2014 Silverado, 5.3, 0W-20, PP, 5700 miles, 27%OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Silverado, 5.3. Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, 5700 mile interval with WIX WL10255XP filter. Oil in service for 9 months. 27% OLM 26k miles on the truck now.

Significant amount of towing over 5k lbs and daily trips are 12 miles each. Seems like the 12 mile trips on the previous changes do not allow the truck to warm up and the oil reeks of fuel (which is why I sent in the original sample in 2018.

oil analysis.PNG

Originally Posted by DrDanger
Iron is not that bad. Copper is a bit high though. Wonder what sort of oil would be best for this scenario.

What is considered normal iron for these motors ?

Originally Posted by DrDanger
Iron is not that bad. Copper is a bit high though. Wonder what sort of oil would be best for this scenario.

I just bought some RGT with the Autozone clearance. Be interesting to see how it does.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Duh, that was from the 2018 sample.
slick missed today's post where our OP claims his oil reeks of fuel.
Originally Posted by Engineer2
...and the oil reeks of fuel.

Originally Posted by splinter
Originally Posted by Slick17601
Duh, that was from the 2018 sample.
slick missed today's post where our OP claims his oil reeks of fuel.
...and the oil reeks of fuel.

You quoted a comment from the 2018 analysis. The most current analysis shows minimal fuel dillution.

I think high iron is normal on these engines, but mine seems a little higher than average. Also found this when checking the air filter this weekend, so this is fine ...‚

20200118_163505.jpg

20200118_163519.jpg

20200118_163433.jpg

I have two DI 5.3's, one non DI turbo, and two non DI engines - one of the non DI' is all that will smell of gasoline.
Took that one to the dealer and it tested fine.

I think high iron is normal on these engines, but mine seems a little higher than average. Also found this when checking the air filter this weekend, so this is fine ...‚

WTH?? Can't say I've seen that before? Any chance oil got spilled inside your air box?

Looking forward to reading some more educated replies.

Originally Posted by irv

WTH?? Can't say I've seen that before? Any chance oil got spilled inside your air box?

I've owned the truck since day one and this is the first time the airbox has been opened. Oil is running back out the intake tube, I assume the resonator has a fair amount in it also. Have to take it to the dealer for a recall so this will be interesting.

Originally Posted by irv

5.7 HEMI's on the Durango/Grand Cherokee are also known to dump oil onto the air filter if you fill the oil up too fast, though I'm not sure if it also affects the trucks and cars. The breather hose is attached right to where you dump oil in... pour too fast, it backs up and goes down the hose into your air filter.

You're not alone. I have a 2016 with the 5.3 and it did the same thing to me. What was strange is the oil was very clean in the tube and on the filter but the oil in the engine had already turned black. So I'm wondering if it got in there when I filled it due to a simular problem to the hemi??

Originally Posted by YoungEngineer
You're not alone. I have a 2016 with the 5.3 and it did the same thing to me. What was strange is the oil was very clean in the tube and on the filter but the oil in the engine had already turned black. So I'm wondering if it got in there when I filled it due to a simular problem to the hemi??

The oil does look pretty clean. I'm going to have to take look at how things are routed.

Originally Posted by irv

I've owned the truck since day one and this is the first time the airbox has been opened. Oil is running back out the intake tube, I assume the resonator has a fair amount in it also. Have to take it to the dealer for a recall so this will be interesting.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by irv

5.7 HEMI's on the Durango/Grand Cherokee are also known to dump oil onto the air filter if you fill the oil up too fast, though I'm not sure if it also affects the trucks and cars. The breather hose is attached right to where you dump oil in... pour too fast, it backs up and goes down the hose into your air filter.

I visit more forums than this one and like I said, this is the first time I am hearing of this.

I guess all Hemi's aren't the same when it comes air duct routing as I don't see how this could possibly happen with mine. I do my own oil changes and I use a funnel and of course you can only pour so fast before the funnel fills but I honestly don't see how I could get oil in mine even if I was able to pour much faster.

Hemi2.jpg

Hemi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back