Work shoes/ boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Milwaukee's are the heaviest boot KEEN makes!
I work on cement floors with steel plates and lots of stairs. Any oil,water ,solvent or ink make it slippery. I have had Plantar fasciitis on and off for the last fifteen years.
Some boots last a few weeks some a few months.
Counted sixteen brands with different boots in some brands.
I have been wearing KEEN boots at work and at home since September and so far they've helped. I walk my dogs alot in the city on concrete so I am on it alot.
I have to wear safety toe at work . Keen has more options in safety toe than soft toe.
If you don't need the heavy duty boots try some hiker style. The Coburg is a real boot ,but It's lightweight and has a good slip resistant outsole and with the K-20 insoles they are like slippers. I alternate with the Lansing but they are not as slip resistant.
I did have to try a few different styles before I found the right fit. KEEN is good about returns as long as you mess them up.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info and ideas fellas. I have Friday off so I'm going to check these out
[Linked Image]

In the soft toe version and then I'm going to the redwing store.

I'm a Power substation construction and maintenance F-2 running 6 journeymen. We are outside every day rain or shine . Our work surface is 1" base coarse gravel. But there is a lot of excavating work in what we do so normally our job sites have open trench's and lots of mud and this time of year it's ice at the beginning of stage projects. When the work areas get bad enough each of us carry a pair of knee high Muck brand steel toes.
I'm getting ready to retire hence the big change in needs for foot wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew
I'm a Power substation construction and maintenance F-2 running 6 journeymen. We are outside every day rain or shine . Our work surface is 1" base coarse gravel. But there is a lot of excavating work in what we do so normally our job sites have open trench's and lots of mud and this time of year it's ice at the beginning of stage projects. When the work areas get bad enough each of us carry a pair of knee high Muck brand steel toes.
I'm getting ready to retire hence the big change in needs for foot wear.

May I recommend (based on other threads posts) using some baby oil on the leather? (for cleaning and softening of the leather)

Originally Posted by Railrust
I have three pairs of Redwings

Redwing 415's -- Durable work boot, a little bit of insulation, not too heavy, great on concrrete floors. 2 years in these things (rotating every other day) and they are still going strong.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/415-red-wing-shoes/415-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

Irish Setter Wingshooter -- Like walking on a cloud - no break in what so ever - they give you some insulation, nice looking boot. I wear them every other day. I also do yard work and mountain bike in them. NOT Good on concrete if the floor gets wet, but they are so comfortable.

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/hunting-boots/waterproof-hunting-boots/wingshooter-00838.html

Redwing Heritage - The god father of work boots. Beatiful looking boot. Hurts like [censored] to break in, light ,not insulated. Look AMAZING. I have never worn them to work - I intended to, but they looked so good I just couldn't.

https://www.redwingheritage.com/mens-leather-boots-shoes/classic-moc-08856.html?cgid=mens

I also have owned Chippewa...you can't go wrong with them. Stay away from Timberland (cheap, don't last). My next pair will be Thorogoods.

I beat the ever living tar out of my boots...water, cold, cement floors, grease, oil, sand, salt, mud. ^^^^^ These boots are all durable.

This ^

You just can't go wrong with Wingshooter. They look similar to Redwing model, I use them (Wingshooter) for hunting as well. I'm not sure if you've ever considered possibly even a Salomon? That might work as well. Known to be good.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I used to wear redwing steel toes many years ago with good service. I tried on 5 different boots at cabelas, scheels and runnings. My choice ended up being the San Jose 6" Keen. That boot was very comfortable and what I really liked about it was they have real good arch support due to the way the sole is constructed. The pair that I tried on was the aluminum toe version. They didn't have the non hard toe so I ordered a pair on Amazon. Should work good at home around the shop.

Probably the most comfortable work shoe I ever used was from a company called Shoes for Crews. They are specifically designed for restuarant cooks, factory workers, etc. where people are on their feet for nearly their entire shift. They have anti-slip soles like I've never seen in another shoe. You can walk through antifreeze or motor oil on a shop floor and never know it.

As far as the longest lasting for me....and I've owned nearly every brand mentioned here based on recommendations...I keep going back to Wolverine boots. I work in and haul petroleum, so I have to stand on residual gasoline at times at the terminal where we load. Nothing will deteriorate the construction of a boot like petroleum. Nothing else I've tried has held up better than Wolverine's.

Redwings used to be the best. Rdwings has shifted about half of their production to China. The last ReDwings I bought were Chinnese made JUNK that literally fell apart within two months even though I work indoors and do light laboratory work. Redwing refused to warranty them. Don't buy Redwing ever again. Chineese JUNK.

I just got a pair of Danner Vicious composite toe boots delivered today. Initial impressions are they're very comfortable.

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of Caroline Union Made Low Moc Toe boots. CA7003.

Time will tell how comfortable they are, but Im thinking they will be good. Working on my feet in my basement or garage workshops does take its toll on my feet.

I am only a weekend user if that, but needed a good comfortable pair. Usually I wear my Keen hiking boots (US made), or else birkenstocks. Occasionally sneakers.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Agree on the Wolverines GoldDot.
Which model Shoes for Crews did you buy? Was it these below? They make a bunch of different styles.
https://www.amazon.com/Shoes-Crews-...mp;psc=1&refRID=GXGSJ35D388N3XYMV7QT

I don't see the last style I had last. It's been 20 years so it's likely they aren't available anymore. Last ones I had looked like a copy of a Timberland hiking boot. They are absolutely a great shoe for anybody working in the industries they are designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back