2013 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost surge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost in the family and it has a surge/shudder under light load. RPMs fluctuate by like 250. Just goes up and down constantly. It's like when you're cruising between 30-45 mph - anything under 2000 rpm. Runs completely normal at higher RPMs like on the highway. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Things to try:

-New spark plugs. Even low level misfires that don't throw a CEL can cause surging. Replace the COP boots while you're in there and use a bit of dielectric grease to make removal easier and reduce the chance of arcing.
-Dirty MAF (or MAP, depending which this engine has) sensor. Clean it.
-Slight leak in the post-turbo intake tubing. May need a smoke test to find this.
-Torn BOV diaphragm. This can have the same affect as a leak in the tubing.
-Leaking wastegate actuator tubing or solenoid. Wastegate is opening and closing when it shouldn't. Pressure test the line from the solenoid to the wastegate at the turbo. It should hold pressure (don't go higher than 15psi in that system, no compressors).

Also possible, but less likely is that The torque converter is locking and unlocking repeatedly making the rpms fluctuate. Not sure how to test for this without a dedicated Ford diagnostic system.

Last edited:
I'm not into Ford products. But why would it be risky to change tranny fluid?
I had the Colorado done recently at 14Y/125K. Had the now donated Malibu done at 15Y/110K. Both are fine 1-1/2 years later.

Last edited:
Drain and fill the transmission a couple of times over the next 1000miles and you shouldn't have any problems. Each time will change out half of the fluid or so. Should be Mercon LV in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back