Shell Rotella gas truck oil change intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find anything online about oil change intervals. I have 145K on my vortec V8 and just switched. Anyone have any info on Intervals for 5W-30 Rotella?

Well I'd say RGT is a typical synthetic, should be capable of 5,000 - 7,500 mile intervals. I have seen a guy on youtube do a 12,000 mile interval with it, with a lab report sample saying he could have gone to 14,000 miles.

I've been using it for almost a year now - I do 5k mile intervals on my 5.3 2018 Silverado - using the required 0w20. Haven't had an issue yet. Like the oil...seems quieter, use less between intervals.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Well I'd say RGT is a typical synthetic, should be capable of 5,000 - 7,500 mile intervals. I have seen a guy on youtube do a 12,000 mile interval with it, with a lab report sample saying he could have gone to 14,000 miles.

I've been using it for almost a year now - I do 5k mile intervals on my 5.3 2018 Silverado - using the required 0w20. Haven't had an issue yet. Like the oil...seems quieter, use less between intervals.

I have the 4.8 V8. I have mine set for 7500 and then do an analysis on it. I was using Penz. Ultra premium at 10K and it had a fairly clean apperance at the drain. So I figured 7500 would be safe. I do tow quite a bit and 95% of the miles I put on her are interstate miles. But I agree drove 100 miles yesterday and it did seem guite a bit quieter even towing .

It seems to be inline with what SOPUS does. They never make an extended OCI product. Even to the there most expensive, best products, follow the OM. So according to that, it should do 10,000 miles on my Toyota.

To me … mostly about DI or not. Dilution still ruins long OCI PVL's
If that's not happening … 10k is doable

Originally Posted by gtrplr71
Originally Posted by Railrust

I have the 4.8 V8. I have mine set for 7500 and then do an analysis on it. I was using Penz. Ultra premium at 10K and it had a fairly clean apperance at the drain. So I figured 7500 would be safe. I do tow quite a bit and 95% of the miles I put on her are interstate miles. But I agree drove 100 miles yesterday and it did seem guite a bit quieter even towing .

I think 7,500 miles should be fine.

Make sure you send away for the rebate, because they are excellent with getting that rebate check to you. They ran their rebate all of last year and they are doing it again this year.

Originally Posted by 4WD
To me … mostly about DI or not. Dilution still ruins long OCI PVL's
If that's not happening … 10k is doable

Yeah I agree...direct injection has changed the game for me. I no longer go over 5,000 miles on my direct injected vehicles...port injection? Doesn't bother me nearly as much.

FWIW, this oil is not all GTL. It's part GTL and some other undisclosed base oil.

Originally Posted by buster
FWIW, this oil is not all GTL. It's part GTL and some other undisclosed base oil.

I believe you are correct researching now.

Buster tends to be correct!
He figured out what I'd been saying wrt to base stock and Dexos 1.2
If there were any flies on him they'd be paying rent 🤓

Originally Posted by gtrplr71
Can't find anything online about oil change intervals. I have 145K on my vortec V8 and just switched. Anyone have any info on Intervals for 5W-30 Rotella?

No 10w30 available for the 145K Vortec and your Texas heat?
If your engine is relatively clean, I'd change every 7K.

Does the OLM indicated oil change interval seem less on the direct injection V8s? On 2.4 Ecotecs it seems to be quite similar between direct and port versions, typically 6000 to 7000 miles for me, although I go on the side of caution and change with 20% remaining.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have two 5.3's, 2017 & 2018 … are you running 5k on your 2018 ?

Yeah, 5,000 miles is the most I'll do with it. You?

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Does the OLM indicated oil change interval seem less on the direct injection V8s? On 2.4 Ecotecs it seems to be quite similar between direct and port versions, typically 6000 to 7000 miles for me, although I go on the side of caution and change with 20% remaining.

For me - with the direct injected V8 - it almost always reads between 32%-35% at 5,000 miles. GM automatically brings it to 0% when you hit 7,500 miles regardless now.

Yeah since I'm on the road so much on a plane or rent cars … 6k/6 month is good enough
With this M1 AP blowout, still don't want to waste that unique 0w20 majority PAO.

At 5k, I plan to change my $4 filter (quart lost, so easy) and spike it with a quart of $3 SAE HD30 (ST). Figured multi vis gets there with VM and it's unpredictable if I gain in offset to diluted oil.
Single 30 grade should add viscosity to 0w20 with little doubt or chemical issues. It is SN plus anyway
Then it's a matter of when I chicken out. Likely going to be a year and done.

The 7500 lines up with the 1st time doing this with a bottle of Redline 0w30 … but at 9 months and 11% OLM … did that during the time I was on ramps doing other fluids.

When I hunted several AZ's the order was M1 AP, VME, RGT, PP … Solid Stash R Us

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back