Road Rage, Then vs Now

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
I have a CCW, but I don't actually want to kill anyone. I keep pepper spray in my car, for the crazy people.

I dont want to kill anyone, either. I'd never shoot someone with the intent to kill them. Only want to stop them as soon as humanly possible if I feel they are an immediate threat to my life or limb, or, when I lived in Texas, to my property

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Alot of rage is happening with people in general.

The difference is, the people that have the rage can't back it up. I've straightened them out very quickly, that's all I will say.

You find one that will back it up. I promise they exist.

I never want to kill anyone. Never want to even draw a weapon on them. But if I'm at the point where I fear for my life enough to draw and shoot, I'm going for the kill. Center mass. That's the best odds for stopping them. There's no such thing as trying to shoot for anything but center mass when under that kind of stress and duress. Once stopped, I'll pray they don't die, but it would take a situation so scary that I absolutely 100% feared for my life to even draw.

Honestly, my reluctance to hurt someone and reluctance to draw and shoot makes the odds that the attacker would probably get the jump on me.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I never want to kill anyone. Never want to even draw a weapon on them. But if I'm at the point where I fear for my life enough to draw and shoot, I'm going for the kill. Center mass. That's the best odds for stopping them. There's no such thing as trying to shoot for anything but center mass when under that kind of stress and duress. Once stopped, I'll pray they don't die, but it would take a situation so scary that I absolutely 100% feared for my life to even draw.

Honestly, my reluctance to hurt someone and reluctance to draw and shoot makes the odds that the attacker would probably get the jump on me.

I don't own a weapon, but I've taken a similar approach in thinking through my strategy with respect to any potential conflicts. I want to make sure I have taken every reasonable precaution against angering anyone, so if I have to react, I can safely assume the other person is seriously at fault and I have no other choice. And like you, given that situation, I won't stop until one of us is disabled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

The difference is, the people that have the rage can't back it up. I've straightened them out very quickly, that's all I will say.

Read what I said again, there's a reason I walk away, I was trained to, but confrontation is not what they will want.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Read what I said again, there's a reason I walk away, I was trained to, but confrontation is not what they will want.

Luck plays a role. Best to avoid when feasible. Seen trained fighters and others wreck themselves before on some dumb redneck who did nothing to win, lol. Sore jaw < fractured hand. Even in winning, the fighter lost.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Never confront someone unless you are ready, willing, and able to KILL that person, then and there.

If you are the on-foot pursuer and you kill someone at/near their vehicle, you better have a fantastic lawyer. Self defense you say?..... Good luck with that!

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Luck plays a role. Best to avoid when feasible. Seen trained fighters and others wreck themselves before on some dumb redneck who did nothing to win, lol. Sore jaw < fractured hand. Even in winning, the fighter lost.

That is what knuckledusters were made for.

A disturbing thread here for sure. Here's hoping for all of you a peaceful Sunday.

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.-Donne

A guardrail nut or a pound of roofing nails works better than change.

You think throwing "a pound of roofing nails" on a highway ONLY affects the guy directly behind you???

You ought to be arrested.

I didn't intend for this thread to get so dark. I was simply sharing how I used to react to road-ragers when I was younger (e.g., tit-for-tat) and what I do now, which is to simply let them be most of the time. I still flip the occasional bird, but that' pretty much it these days, especially if I've got family in the car. Typically, if someone is driving like a fool I'm not the only one who gets frustrated. Nowadays I'll just keep my fingers crossed the police will eventually make it too expensive for them to afford to drive...or,

On the darker side of my thoughts, I figure someone will eventually yolk that jerk up and "teach them a lesson." It's more of a morbid fantasy than a real wish, but the thought makes me feel better after major offenses by those intentionally drive like anuses.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

You think throwing "a pound of roofing nails" on a highway ONLY affects the guy directly behind you???

I'm pretty sure he was joking, though Jarlaxle has been in a pretty dark mood of late.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I didn't intend for this thread to get so dark. I was simply sharing how I used to react to road-ragers when I was younger (e.g., tit-for-tat) and what I do now, which is to simply let them be most of the time. I still flip the occasional bird, but that' pretty much it these days, especially if I've got family in the car. Typically, if someone is driving like a fool I'm not the only one who gets frustrated. Nowadays I'll just keep my fingers crossed the police will eventually make it too expensive for them to afford to drive...or,

On the darker side of my thoughts, I figure someone will eventually yolk that jerk up and "teach them a lesson." It's more of a morbid fantasy than a real wish, but the thought makes me feel better after major offenses by those intentionally drive like anuses.

I'm pretty sure he was joking, though Jarlaxle has been in a pretty dark mood of late.

lol, THIS is "dark"?

Originally Posted by Ws6

lol, THIS is "dark"?

What do you mean? You've got guys here talking about killing people or potentially having to kill people to defend themselves, supposedly over something as stupid as an on-road disagreement. The whackos of the world are pretty much why I don't confront anyone these days. I used to dare some people to throw the first punch, but that was when I was young and stupid. Even for those of you who CCW, who's to say that your defensive attitude will result in reaction times faster than a psychopath whose first and only inclination is to hurt you because you stepped to them?

What am I trying to say? Stick with what most people in this thread have said: drive normally, ignore the idiots, and don't assume you'll be able to outthink a whacko who may just be looking for a reason to take out their frustrations on someone. I.e., don't put yourself in a position to be that VERY rare statistic, even if you CCW.

I have been in a pretty dark mood for about 30 years.

I was mostly joking...though I HAVE known people who carried nails. One never left the garage without a pound of roofing nails in her bike's tank bag.

I would rather use a 3lb shot put, personally.

What do you mean? You've got guys here talking about killing people or potentially having to kill people to defend themselves, supposedly over something as stupid as an on-road disagreement. The whackos of the world are pretty much why I don't confront anyone these days. I used to dare some people to throw the first punch, but that was when I was young and stupid. Even for those of you who CCW, who's to say that your defensive attitude will result in reaction times faster than a psychopath whose first and only inclination is to hurt you because you stepped to them?

What am I trying to say? Stick with what most people in this thread have said: drive normally, ignore the idiots, and don't assume you'll be able to outthink a whacko who may just be looking for a reason to take out their frustrations on someone. I.e., don't put yourself in a position to be that VERY rare statistic, even if you CCW.

I didn't find it dark.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I didn't find it dark.

I didn't either
21.gif
Or perhaps our perceptions of what's dark is slightly darker than most?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

I didn't find it dark.

I didn't either
21.gif
Or perhaps our perceptions of what's dark is slightly darker than most?

Probably. Not a thing to be proud of, but it is what it is.

Back