There's a leg in the way ...³

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by dishdude
The dashboard is touching the seat!
shocked2.gif

Almost
There's a leg in the way ...³

Yikes

I've been needing a truck ever since I had a home built on 5 acres. Haven't bought one only because I don't like driving a truck. I'm not brand biased unlike most truck guys.
I'm definitely not buying a Toyota after seeing this.

Passenger side photo of the
F150 and the Chevy 1500

The Chevy (black) did not fare any better than the Toyota

07C2ACC7-0091-4E0D-ADF5-2D056F5595A9.jpeg

57A45EAD-9483-47F5-B2D0-F627146F72DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
The Chevy (black) did not fare any better than the Toyota

The truck may not have fared better, but the occupant did. That's the difference in structure performance and injury performance. Both shared a poor rating for structure (both deformed too much), but injury performance was much better in the Silverado.

Silverado: Small overlap on the passenger side showed a moderate risk for right leg injury. Everywhere else was good.

Tundra: Small overlap on the passenger side showed a significant risk for left leg injury, likely risk for right leg injury, and moderate risk for hip/thigh injury.

The Tundra is just old.

Indeed. Makes me wonder if it's time to move on, that's kinda sad performance. [Says the guy still driving a 20 year old car--that's probably far worse for my health than this sub-standard Tundra.]

I would be interested in the effects of skid plates vs. no skid plates on the Running Over A Prius Test. A careful examination on the effects of skid plates for protecting the occupants of the pickup would be valuable.

Great idea Dave9!

I am still cleaning up the coffee spray from laughing out loud.

I am vividly recollecting a drive to an appointment while stuck behind a Prius driver that insisted on driving 10 mph under the speed limit on a two lane curvy highway with no safe way to get around towards the nearby college that the Prius driver was early to work at..

Yes, I would find that testing useful..

Thank you Dave9, I enjoyed the laugh!

It seems to me that the position of the seat could make a big difference... i.e. all the way forward or all the way back or somewhere in between. I wonder how they decide where to put it for the crash test... and where they actually put it?

From now on... I'm going to roll the seat as far back as possible in everything I drive.

Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
It seems to me that the position of the seat could make a big difference... i.e. all the way forward or all the way back or somewhere in between. I wonder how they decide where to put it for the crash test... and where they actually put it?

From now on... I'm going to roll the seat as far back as possible in everything I drive.

I would bet they control the leg to dash distance very carefully.

What does the "second test shown" reference with the Chevy pertain to ? I'd think they look at the worst case not pick the better result. I'm guessing they had a flaw or failure with the 1st test that they don't count against the vehicle.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Originally Posted by twoheeldrive

I would bet they control the leg to dash distance very carefully.

At a minimum, they'd position the seats in all vehicles to maintain the same distance across them. That won't necessarily mean the seat is in the middle of its adjustment or offset a fixed amount forward or backward either.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
... At a minimum, they'd position the seats in all vehicles to maintain the same distance across them. That won't necessarily mean the seat is in the middle of its adjustment or offset a fixed amount forward or backward either.
Probably at a position appropriate to the leg length of the standard dummy used in the test. That means a shorter dummy (or human!) would be at a big disadvantage in this sort of crash when the dash gets pushed rearward.

Honestly none of them fared badly. A broken leg or even 2 in a head on is no big deal. From the look of them I doubt that the Toyota would have even done that. That dashboard is all plastic and rounded for a reason. The big issue now as it was in the 60 s is seat belts. They're still the primary personal defense no matter how well built they are or number of airbags.

Originally Posted by Driz
Honestly none of them fared badly. A broken leg or even 2 in a head on is no big deal. From the look of them I doubt that the Toyota would have even done that. That dashboard is all plastic and rounded for a reason. The big issue now as it was in the 60 s is seat belts. They're still the primary personal defense no matter how well built they are or number of airbags.

If the firewall ends up in your lap in a crash seatbelts will not save you. That type of crush from the tundra is not acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back