2009 corolla 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil cap states I can use either 5w20 or 0w20 oil. I'm not sure if I should run a conventional oil since I do 5k OCI or if I should run full synthetic oil. It seems like a waste to use full synthetic for 5k but I'm not sure

That engine would probably go 300K using SuperTech 5W20 @ 5K OCI's. The only concern of long OCI's on your engine would be the timing chain system wear
would be more vs shorter OCI's.

The OCI is 5k miles (8k kms). My 07, Ive used 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 5w40, 5w50. This engine will take whatever you give it. Ive alsorun conventional but mainly syn since like many of us, I seek out deals. A solid price for oil combined with mail in rebate comes out to the same or cheaper than conventional. Worst case a 5qt of Supertech syn can be had for 16$ or so. That price to me makes it a no brainer. Ive run my oil to 6200 miles using a syn oil and cheapo napa proselect and my oil analysis was excellent, could of gone longer. If I were you, run 6k miles and use the cheapest syn you can find. Even if u choose to go conventional, that engine will outlast the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rolla07
The OCI is 5k miles (8k kms). My 07, Ive used 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 5w40, 5w50. This engine will take whatever you give it. Ive alsorun conventional but mainly syn since like many of us, I seek out deals. A solid price for oil combined with mail in rebate comes out to the same or cheaper than conventional. Worst case a 5qt of Supertech syn can be had for 16$ or so. That price to me makes it a no brainer. Ive run my oil to 6200 miles using a syn oil and cheapo napa proselect and my oil analysis was excellent, could of gone longer. If I were you, run 6k miles and use the cheapest syn you can find. Even if u choose to go conventional, that engine will outlast the car.

Think it's a waste to use the Oem filter too? I could run the ST 10358 and their 5w20 synthetic for 5 k and the filter would probably hold up well

It just seems to me with the low price of synthetics from Warren, less than $15 for a 5 quart jug, why not use them?
Other brands can be had for about $22 for a 5 quart jug.

Just my 2 cents...

Synthetic is 5k oil to me, It isn't really more expensive to think about even. Maybe with a Frantz or other of that type filter, go to 7500.

^^^^^. Exactly. ST synthetic is better than any other brands conventional aat the same price.

With rebates posted here, you can get Pennzoil, M1, and most recently Shell rotella gass truck (and vehicle can use it) for around less than $12/5qt jug. Got a deal for RGT at $8/5qt jug in december. Just stock up when its cheap.

Oem filters by the 5 to 10count case is cheaper than single.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Originally Posted by gregk24
What is the OCI per the manual?

5k oil and filter

For the 11 year Corolla, I'd move up to 5w30 and run Walmart's Quaker State Durability or Castrol Magnatec.... both less than $20.
If you buy a good filter with red silicone ADBV,....ie.... Wix or Fram Toughguard).... use it for two OCIs (10K). If your OEM Toyota filter is red silicone ADBV, that's another option for two OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
That engine would probably go 300K using SuperTech 5W20 @ 5K OCI's. The only concern of long OCI's on your engine would be the timing chain system wear would be more vs shorter OCI's.

Can we correlate longer OCIs to timing chain wear?

Originally Posted by wwillson
Originally Posted by skyactiv
That engine would probably go 300K using SuperTech 5W20 @ 5K OCI's. The only concern of long OCI's on your engine would be the timing chain system wear would be more vs shorter OCI's.

Can we correlate longer OCIs to timing chain wear?

The long timing chain & VVT-i system will shear oil, and long OCIs could create more contamination (Si, soot, even dissolved iron) to increase chain wear. The '06 Matrix I maintain for my Mom gets 5W30 or 5W20 dino every 5K, my brother's '07 Corolla 1.8 is lucky if he brings it over every 10K for a 5W30 synthetic/Ultra change. If you're going to run dino, and especially 5W20, I wouldn't run it past 5K without a UOA-quality 5W30 synthetic (like the M1 EP 5W30 I use in my xB) could easily make 10K (verified via UOA in my case).

On my 2010 1.8L Corolla I run 6-7K OCI with a synthetic, previously Mobil 1 and lately QSUD. No issues at 197K.

Supposedly the factory recommendation was 5K then later changed to 10K on my Corolla. Probably yours too. Toyota left the reminder at 5K because they want you in for tire rotations and checks.

On my 2004 Corolla I used to do 3K change with conventional oil at 66K I switched to full synthetic. I run my OCI from April to October and then October back to April.
The miles very a little but seems to be in the 6400 to near 7200 mile range. Everything seems to be doing just fine. UOA has come back showing pretty good life still left in the samples I've sent in. It's specked for 5W-30 but currently I'm running 5W-20 PUP HM and several times have run 10W-30. The oil that is one sale is what I use. I am not a fan boy of any name brand of oil.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
It seems like a waste to use full synthetic for 5k but I'm not sure

With synthetic under $3 a quart when on sale, how much cheaper can you find conventional?

Originally Posted by HangFire
... Supposedly the factory recommendation was 5K then later changed to 10K on my [2010] Corolla. Probably yours too. Toyota left the reminder at 5K because they want you in for tire rotations and checks.
That's all true. Their 10k recommendation is effectively conditioned on using synthetic oil, so I wouldn't recommend taking conventional oil that far.

The '07 version, which a couple of other posters have mentioned, was a different, older-design engine than 2009 and later.

Last edited:
No need for all of this 5k talk. That engine is really reliable and will run on anything you want give it. 8-10k on 5w30 syn and oem filter or for that matter any half decent oil filter. It's not complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back