Fram TG7317 1000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Fram Tough Guard 7317 cut open off of my Mitsubishi. Oil change was done in Oct 2019 to store the car for winter. Refilled with the same grade of Pennzoil Platinum. Replaced with a Royal Purple filter because I wanted to try them "For Science". This car is only a seasonal car driven on the weekends that the weather is nice hence the low mileage. Not to impressed with the gap in the one section though..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wonder if all filters have that same gap? I know the Wix for my 300ZX always had that huge gap.

Pretty sure the machine that forms the media tends to leave that gap by the seam when it glues & crimps it. At least the wide pleats don't generally tear like they do on the metal crimped low end Purolator filters.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if all filters have that same gap? I know the Wix for my 300ZX always had that huge gap.

I am wondering if that may be where the two ends of the media meet when the media gets assembled

Even with the wide gap, there are no signs of the pleats bending, so Fram's media seems to be very strong. If that was weaker brittle media like in some Purolators the media might have bend over and tore from the oil flowing over the pleats in that area.

All things considered, it looks goodand oil looks real clean
smile.gif

Thank You for c&p

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
... I am wondering if that may be where the two ends of the media meet when the media gets assembled
That's right. However, my Chinese-made TG10358 cartridge has more even spacing, even at the joint, proving the wide gap is avoidable.

I've run these and they do OK - better than factory on NIssan 4 pots.

I prefer less efficiency in these small filters. Bt TG had the features I wanted like pliable rubber ADBV - though xtra guard has them now too.

I don't understand why the oil change.

1K is nothing on PP. You would be good for 3 years.

And Stude's post reminds me I still owe a long overdue

OEM Honda Japanese filter C&P from my 2012 Fit. sport 1.5

I don't know if we've seen one of those before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back