Nissan Titan any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by buster
In the full size market, the Titan would not be on my list. I'd go with the big 3 as well as Toyota and Honda.

I really want to like the Ridgeline but TB, VCM and trans programming that won't let me lock into 1st (or lock out gears in general) bug me too much. Otherwise I think it'd make a fine... what would you call it? Half size truck? LOL. No, I think it meets needs for many people, but it meets mine, outside of a few quirks that I don't like. Kinda niche but nothing wrong with that. Maybe mpg: it seems like it should do better than what it does, but I do know it'd fit better into my garage than my full sized truck would (or I should say, doesn't).

I like the Honda a lot for day to day driving. And I love that it has a great AWD system. I think you can deactivate the VCM. The MPG is great on the Honda.

Love my Honda - best day to day vehicle I think Ive ever owned, fantastic AWD system.

Love my titan - Ive driven everything and have been in anything yet that really beats it except for the latest 6.2, and the 3.5 ecoboost.

For day to day full size truck that are empty, w nothing on the hitch are terrible

UD

Sorry- you not selling me on the Honda- they had their chance to do right. Nothing against the car- no real complaints, just Honda Canada and the local stealership. They lost a customer over poor warranty workmanship.

Originally Posted by 4WD
How did you determine the metal is thin ?

I think that Nissan is the worst looking truck in history … don't agree with you there

You came here fishing … did not hear what you wanted … mind made up.

Feel better now? Remind me why I would care if you agree or not- I'm the OP- I won't apologize that my taste runs elsewhere. Looking at sales numbers vs the other trucks, looks like many more agree with me.

Last edited:
Found an informative Titan forum. https://www.titantalk.com/
- seems like fuel mileage is a common complaint with Toyota too- lead foot?
- early Dana S 44 rear end issues, but well before the years I'm looking at.
- usual newer gen vehicle electrical issues.
- nothing really stands out bad or good, bodies seem to hang out.
- used 2015 or earlier sub 100k km is around 25k cdn$
- Tundra 30-37ish cdn$

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dfarr67

- nothing really stands out bad or good, bodies seem to hang out.

Titans are a rare siting in the Buffalo NY area for sure, so it's obviously not a large sampling, but the older ones I've seen around had no rust or holes I could see from the street. I cannot say that for the big 3 trucks. I've seen relatively young trucks riddled with holes.

Same with the smaller Frontier. I've never seen a mid 2000's or newer one rusted out and there's many more of those on the roads than the Titan. My FIL's company used Frontier 4x4, crew cabs for company vehicles for years. Never an issue with them, even with the off road conditions they would see. The only problem is the 15-16mpg they would get with how they used them. Their full sized Chevies would get better MPG, but had more problems.

To me, the fuel economy thing is relative to the low tech powertrain on these. They're built on early 2000's tech when fuel consumption wasn't on the radar.

Last edited:
OMG= you are the OP!! … does not make you an expert and now you got mad and reverted with cocky personal attacks … what's that for ? You feel better now ?
And last I heard you don't own this site. I'm quite sure you don't want to hear constructive criticism of your self perceptions on that LT ~ so you exposing bias means you are not interested in anything but assurance … doubt Oprah is a member
I have owned many trucks, buy them for a large company and live in an LT Mecca. Titans are rare sightings, why?

Also know 2 guys who bought one each Titans … went back to previous brands

Just left a smoke house with a single Titan parked next to an awesome Ram and Ford
Much more clear what looks better in that setting. And these other claims are just not seen in this over saturated market

There are many sites bringing up EARLY loss in value (I'd plan to keep a long time and don't expect beyond middle shelf reliability … which others pointed out. Be a good one to run the wheels off and wholesale

I have a 2017 king cab 4x4 S model. The only options were the towing package and a spray-in bedliner. I bought it based on a combination of aggressive price cutting, rebates and warranty. Looks weren't really a consideration because it was purchased for the sole purpose of towing my boat on interstate fishing trips because I don't trust my 98 Chevy for long trips anymore.

I paid around $26.5K plus tax in December of 2017. Sticker was around 33K IIRC. It's only been driven around 12K miles but 95% have been with a boat attached and so far it has been trouble free. I consider it a significant upgrade over my old truck. The 100K, five year warranty gives me some comfort but I haven't had to use it yet.

I cringe when I think how much it's going to cost to replace those giant tires.

How big are the tires … ?

I have the Generals seen on Titans on my Z71

2E3E2BA2-C250-4A14-8587-ED3879A2262F.png

I also cringed when I had to replace the optional Michelin tires on my tundra. 1200$. had to replace at 50k not because wore out but dry rot from florida heat and sun

Opinions on trucks from non owners or those without documented experience - carry little to no weight.

Watch at 2014 titan destroy a chevy 5.3 in a towing test and give the chevy 6.2 a run for its money

This is basically the same truck as the 04 - the titan engine and drivetrain is so good it remained competitive for over a decade.(and is still formidable today)

The TFL guys always liked the titan ....why because as they say- its a great truck .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIbVuIuslY

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 9.03.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by super20dan
I also cringed when I had to replace the optional Michelin tires on my tundra. 1200$. had to replace at 50k not because wore out but dry rot from florida heat and sun

Ouch. How is it even possible to spend $1200 on a set of Michelins? I got 4 new Michelins on my Tundra less than 18 months ago and mine were just $647 installed, at Sam's Club

How OLD were the tires? I have several vehicles that the tires will age out (become hard and dry-rotted), long before they wear out.

Yeah … widespread if you don't shop it hard. I spent that much on Goodyear Kevlar LT285's. Had a medical treatment scheduled and cranked the engine getting a tire message … sure enough, roofing nail in the shoulder … only quick enough solution was these overpriced tires. (and giving up shopping the big city)

Originally Posted by Elkins45

I cringe when I think how much it's going to cost to replace those giant tires.

Assuming we're talking 265/70R18's, there's options that aren't too bad for this application.

I popped the numbers in on a local tire chain's site and they had options starting at $140/tire installed. Tons of options in the $200/tire installed range.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Opinions on trucks from non owners or those without documented experience - carry little to no weight.

Watch at 2014 titan destroy a chevy 5.3 in a towing test and give the chevy 6.2 a run for its money

This is basically the same truck as the 04 - the titan engine and drivetrain is so good it remained competitive for over a decade.(and is still formidable today)

The TFL guys always liked the titan ....why because as they say- its a great truck .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIbVuIuslY

Thanks- good reply. The older [censored] transmissions have not been as rock solid as I would have liked in the 90's, haven't read anything neg on these ones. Also as commented on the vid- I like the smaller size, no need for bloat. I would have put money on the inline valve 5.3L having more torque over a 4v.

Last edited:
My titan get almost 100% towing duty.

the trans is super soild - Ive been yanking a 7500lb boat around since 09 through the 110+ dessert heat and hills.

You just cant overheat it which if you are careless can happen if one starts lugging it on hills - just rock eth box and watch trans temps plummet

manually shift from 5-4-3 in teh hills and the console version is super slick with easy gates allowing up and downshifting with no chance of going to 2nd accidentally.

the rear end needed more cooling and an aftermarket Stillen cover provided that- and as far as I know thats all Nissan changes was the actual cover, but mayne not - so far not a hint of any trouble from the engine trans,

I take better care than most because of my hard duty cycling of teh rig it gets regular drain and fills, great oil at between 5-7K, top line filters, oil and magnets everywhere I can get them.

I havent leaked it down but it still gets the same mileage as when new and doenst burn or leak a drop.

UD

IMG_8161.jpg

DSC08327.jpg

Last edited:
My chev has the 700R4 which after 5 rebuilds has held out well behind the 383...so far, I could still break it at will;) You have to know how to cool them and when working keep them in D. So after keeping a 700 alive- all others should be no problem.

I never looked into diff efficiency for the Dana 44 or the Nissan version I have read how hot the Titan diff runs, I run TruTrac's in both my 4runner and chev- the chev 8.5in is pimped out with saddle studs, thick alum TA cover with saddle preloads- runs very warm but not hot. Also read that the Titan e-locker as machined is/was the weaker of the carriers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE

How OLD were the tires? I have several vehicles that the tires will age out (become hard and dry-rotted), long before they wear out.

tires were 10 years old had 2 blow outs in 1 month. got 4 new tires. tires after all the add ons and fees were 300$ each! got them at a goodyear dealer. its my business truck so I needed the tires right away. sams only had one in stock. Michelin LT tires 245 16 , next time I am getting the cheapest tires I can find as I only put 2000 miles a year on truck now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back