What is a bang for the buck Anti Virus these days?

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Not Windows Defender.... unless you like getting ransomware on a updated system!

Please provide evidence of this, Vern.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Malwarebytes and Avast for me. Had Norton, always seemed to take up too many resources. Used AVG Free for a while, but they changed something and it became a huge resource hog.

I use Defender and have found out in 2019 that Panda offers the fastest surfing, free antivirus. 2nd Place belonged to Avira Free.
I've tried them-all in the past 10 years. Even tried each one twice over the years. The fastest paid Antivirus I found was Eset. But just their basic one, nothing complex that offers A-Z Protection. Just Eset basic antivirus.

Last edited:
Windows Defender might be the only antivirus that won't interrupt / interfere, when an outsider antivirus download / software is loaded. It will reactivate itself when trouble or uninstalls of outsider antivirus programs occur.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Windows Defender might be the only antivirus that won't interrupt / interfere, when an outsider antivirus download / software is loaded. It will reactivate itself when trouble or uninstalls of outsider antivirus programs occur.

ESET in no way interferes with Microsoft's built-in protection; it integrates perfectly. This is from experience on several hundred, if not more than a thousand systems.

I never said it would.

What were you trying to say?

Was the reader supposed to infer that Defender, which you don't have a choice as to whether it is present or not, doesn't have an issue with another AV installed alongside it, unlike, if say you were running an OS that didn't have integrated AV (like say Windows XP) and installed two AV's alongside each other, which also doesn't necessary mean there will be a negative interaction?

It just seems like a wholly unnecessary statement, since one lacks the ability to remove Defender and every AV on the market is designed to function properly with it. It would be unwise (and unnecessary) to install ESET + Kaspersky for example, but I don't recall seeing anyone advocating that. And in the case of Windows 10, then you'd have 3x AV's including Defender
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I never said it would.

What were you trying to say?

Sounds like you are not familiar with how Windows Defender stays in the background inactive, when a 3rd Party antivirus is downloaded. Then should trouble with the 3rd party antivirus occurs and the antivirus software suddenly becomes disabled, attacked or accidentally uninstalled, there's nothing more for the computer owner to do, for Windows Defender instantly becomes active again and the computer is safe-guarded once again.

That's what I said, using different words. I am speaking on behalf of my Dell Desktop, not any cellphone app.
Happy New Year Overkill

Last edited:
Sounds like you are not familiar with how Windows Defender stays in the background inactive, when a 3rd Party antivirus is downloaded.

I'm quite familiar with how Defender operates, I've been doing IT for more than 20 years, I was questioning the language you used when attempting to describe what you felt was necessary to point out with respect to paralleled AV installs interacting, despite the persistent presence of Defender on Windows 10 and the fact that all AV's on the market are designed to integrated with WSC+Defender. I was trying to suss out what exactly it was that you were trying to say with respect to "interference" because it obviously wasn't clear and seemed unnecessary.

Then should trouble with the 3rd party antivirus occurs and the antivirus software suddenly becomes disabled, attacked or accidentally uninstalled, there's nothing more for the computer owner to do, for Windows Defender instantly becomes active again and the computer is safe-guarded once again.

That sounds great in theory, but it often doesn't pan out that way. Malware can target and disable Defender from becoming re-enabled before buggering up the 3rd party AV installed rendering a system completely defenceless.

That's what I said, using different words.

You still haven't addressed the "interference" statement. Lots of folks parallel MWB with an AV on 10, both RTP products. Interactions between AV products isn't a given, though paralleling installs is typically not advisable. The behaviour of Defender is due to its persistent install status and the fact that all 3rd party AV's are designed to integrate with WSC, which Defender plugs into.

I am speaking on behalf of my Dell Desktop, not any cellphone app.

I honestly have no idea what you are saying here
21.gif
Nobody has brought up cell phone apps until you just did.

You can pay a little or a lot for the exact same product. Sign up for free promotion emails from Newegg and keep your eyes peeled for bargains. I bought kaspersky internet security (1 year, 3 seats) for ~$15. Their "normal" price is upwards of $70 for the same thing. I've seen them promote it for other prices as well.

Depending on the maker's policy, you may be able to purchase 2 keys at a good price, install and activate and then renew with the second key. Most companies now tie the activation date to the first activation on the key - if you have 3 seats, all installs with that key will expire based on the first install (so you can't "stack" them). EESET, Kapersky, and Bitdefender have this type of policy.

Most AV products are adequate, including WD. Paid products allow for more or easier customization. A good website is malwaretips.com (kind of a BITOG for security software).

Downloaded Bitdefender Total Security on my new to me Dell Optiplex. Immediately it disabled Windows Defender when I downloaded it. Computer is running smoothly and fast so far. I read all feedback on this thread I created and thanks for all your advice BITOG.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Defender is fine, been using that for years. Every once in a while I install the free Malewarebytes and it doesn't really find anything. You can buy a Windows 10 Pro key online in the $10 range, but I think with those, you have to install it from scratch, can't just add the key like a real Pro.

Malwarebytes, as reviewed by some pros, is not very good at detecting malware but is good at removing it. I dunno, but I trust the "experts" opinions.

Originally Posted by Touring5
You can pay a little or a lot for the exact same product. Sign up for free promotion emails from Newegg and keep your eyes peeled for bargains. I bought kaspersky internet security (1 year, 3 seats) for ~$15. Their "normal" price is upwards of $70 for the same thing. I've seen them promote it for other prices as well.

Depending on the maker's policy, you may be able to purchase 2 keys at a good price, install and activate and then renew with the second key. Most companies now tie the activation date to the first activation on the key - if you have 3 seats, all installs with that key will expire based on the first install (so you can't "stack" them). EESET, Kapersky, and Bitdefender have this type of policy.

Most AV products are adequate, including WD. Paid products allow for more or easier customization. A good website is malwaretips.com (kind of a BITOG for security software).

When I downloaded them, free Butdefender was over 500MB and Kaspersky was a svelte 181MB . No thanks! Uninstalled both. Installed free ESET at 50MB.

I am surprised to see Windows Defender score so well. It used to be mediocre.

I got a great deal on Bitdefender Total Security for 5 computers.

Originally Posted by willbur
Malwarebytes, as reviewed by some pros, is not very good at detecting malware but is good at removing it. I dunno, but I trust the "experts" opinions.
How can it remove something which it cannot detect?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

My takeaway from that comment seemed to be that it implied that MWB's RTP performance isn't all that good, but it is good at removing things found with a manual scan
21.gif

Good question. I guess the malware infects the machine after its installed so that changes are made in settings, etc and it becomes detectable?

Good question. I guess the malware infects the machine after its installed so that changes are made in settings, etc and it becomes detectable?

I like to do a full scan after booting up in Safe Mode once and awhile.

Back