Dry Gas in exteme cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
I think much of the fear comes from a bad experience when the OEM's did not adjust quickly … and even then more issues on the marine side or OPE (the two I have experienced)
I have a smaller skiff these days and only used maybe 5 times a year … so I spurge for E0 that's a buck more than regular but is also 92 octane and the motor runs great. I just add Techron Marine multi purpose …

Yamaha had issues with hoses … My dealer tossed their hoses for a couple years and used Evinrude hose until he was satisfied his make started to source the same hose.

West Marine recommends the use of ethanol in gasoline. They note that all fuels will need to be treated anyways if not used.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths
MYTH: Ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided.

TRUTH: Ethanol blended fuels (E10) are common throughout much of the United States. After the transition period from non-ethanol fuel, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel, as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system "dry". For over a decade, marine engines have been engineered to handle E10 gasoline. However, all types of fuels should be treated if they won't be used in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Plus most places sell Methanol DG which is a fuel system killer.
If It doesnt say Isopropanol dont go near it.

How is methanol a fuel system killer? When developing E10 I believe they were considering methanol as the additive.

Methanol is highly corrosive - especially to aluminum. Its use as a fuel additive requires tons of corrosion inhibitors added. I remember older owners manuals (late 80s maybe) noting that they allowed anything up to 10% ethanol, 15% MTBE, or 5% methanol (but only with adequate corrosion inhibitors). By the time I got my next car (a 1995 model) the owner's manual said to avoid methanol. I think after a while they figured out that it wasn't working in practice.

Ethanol as a fuel additive has been around since at least the 70s. I remember the ADM commercials talking about "gasohol".

I guess methanol can work. For the longest time the Indy 500 and their related series used methanol, but obviously they designed around it. The thing that was always freaky about it was that if there was a fire they burned clear and it made it difficult to figure out where to put out the fire. And the toxicity is pretty high. Ethanol or MTBE fumes are one thing, but methanol fumes can be very dangerous. And as much as we railed about MTBE, there was never a serious problem with its toxicity, which was pretty mild. The problem with MTBE was that it was miscible with water and when a tiny amount got into water supplies it gave it a weird turpentine like taste.

The clear burning fire issue is not limited to methanol. This is why we have E85 and not E100. The 15% gasoline is added to make fires visible.

Originally Posted by spasm3
That is cool! How do you construct the can? Is hole size critical? What do you use to make consistent holes? Drill bit?

They are cool!
i think I used a finish nail

I don't remember who's blueprint I followed - there are tons of how-to on youtube.
Wife was hiking the Appalachian Trail bottom to top so she needed to boil freeze dryed food.

This would bring a couple cups of water to a boil with an oz of alky fill.
She even has a Titanium frypan and cups!

If you make it right it will have a nice blue flame like a gas burner.

Drygas from the dollar store works good.

Here is any easy build, but doesnt show the burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdnBHb09iI

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by spasm3
That is cool! How do you construct the can? Is hole size critical? What do you use to make consistent holes? Drill bit?

They are cool!
i think I used a finish nail

I don't remember who's blueprint I followed - there are tons of how-to on youtube.
Wife was hiking the Appalachian Trail bottom to top so she needed to boil freeze dryed food.

This would bring a couple cups of water to a boil with an oz of alky fill.
She even has a Titanium frypan and cups!

If you make it right it will have a nice blue flame like a gas burner.

Drygas from the dollar store works good.

Here is any easy build, but doesnt show the burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdnBHb09iI

I prefer butane/propare stoves. There's a lot more energy content but obviously the fuel is more expensive. For just boiling water, there's probably nothing better than JetBoil but man that's pricey. They also claim that only their fuel canisters were adequate, even though they used a standard Lindal connector.

Also - I realize that methanol doesn't burn clear, but rather a pale blue. And in daylight racing where there's a ton of risk of fires, that made it very difficult to figure out what was on fire because it just didn't show up. I guess it's kind of nice to know exactly where the fire is when aiming an extinguisher.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths
MYTH: Ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided.

TRUTH: Ethanol blended fuels (E10) are common throughout much of the United States. After the transition period from non-ethanol fuel, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel, as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system "dry". For over a decade, marine engines have been engineered to handle E10 gasoline. However, all types of fuels should be treated if they won't be used in a few weeks.

The "TRUTH" only addresses one side of the story and not the real reason for the "MYTH". E10 is bad in marine environments because of storage problems and the phase separation that occurs. Otherwise, E10 is good for operational use.

Originally Posted by Kestas
The "TRUTH" only addresses one side of the story and not the real reason for the "MYTH". E10 is bad in marine environments because of storage problems and the phase separation that occurs. Otherwise, E10 is good for operational use.

They note that in the rest of their Q&A. However, they note that all fuels have issues when they're in storage for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back