Toyota Tundra Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2019 Toyota Tundra has a required 5,000 mile OCI because it is the Flex Fuel (FFV) engine. Even though I don't run E85 in it ever, which means I can probably do 10,000 like the non-FFV Tundras without issue, I don't want to void the warranty.

Anyway, my free Toyota Care oil changes are ending soon, and my dealership uses bulk Mobil Super Synthetic for the oil changes, but now I will be paying for it. Should I just let them continue to use that oil, or should I bring my own? If I bring my own, they will only charge me labor for the service. I was thinking for only a 5,000 mile OCI that Quaker State Ultimate Durability might be a better choice.

When I get out of warranty, I plan to do 10,000 mile OCI's with Mobil 1 EP. Until then, I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

*P.S. Would change it myself, like I did when I was younger, but I have rotator cuff tears in both shoulders and suffer from vertigo.

Last edited:
Considering your situation I would continue with the dealership as long as they have been treating you right and doing a good job.

I doubt you will gain any thing choosing a specific oil. Todays oils from the major companies are equal despite marketing claims especially on well designed engines [your engine] and at 5,000 mile intervals the engine should out last the rest of the vehicle with luck.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
At 5k mi, what ever option is cheaper for you!

How much does the dealer charge? Do they send out coupons?

$35 which includes tire rotation.

Any Synthetic motor oil today will handle 5K OCI's... Mobil Super Syn should work well for you and I would just stay with it. Are you sure they always use a syn oil? Make sure they do it. LOL.

Absolutely nothing wrong with mobil super synthetic at 5000 mile changes.

If you like the service from your dealer and they are not charging an excessive amount of money stick with them, it pays to have a good relationship with the dealer in times of need (warranty work).

I used to bring my own oil many times at the dealers. Not that I didn't like the oil they were using.
I would buy my oil and filter on sale and save like $35 or more.

Originally Posted by Tundra73

That's a good deal.

Nice deal on the synthetic oil change.... but...
Tires rotated by air tools every 5K at oil change departments, usually result in very premature broken lugs and stripped lug nuts.
I'll be rotating mine every 12K on our Kia and Hyundai..... that's every 3rd OCI. That includes a little Superlube grease on each lug thread.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Nice deal on the synthetic oil change.... but...
Tires rotated by air tools every 5K at oil change departments, usually result in very premature broken lugs and stripped lug nuts.
I'll be rotating mine every 12K on our Kia and Hyundai..... that's every 3rd OCI. That includes a little Superlube grease on each lug thread.

Agree but in his case he would have difficulty doing it. In fact most people cannot do it. I can't do mine either.

PimTac
I never asked he do it.
I made him aware that there will be times inside the next 20 visits, where he will likely be asked to pay for damaged lugs, lug nuts and oil pan drain bolts.
It's one of the downsides (there's more) to having both of those jobs performed by shops frequently. I chose to have a shop perform my (2) at 12K intervals.

At almost 70 years-old, I'm done rotating, installing and uninstalling size-18 tires. It won't be that many years ahead, where I quit doing my own oil changes also. I worked a very physical beer truck in the inner city for 30 years. Worst part were the 165lb barrel-tossings. My old bones are stiff & starting to really ache some days.

I'm down to drinking about two beers per week also. Can't even hang with the small dogs on the porch anymore....lol

Last edited:
I'm getting there myself. More and more I have a hard time getting up from under the vehicle. I'm also worried I will forget something like putting the drain plug back in. I have to double and triple check myself before going to the next step on a lot of things.

Thank you for all of the responses. I really do appreciate it. As far as making sure they are using synthetic, I am just going by the paper work showing 0w20 synthetic and then asking the tech guy what they use and he said Mobil 1 bulk. Because Mobil 1 is pretty expensive, I assume it is the Mobil SS because I highly doubt the dealership is spending the coin on bulk Mobil 1 EP or Mobil 1 AFE in 0w20.

Last edited:
Oh, and I just re-read the posts about when I said the oil change was $35. Let me clarify something. I think I may have confused you all. If I do nothing and let the dealer do it all, oil change, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection, the total is $108.00. The $35 I was writing about was what they would charge me for the multi-point inspection, tire rotation, and changing the oil and filter that I provide. So, you have to add the cost of the oil and filter I would buy at Walmart to the equation. Which for QSUD and filter, would be roughly $42. For a total of $77.00, which is cheaper than what the dealer charges total. Plus, unless they royally screw me, I would know exactly what oil is going in the engine.

Last edited:
At $35, it's still a good deal. I was charged $19 for a tire rotation-only by my Hyundai dealer. So $16 for labor-only oil change and inspection is good.

Oh, and I just re-read the posts about when I said the oil change was $35. Let me clarify something. I think I may have confused you all. If I do nothing and let the dealer do it all, oil change, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection, the total is $108.00. The $35 I was writing about was what they would charge me for the multi-point inspection, tire rotation, and changing the oil and filter that I provide. So, you have to add the cost of the oil and filter I would buy at Walmart to the equation. Which for QSUD and filter, would be roughly $42. For a total of $77.00, which is cheaper than what the dealer charges total. Plus, unless they royally screw me, I would know exactly what oil is going in the engine.

What filter are they using?

I think I would buy my own and take it in, that's $30 savings.

I also didn't know Mobil Super came in synthetic, when I bought my Lucerne I asked and they said Mobil Super so I just assumed it was the conventional/blend.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that. It's still a good deal and you can take advantage of sales and rebates to make it even better.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

What filter are they using?

I think I would buy my own and take it in, that's $30 savings.

I also didn't know Mobil Super came in synthetic, when I bought my Lucerne I asked and they said Mobil Super so I just assumed it was the conventional/blend.

They don't include the filter...I would be bringing a Toyota filter purchased at Walmart for $6. Also, yes, Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic: Mobil Super Synthetic You are thinking of Mobil Super, which is just a synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back