehow at some point.

Originally Posted by neo3
I don't want to use an Xw40, since that's what I was using before the rebuild and it's slightly possible that could be the cause of some cylinder wear it had (there's no other likely explanation), and also the original owner's manual specifically says not to use a 40 weight.

You can choose not to use a 40wt, that's fine, but your engine doesn't know if it's got a 40 wt in it, unless you are trying to start it in Alaska in January. In Tucson, where the average low in the "winter" months is +40*F, you could use it year round without issue. I agree with skyactiv, dirt ingress is a much more likely culprit for cylinder wear than oil weight ever would be. But, oil choice is an extremely emotionally charged issue, so use what makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Any SN/SN+ oil on the shelves at Walmart will provide sufficient protection for an LS engine, unless you had it built with a stroker, and different clearances, and yada yada... you get the drift. I'd go to the section of shelving with the synthetics on it, pick whatever color or price tickled my fancy in 5W30, and go with that. But that's me.

I am deciding what to use in my freshly rebuilt 20 year old LS1. The Castrol 5W30 C3 has a good list of standards, but it's supposedly meant for diesels. I can't find a 5W30 with better "specs" on paper, except maybe Mobil 1 ESP (is that right?) which only comes in quarts so it's ridiculously expensive. Plus Walmart carries it. I don't want to use an Xw40, since that's what I was using before the rebuild and it's slightly possible that could be the cause of some cylinder wear it had (there's no other likely explanation), and also the original owner's manual specifically says not to use a 40 weight. So looking for opinions on whether the Castrol C3 would be a good choice.

Can you post that language from the owner's manual? Or maybe a picture of the page.

It is not diesel oil, it is Lower-SAPS oil. In Europe gasoline engines use C3 oils since 2009. US could not since gas had higher sulfur levels, but that is not the case.
That being said, ultimate Castrol oil is this:
Castrol Edge 0W30

Originally Posted by kschachn

Can you post that language from the owner's manual? Or maybe a picture of the page.

Well my recollection of that was faulty, it actually says "Do not use other viscosity oils, such as SAE 20W-50". It says 10W30 is OK for temps over 0 F, but "SAE 5W30 is best for your vehicle". Of course this is all based on oil technology from 20 years ago.

Dexos2 and/or ACEA A3 works well in my experience on/off the track with an LS3. Low SAPs nice for cleaner exhaust.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Well my recollection of that was faulty, it actually says "Do not use other viscosity oils, such as SAE 20W-50". It says 10W30 is OK for temps over 0 F, but "SAE 5W30 is best for your vehicle". Of course this is all based on oil technology from 20 years ago.

C3 would be heavy W30 oils. What GM had in mind is thinner 5W30 oils.
Still, there is no problem using heavy W30 (ACEA A3 or C3) or thinner W40 (usually all ACEA A3 and C3 W40 oils are on thinner side, max. 14.2cst).
However, it is not only thickness. Oils carrying European approvals have lower NOACK, theya re stay in grade, more stringent oxidation and deposit requirements.

Also related to this, I noticed (on walmart.com) that Castrol actually has two different 5W30 C3 versions, they're both called "Advanced Full Synthetic", in a black bottle, both say Dexos 2, but the graphics are different, and one says "Fluid Titanium Technology", the other says "Strength for Maximum Perfornance" (no mention of titanium). They're the exact same price. Which is "better"?

Last edited:
Whichever one gives you a warm tingly feeling over a larger portion of your body. If that warm tingly feeling is because you've consumed some of said product, you should call Poison Control immediately.

No offense, but it seems you've already made up your mind and are just looking for confirmation. Since you're ignoring every piece of advice given so far, it looks like you may want to just pull straws to solidify your pick. Sorry.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Whichever one gives you a warm tingly feeling over a larger portion of your body. If that warm tingly feeling is because you've consumed some of said product, you should call Poison Control immediately.

No offense, but it seems you've already made up your mind and are just looking for confirmation. Since you're ignoring every piece of advice given so far, it looks like you may want to just pull straws to solidify your pick. Sorry.

Huh? I asked a simple question about the difference between versions of the same product. And which advice did I "ignore"? If you have no useful info to contribute, why did you reply?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Huh? I asked a simple question about the difference between versions of the same product. And which advice did I "ignore"? If you have no useful info to contribute, why did you reply?

Again, go with Castrol 0W30.

Also related to this, I noticed (on walmart.com) that Castrol actually has two different 5W30 C3 versions, they're both called "Advanced Full Synthetic", in a black bottle, both say Dexos 2, but the graphics are different, and one says "Fluid Titanium Technology", the other says "Strength for Maximum Perfornance" (no mention of titanium). They're the exact same price. Which is "better"?

Pick FST for its Titanium content that provides friction reduction and film strength .

Originally Posted by edyvw

I would go with that except it only comes in quarts as far as I can find (on amazon), ends up costing about 50% more vs the C3 which I can get from walmart.com and pick up locally. Still more than what I'm used to spending on an oil change.

Last edited:

I would go with that except it only comes in quarts as far as I can find (on amazon), ends up costing about 50% more vs the C3 which I can get from walmart.com and pick up locally. Still more than what I'm used to spending on an oil change.

I am aware of that. I am just saying which one is the best.
On that note, if Wal Mart is an option, I would go with Castrol 0W40. It is better oil than Castrol 5W30 C3.

I am aware of that. I am just saying which one is the best.
On that note, if Wal Mart is an option, I would go with Castrol 0W40. It is better oil than Castrol 5W30 C3.

Yeah I'm going to go with that since I can pick it up in person, ordered the 5W30 C3 but they sent the wrong one.

Still would like to know what the deal is with Castrol having two different products where the only difference is one has titanium and the other doesn't, at the same price. This is the case with the 5W30 C3, and I believe it's the same with the 0W40, or maybe it was the 5W40. Are they just selling off older versions from before they started marketing titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back