Chysler T&C 3.6 Pentastar coolant bleeding FOREVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did what I thought would be a simple radiator drain and fill and it's been bleeding out the bleeder screw now for over an hour. Radiator cap is tight, reservoir full and hasn't move at all during this time. Should I just let it keep running and venting? There's no leaks, it's been fine till I decided to do maintenance! Temp 230-240 with bleed screw loose.

2016 Town and Country

Last edited:
When I rev it it just spews more, but it also climbs towards 240 so I wasn't comfortable revving it much.

I shut it off, took the radiator cap off (wasn't hot), put about 3 quarts in it until it filled up, put the cap back on quick and now the bleed valve either spews coolant, or nothing at all depending on whether the thermostat is open I guess. So I think I'm to a point where it's ok.

I guess I was bleeding a LOT of radiator empty space out through the bleed valve.

I think I may have messed up by not topping off the radiator with the cap off. When I first had the radiator full it kept burping coolant out. I let it run for a few minutes, came back out and put the cap on. When I did that I think I closed up a bunch of air in the radiator. I think what I should have done was make sure the radiator was full before I put the cap on.

Last edited:
Close everything up until you have temperature and then crack the bleed a few times over the course of about 10 minutes to get out the trapped air. Turn front and back heaters,(if equipped), to high temp and high fan. After this drive the vehicle for a few miles and park overnight. Make sure the overflow bottle is at high hot level before parking. Hopefully the replacement coolant matches the stuff you drained out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would keep the radiator cap off as well. It should speed up the bleeding process. Make sure to keep an eye on the level in the radiator, not the overflow tank, and keep topping off until it stops dropping.

If the cap were the high spot, they wouldn't need the bleeder.

I'd follow dodges instructions, but, barring that, warm it up with the cap off but slam the cap on when it starts overflowing from there. Then open the bleeder, get the air out, close it, and let everything cool, sucking coolant in from the overflow tank.

Let it cool, note the overflow tank level, top off if required, note level, repeat.

Go for a drive facing up the steepest hill you can find, and gun it in low gear.

The Lisle coolant funnel is awesome
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back