UOA shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got a bit of a conundrum. I just drew a UOA sample from a 2017 subaru wrx. I'm concerned with possible fuel dilution.

I ordered a few UOA kits from a local amsoil guy for Oil Analyzers inc. He says they're back ordered an he'll call me when they come in.

I can send them to Blackstone lab but with over $100 in UOA kits on order this isn't really optimal. I've also read a lot of conversations about them not being overly precise with regards to fuel dilution.

So my question is how long is a UO sample valid for can I wait for my UOA kits? If not, should I get it out right now and is it worth sending to Blackstone labs?

How much does an oil analysis cost vs an oil change, that would be my 1st step if the oil change is only a few $ more that's what I'd do and also get peace of mind.
UOA are really intended for fleet or big trucks where a small savings can be multiplied by the nbr of liters of oil used.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
So I've got a bit of a conundrum. I just drew a UOA sample from a 2017 subaru wrx. I'm concerned with possible fuel dilution.

I ordered a few UOA kits from a local amsoil guy for Oil Analyzers inc. He says they're back ordered an he'll call me when they come in.

I can send them to Blackstone lab but with over $100 in UOA kits on order this isn't really optimal. I've also read a lot of conversations about them not being overly precise with regards to fuel dilution.

So my question is how long is a UO sample valid for can I wait for my UOA kits? If not, should I get it out right now and is it worth sending to Blackstone labs?

Get some from NAPA for $16/each. They may need to get from warehouse but that is a day at most. No need to spend what Oil Analyzers or Blackstone charge. NAPA gives the TBN also. No extra charge like Blackstone.

From Blackstone labs' FAQ:

I took a sample three months ago and forgot to send it in. It's been on a shelf in my garage ever since. Can I still send it in? Will the results still be good?

Should be fine.

As long as it's in a sealed container i believe it will be ok.

Originally Posted by Donald

Get some from NAPA for $16/each. They may need to get from warehouse but that is a day at most. No need to spend what Oil Analyzers or Blackstone charge. NAPA gives the TBN also. No extra charge like Blackstone.

I didn't know Napa did UOA!

Originally Posted by Pelican
How much does an oil analysis cost vs an oil change, that would be my 1st step if the oil change is only a few $ more that's what I'd do and also get peace of mind.
UOA are really intended for fleet or big trucks where a small savings can be multiplied by the nbr of liters of oil used.

Sorry my fault. I should have specified. I did change the oil and took the sample at the same time. My concern is more so the validity and fuel dilution in the sample if I don't get it out right away.

I didn't know Napa did UOA!

So does RA and Wally's sells the Wix kit via 3rd party vendor for abt $13 and that includes shipping to you, so not priced bad at all.

Last edited:
As long as your used sample is sealed and properly obtained, should not be an issue. Agitate the the oil to mix anything that may have settled and add it to the sample bottle when received.

The Cleveland Open Cup Flash Point test by Blackstone does not test for fuel directly. They correlate the flashpoint of the oil with possible causes including fuel dilution. Manufacturers flashpoint specs vary, and even within the same brand the spec can vary depending on formulation.

I would use Oil Analyzers if you are concerned with Fuel Dilution.

Blackstone is not advanced enough to get accurate fuel dilution figures. Amsoil's Oil Analyzers, is sent to Polaris Labs Inc. They have the high $$$ equipment to properly give you a proper fuel dilution figure. BUT you have to play a "game" with Polaris Labs, they will give you the simple fast % with the cheap test, you call back for description of your test by a person and tell them you want the advance test that has the more accurate %. It's kind BS you have to play this game with them, but they have the equipment to get the more accurate readings. Just be forewarned the test is really only good up to 5% after that they give you a 5%> figure. If you want to order bottles and get it to Polaris through their private label 3rd party system that Amsoil uses. Amsoil or JG Lubrication it all goes to Polaris Labs. Go here, I use them at work. The owner is a retire lead engineer at Allison transmission.

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html

Added note: I bought my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T knowing I would have a high fuel dilution problem and bought a 10 pack test kit from JG to watch it. And yes, I was over 5% I am a short tripper 10 miles back and forth to work in Minneapolis Minnesota. I gain as much as 1/2 liter PLUS of fuel after 1,000 miles and then it levels off. I dump at 3,000 miles in winter and go 3,750 in summers since I am on boost more then most. What you learn and a Honda 1.5T guy on here that has it worse then I did, is you learn with all the testing you don't have any worse wear then if you did not have the dilution problem. You get all worried for basically nothing. It still bugs you, I know, but you keep testing and you keep getting normal wear so eventually you give up testing and change your oil at a rough service interval and ENJOY your car. Run about 3 tests so you see you are fine and then move on like most of us fuel dilution owners do.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

Originally Posted by Mainia
Blackstone is not advanced enough to get accurate fuel dilution figures. Amsoil's Oil Analyzers, is sent to Polaris Labs Inc. They have the high $$$ equipment to properly give you a proper fuel dilution figure. BUT you have to play a "game" with Polaris Labs, they will give you the simple fast % with the cheap test, you call back for description of your test by a person and tell them you want the advance test that has the more accurate %. It's kind BS you have to play this game with them, but they have the equipment to get the more accurate readings. Just be forewarned the test is really only good up to 5% after that they give you a 5%> figure. If you want to order bottles and get it to Polaris through their private label 3rd party system that Amsoil uses. Amsoil or JG Lubrication it all goes to Polaris Labs. Go here, I use them at work. The owner is a retire lead engineer at Allison transmission.

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html

Added note: I bought my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T knowing I would have a high fuel dilution problem and bought a 10 pack test kit from JG to watch it. And yes, I was over 5% I am a short tripper 10 miles back and forth to work in Minneapolis Minnesota. I gain as much as 1/2 liter PLUS of fuel after 1,000 miles and then it levels off. I dump at 3,000 miles in winter and go 3,750 in summers since I am on boost more then most. What you learn and a Honda 1.5T guy on here that has it worse then I did, is you learn with all the testing you don't have any worse wear then if you did not have the dilution problem. You get all worried for basically nothing. It still bugs you, I know, but you keep testing and you keep getting normal wear so eventually you give up testing and change your oil at a rough service interval and ENJOY your car. Run about 3 tests so you see you are fine and then move on like most of us fuel dilution owners do.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

Thanks for all your input. Car looks sweet! Which kit do you buy for fuel dilutions? The advanced or ultimate?

[/quote]

Thanks for all your input. Car looks sweet! Which kit do you buy for fuel dilutions? The advanced or ultimate?
[/quote]

I bought the basic since that gives you fuel dilution, but I wished I did the advanced for more info. Even the oil analyst guy there I work with because he use to race Hyundai's and built engines, wished I did the next level to advanced for him to see how the engines running.

Originally Posted by Mainia
[/quote]

I bought the basic since that gives you fuel dilution, but I wished I did the advanced for more info. Even the oil analyst guy there I work with because he use to race Hyundai's and built engines, wished I did the next level to advanced for him to see how the engines running.

.[/quote]

OK that's good to know. It doesn't show fuel dilution being part of the test. Without looking back at it again I think the advanced has TBN and TAN. That's probably the one I'll go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back