Tried updating to W10 on Gateway laptop.... No go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 10 installed but I ended up not having wifi or lan connections. Gateway has no updated drivers so I went back to W 7......:(

Weird. Typically the generic Windows drivers should work. Or you could download the drivers directly from the manufacturer of your network adapter.

Install Ubuntu or Mint (based on Ubuntu, but more like windows). Not hard, current drivers, secure, and FREE! Unless you want to donate of course.

10 can usually be coaxed to run legacy drivers, but it's a little tough when you've already reverted it, and repeated attempts tend to corrupt the system. I hope you made a backup image before the first attempt.

You could go to 8.1 and get 3 more years of updates but you'll need an 8.1 activation code.

Microsoft's advice, which appears in the end of support nag screen, is to get a new computer.

My 7 to 10 went off w/o a hitch, and it still looks like 7! At first my Belarc Advisor showed me on 8, but I read that you need to update Belarc, which I did and now it shows 10.

Just did the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on my Getac S400G2 Rugged laptop. Worked fine, even though it's a pretty old laptop! Didn't need any extra drivers.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
10 GUI feel to much like a mobile surface.

You're thinking Win 8. Win 10 GUI looks very similar to Win 7, IMO.

Originally Posted by rekit
My 7 to 10 went off w/o a hitch, and it still looks like 7! At first my Belarc Advisor showed me on 8, but I read that you need to update Belarc, which I did and now it shows 10.

+1

Used Microsoft Migration Tool to upgrade older Toshiba C655. Everything working in Win10.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Windows 10 installed but I ended up not having wifi or lan connections. Gateway has no updated drivers so I went back to W 7......:(

What is the spec of the Gateway computer? in terms of CPU, etc.

Gateway, as a company, has been merged with Acer a long time ago.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Install Ubuntu or Mint (based on Ubuntu, but more like windows). Not hard, current drivers, secure, and FREE! Unless you want to donate of course.

+1
I already ditched Win7 on my laptop for Mint. I love it. Desktop is next.

Upgrade

OK, did it show the devices with exclamation marks or anything in Device Mangler? As I said, typically the Windows 7 drivers work without issue.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

What is the spec of the Gateway computer? in terms of CPU, etc.

Gateway, as a company, has been merged with Acer a long time ago.

lol, this topic so full of replies that crack me up!

No concern at all is needed for what CPU, etc is in it, just the specific network controller device IDs. For anything nonfunctional, go into Device Manager and get the Device IDs (right click on the adapter -> Properties -> Details (tab) -> (Property) "Hardware IDs" and copy down the DEV & SUBSYS ID strings, then web search those to identify them, then go to the respective chipset manufacturer for the driver. For example an NV55C appears to use Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet Driver
, though Gateway offers more than one wifi chipset on those so getting the Dev ID narrows it down to one.

The other way to do it is get the old driver from gateway (linked below) and look at the files in them to ID the chipset, then get it from that brand's site download webpage, but then you have to try all 3 till one works if you don't ID from the Device ID # in Device Mgr. or have another way - one other way is look at what Win7 shows for them in a working state.

http://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads
Enter product model NV55C, then you'll see Atheros, Broadcom, and Realtek wifi drivers at the bottom of the list. Again these are not meant to be the working Win10 drivers, just an aid to identify what you have if you choose that method instead of the other 2 methods that are preferred when possible which they should be since you have Win7 running again.

Then again, I wouldn't have advised to switch an old laptop to Win10 in the first place. MS ending Win7 support does not mean the sky is falling.

Last edited:
I did get the device I.D's for the network devices and the touchpad (Had issue with that too). Microsoft had updated drivers so I downloaded those. I did a W10 reinstall (upgrade) and now all is well.

Thanks for all the comments.

I did get the device I.D's for the network devices and the touchpad (Had issue with that too). Microsoft had updated drivers so I downloaded those. I did a W10 reinstall (upgrade) and now all is well.

Thanks for all the comments.

Great to hear
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back